LegacyGT.com

Black liquid from exhaust?

So the title says it, I have black liquid dripping from the exhaust in It will spit when revved. I haven't had a chance to check the cars coolant for blackness and the dip stick for whiteness or sniff the stuff. But Its pretty cold right now and It had snow around it. Anyone know what it might be besides a blown head/gasket letting out antifreeze or oil, or is it as simple as some condensation build up mixed with the black carbon in the exhaust piping, Its also a 1994 sport turbo so it might be the FI putting in to much gas when idle thinking the turbo is spooled or something. Any ideas?

I think it sounds like soot and condensate. It could be extra sooty from running rich. Normally I would say get hold of something to talk to OBD and see what the O2 sensors say, but not on a 94. I don't know how to check mixture in that age range.

Someone else will pipe up in a bit with better info.

There is a way to read the ECU on the 90-94 Legacy and many other OBD1 Subarus. It is not an exact plug-n-play solution, but it works. You'll need an older computer or a parallel to USB adapter for your computer. I have this exact setup for my 92 SVX and it works great. I use it to monitor my coolant temperatures and checked for trouble codes when my speed sensor went out and put the transmission into limp mode with FWD only and made my cooling fans run all the time.

http://www.surrealmirage.com/vrg3/b10scan/

Archived