LegacyGT.com

cold shifting issues 5MT

panicrev

2005 GT with 5MT 248,000 miles or so...

last year (200,000 miles at that point or so) i have noticed difficulty getting the car into any gear in sub 40 degree weather when the car is cold. the colder the outside ambient temperature the worse it is. once the car's engine/trans gets warm there is no issue. reverse is worse than the forward gears. anyone else have this issue or can point me to the thread for this topic if there is one? many thanks for any and all enlightenment...

Motul gear 300 is now the preferred fluid for a 5MT. I have no problems in either of my cars. Granted my 5mt doesn't have the miles yours does.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

first trans oil service was when i bought the car with 123,000ish miles and i put royal purple in it. no problems. roughly a year before the issue i bought the subaru trans oil and that is what is in there now. probably 50,000+ miles on the subie oil right now. i'll try the Motul oil...

stock master and slave cylinder for the clutch with the stock line. clutch fluid has been changed according to the shop manual spec

Changing out the transmission oil would be the first thing I would try. This Autumn, I put in Subaru Extra-S that I had stockpiled away. This Winter the transmission has been smoother than last.

Maybe I'll try Motul 300 next time around.

The Motul 300 is not cheap, but it is the best out there. I suggest you buy it from someone like http://www.tuningalliance.com or one of the trusted vendors on here that you'll want to build a relationship with.

OP, your in NJ, http://www.AZPinstalls.com is a great place you'll want to get to know.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived