LegacyGT.com

EJ22 to EJ251? Swap issues

I tried swapping an ej251 into my 99 legacy L, which uses the phase 2 EJ22. the 2.2 liter legacies from 1995-1998 could easily be replaced with an EJ251,the sohc 2.5 plugs right in like nothing even changed.

The 1999 Legacy uses a slightly different 2.2 that they call the phase 2. I tried swapping an EJ251 into my car, and could rev but could not produce any power under load.

in 1999 some changes were made to the 2.2 as you can see here under ej22 enhancements and improvements and engine features on wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_EJ_engine#EJ22_2

I don't think any of the reasons wikipedia lists at the bottom explain why this swap didn't work. The crank gear was different on the ej22 from 99 but the cam sprockets were the same. Does anybody have any ideas about why this happened or has anybody swapped an EJ251 in place of a phase 2 2.2?

I tried swapping an ej251 into my 99 legacy L, which uses the phase 2 EJ22. the 2.2 liter legacies from 1995-1998 could easily be replaced with an EJ251,the sohc 2.5 plugs right in like nothing even changed.

No, it does not. Swapping a full Phase 2 EJ251 into a Phase 1 car will present an entire wave of wiring issues, and the IACV nor the ignition coil are compatible with Phase 1 wiring.

The 1999 Legacy uses a slightly different 2.2 that they call the phase 2. I tried swapping an EJ251 into my car, and could rev but could not produce any power under load.

This swap is popular and among the easiest to do. Just swap over the EJ221/2/3 crank gear and cam gears, then swap over your intake manifold and sensors. That is literally all you have to do to get this swap to work. The rest of it is almost exactly the same.

I don't think any of the reasons wikipedia lists at the bottom explain why this swap didn't work. The crank gear was different on the ej22 from 99 but the cam sprockets were the same. Does anybody have any ideas about why this happened or has anybody swapped an EJ251 in place of a phase 2 2.2?

1999 was a transitional, or switchover, year that Subaru still possessed parts from Phase 1, and so they combined what they had with new Phase 2, hence why some cars in that year come with full Phase 2 engines, and the rest came with Phase 1-2 hybrids with an amalgamation of Phase 1 and 2 wiring.

why is the ej251 that I have a phase 2 motor and not a phase 1? it is the first 2.5 SOHC they made and easy replaced by the ej253 right? it seems like you know exactly at you're talking about, I'm not questioning your knowledge.

I've just heard a lot of times that a phase 1 ej22 can be directly replaced by an ej251. I guess Im confused as to what makes it a phase 2 motor. I've had friends allegedly do the phase 1 ej22 to ej251 swap. the 2.2 intake manifold would be used.

when I tried it we swapped the crank gear only, but the cam sprockets were the same if i remember correctly

when we

Archived