LegacyGT.com

HELP!!! Need boxer rummmmble

What's good Leggo Fam?!?

I'm looking to unleash the rumble from down unda ASAP WITH IT!

As much as I like the the Cobb Down pipe + turboXs up pipe to factory mid/ypipe and the ever coveted Hogzaust done on my stock cans.... I'm ready to bite the bullet and get a for reals Cat Back Exhaust!

I've searched high and low... and to me, it seems some of the bigger name brands are not only super expensive, but ultimately fall short of what I'm looking for. I'll never forget the low gurggly purr of my buddies early 2000s wrx. It was a beautiful custom made header and stromung exhaust.

My life will NOT be complete until I capture those low throaty tones in my LGt. I want gargle, not rasp. Bass not tin. The things that make it known to be a subaru and not an EvO or worse, Honda.

Strangely this has been achieved through various parings, and even more strange can be inconsistent with the same exact applications. For instance most of the eBay cbe sound terrible, however there's at least one in the exhaust forum sticky that sounds legit!

I was thinking of getting the prodrive/eBay kit for ~$250 shipped, as a starting point for the Mid/y. Then upgrade the cans and possibly add a resonator down the line. After reading some horror stories about fitment, and seeing the expense of axle backs, I'm thinking it might be prudent to just buy right and buy once.

Looking for input, advice, audio clips, regrets, and any known sales

*while a header isn't out of the question, I don't think it's in the cards atm, nor is it super significant to my goal. MIGHT help complete a setup, but I need first the right cbe to achieve the best results with either an elh or uelh

I had a Cobb catted downpipe, grimmspeed catless up, and a eBay catback on my wagon when it was stage 2. Definitely didn't sound like an older 2.0 Impreza, but IMO it was sweet sounding, and definitely Sounded more Subaru than anything else(the last 10 sec. you can hear it well):

[ame=www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBQFN1yJQEk]www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBQFN1yJQEk[/ame]

That being said... they got raspy and crackly at higher RPM and droned something fierce. I eventually took them off and went back to stock. If you're going for brutal racecar sounds I think the only pre-fab option is Namless. They have amazing build quality, and even with a resonated mid-pipe and their 5" muffler option it's crazy loud. For the "classic" Subaru rumble I really love AVO(very quiet), the Invidia Q300, and the Stromung Quad tip which is by far te best of all without contest. I hear Prodrive's mufflers are amazing as well, though they're just as hard if not harder to find than a Stromung system. Keep in mind a ton of those older Subaru's had custom made exhausts, and often with Magnaflow mufllers(especially USDM firsat gen WRX's). I've heard a LOT of awesome sounding Magnaflow exhausts on Subarus.

Also keep in mind we have a rather unique setup compared to any other turbo Subaru of the same vintage, since we have the y-pipe and duals. That changes the tone as well. So there's my input, advice, audio clip, and regrets. :)

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

MTBwrench, thanks for the awesome post man... I realize I made a typo, I meant "protuning lab" not prodrive. The prodrive cans DO sound pretty kick ass!

So the setup you have in this clip on the track is the eBay cbe 250$ special? Hmmmm maybe ill have to rethink my rethinking of getting that kit. From what I can tell the mid and y pipe are pretty legit, and I can always buy different axle backs to mate to it if I don't achieve the desired sound.

Was it a nightmare to get the tips centered into the cutouts?

That video link you posted sounds pretty quiet as far as an exhaust goes for these cars. I had a full turbo back Stromung, sounded fine but it droned like crazy in my wagon. Even in that video they added a resonator. Lgt Stromung's drone horribly, not sure why everyone is so in love with that exhaust.

I love my current setup. Catted DP with a Perrin mid/y, stock cans with an e-cutout in the Y. It sounds amazing at wot with the cutout open, its pretty loud this way for normal driving but close the cut out and it sounds stock. You can tune the exhaust and crack the cutout open and it sounds really nice or open it further and it gets louder. Close it up on the highway and it's as quiet as stock.

Case in point about name brands...

I'd be awfully depressed if I dropped the amount of coin needed for one of these more expensive brands and ended up sounding like this-

[ame=

]
[/ame]

Or

Like the growl of this better-

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZwYmaX3HRU&sns=tw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZwYmaX3HRU&sns=tw[/ame]

Both of those vids have aftermarket headers, which greatly changes the sound of the exhaust. I'm guessing they are more equal length than oem by the way they sound. If you want the classic Subaru rumble, stick with the oem or unequal length headers.

Both of those vids have aftermarket headers, which greatly changes the sound of the exhaust. I'm guessing they are more equal length than oem by the way they sound. If you want the classic Subaru rumble, stick with the oem or unequal length headers.

They are both aftermarket headers? Huh... I don't prefer either of those sounds at all... and like I mentioned, probably won't be getting a header- unless someone posts an exhaust I can't live without, and achieved it with an aftermarket unit (likely unequal length, as I've read equal length tends to soften the boxer rumble)

I run a invidia catless downpipe with a gimmick Motorsports 3" unresonated catback. its is certainly on the louder side of things i i get a bunch of compliments on the sound from all sorts of people. its loud and kinda drones at highway speeds, but if you want a loud rumble its a great setup

That video link you posted sounds pretty quiet as far as an exhaust goes for these cars. I had a full turbo back Stromung, sounded fine but it droned like crazy in my wagon. Even in that video they added a resonator. Lgt Stromung's drone horribly, not sure why everyone is so in love with that exhaust.

I love my current setup. Catted DP with a Perrin mid/y, stock cans with an e-cutout in the Y. It sounds amazing at wot with the cutout open, its pretty loud this way for normal driving but close the cut out and it sounds stock. You can tune the exhaust and crack the cutout open and it sounds really nice or open it further and it gets louder. Close it up on the highway and it's as quiet as stock.

Got a link to your setups sound?

I think the love for the stromung is well deserved-

:wub:

The issue with the Stromung isn't the sound it makes outside the car, it's the awful drone at 2500-3000k rpm inside the car. Even with a large Magnaflow resonator it literally echoed and rang my wagon, drove me crazy. It should be better with a sedan but I wasn't about to insulate my entire car for an exhaust. I was driving my car in 4th gear on the highway because of the drone.

I don't have a sound clip of my cutout. But if you were to completely remove your mufflers, that's what it sounds like with it open. It sounds absolutely amazing at WOT like this. When you down shift you get the leaning out popping like the stromung does. And it sounds pretty much stock with it closed. It doesn't drone though with the cutout open, it just sounds like your driving a Harley inside the car with the oem uel headers, which is fine but it's so nice to close it up on the highway and not hear it at all.

are there any meets in your area? its a lot better to hear this stuff in person instead of youtube. there are so many variables with how that person records it isn't a very accurate measure of sound output. See what the guys at your meets are running and that'll give you a better idea of what to expect.

as for your video question, you'll want to do something like this (p.s. just click on "quote" from MTBs post to see how he did it and you'll see it in plain text). Note I had to add spaces so that it would show the code, there should be no spaces when you actually want to post the video.

[ url=www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBQFN1yJQEk]www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBQFN1yJQEk[ /url]

This is my 2009 Forester XT (4EAT), stock UEL headers, stock DP, 2016 WRX midpipe (which is non-resonated) with a Vibrant bottle resonator, and Nameless 5" muffled axlebacks.

No drone, just mellow when cruising...very audible when on partial throttle...and fiercely loud when WOT.

https://vimeo.com/198578022

This is my set up. I absolutely love it. Stock UEL headers, Catless uppipe, Ceramic coated catless downpipe, Borla Catback with the resonator still in place.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm70fnsUoeA&t=2s]2005 Legacy GT 5MT Borla Catback Exhaust - YouTube[/ame]

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

Archived