LegacyGT.com

HELP!!! Need boxer rummmmble

• I Donated Too

If however the OP wants a lot of noise and release all his rumble the Borla is going the other way... it's a very quiet exhaust comparatively. My catless down with the Borla on equal length headers is very quiet and a lot more quiet than my other GT on a stock downpipe with an SPT v2 cat back... I was deliberately trying to make the exhaust quieter on my setup so Borla was the only way to make that happen.

Personally from meets and talking to others - my opinion is the magnaflows are good and loud but not a disaster on the highway without sounding like s h 1 t compared to the cheaper Ebay mufflers which also have fitment issues. Cheap cat backs are definitely loud but with a completely untuned, nasty raspy noise.

Agreed. Maybe I'm just the rare 21 year old that prefers a more subtle exhaust on my legacy. If OP really wants lots of rumble his best bet is to go single exit rather than dual and drop 0.5L displacement. Idk why but 2.0 GD WRX and 2.5 GD WRX chassis cars with the same exhaust every one I've heard the 2.0 is louder.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

• I Donated Too

A rare 21 year old that also bought quality as well as chose subtle. The Borla is such a great exhaust and very good quality. The 2.0's were definitely more boxer noise but none of the boxer rumble is actually good for the car! UEL was just cheaper for the turbo cars to manufacture but does nothing for performance.

I worry about this...

I love the sound from my Borla. The perfect subaru rumble without being "loud". I guess I'm a confused young one too.

I think my old Saabaru had the perfect subaru rumble with the full Cobb exhaust. It was a good bit louder than the Borla on the LGT though. I think that was enough noise to convince me to go quieter this time.

Saw a specB at my friends garage with stock unequal length "manifolds" (recommended) with a grim speed splitter? Connecting the two in the front/ center, qand invidia cbe w custom dp for new turbo. Was told it's the best sounding leggo around- but car intake was in pieces (due to new rotated turbo install) preventing them from starting her up for me :/

• I Donated Too

my recollection is the Q300 cat back is quite loud. It's not cheaper than a Borla but the quality will be there. I paid about $700 for my Borla but again, the Borla sounds nice but it's designed to be more quiet.

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/part/cat-back-exhaust-system/inv-hs15stig3t-invidia-q300-cat-back-exhaust-titanium-tip

No idea what a grimm speed splitter might be in the exhaust department - that sounds like something for a TMIC. UEL manifolds/headers - there's a bunch of those and grimm speed will port the stock cast headers too so maybe that's what that was... on our cars there's no way to get the exhaust to meet in the middle, it has to exit to one side of the engine, go up (up pipe) meet the turbo and then go back down (down pipe) - you wouldn't need anything custom unless the entire exhaust was fabricated and that's just silly... unless that's your thing.

No idea what a grimm speed splitter might be in the exhaust department - that sounds like something for a TMIC. UEL manifolds/headers - there's a bunch of those and grimm speed will port the stock cast headers too so maybe that's what that was... on our cars there's no way to get the exhaust to meet in the middle, it has to exit to one side of the engine, go up (up pipe) meet the turbo and then go back down (down pipe) - you wouldn't need anything custom unless the entire exhaust was fabricated and that's just silly... unless that's your thing.

I believe OP is talking about the ported crossover-pipe they used to sell.

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

Splitter was a poor choice of word.. it's the exhaust piece connecting driver side to passenger side exhaust manifold... has a flex piece in the middle, not sure what it does, maybe a smoother wider transfer?

Honestly the catless dp and up with hogzaust sounds as loud and nearly as good as some aftermarket systems.. my worry is dropping nearly a G, and not improving anything sound or performance wise. That'd suck serious ass

• I Donated Too

Ha! I was trying to find the page where GrimmSpeed talked about their custom porting and found this... which I assume they must have done for April 1st

http://www.grimmspeed.com/grimmspeed-super-loop-header/

seems their porting offers however are no longer...

http://www.grimmspeed.com/categories/category/porting-coating/

Regardless - the highflow crossover-pipe is moot if you get a complete header - EL or UEL - UEL obviously if you want to maintain the rumble.

• I Donated Too
Also, SPT is the most perfect catback ever.

I would agree it is on a stock setup or maintaining a UEL header. It was designed for stock replacement with the stock downpipe/headers in place - it definitely sounds good and I have it on my wagon.

I did have to use it on my sedan with EL headers and catless down when my first Borla was ruined (long story) - I can assure you it sounded absolutely awful on that setup, nothing good to say about it at all.

That's weird ^. I'd think it would sound equally great with EL headers, and I'll hope to find out for myself one day.

Currently running - Invidia catless UP, Crucial racing catted DP (wrapped and coated), UEL header (coated), SPT catback (tip extension fab for wagon, no drone)... Quiet at idle, good growl at partial throttle, loud at WOT.

Stock everything except the MagnaFlow cbe. It has a great rumble with no drone but I'm not sneaking up on anyone. I've had a couple random people in Legacy's ask me what I'm running. Im looking into putting a Catted DP on soon so hopefully it doesn't make the rumble obnoxious.

Yep Magnaflow made a catback for our cars and I had one on my LGT sedan. It was great quality and price was very good new compared to other options, but that was awhile ago.

If you can still find them, one of the best notes I've ever heard on a Subaru period, if you're looking for something a little more aggressive and deep toned.

I had a very small resonator welded into the midpipe on mine (catless UP & stock DP), and it was the perfect aggressive tone. Sounded so good, so many compliments too.

It's going to be pretty loud with an aftermarket DP (Catless or HFC), might need a resonator IMO.

When installed my CATLESS DP, the difference was VERY slight... I'd think a catted dp would be hard to hear much difference.

Someone with such experiences might have another take tho

When i installed my catless DP i didnt think there was much a difference until i took it off temporarily a year or so later. turns out it makes it much louder than i thought. only noticed it when i didnt have the extra noise

Archived