LegacyGT.com

Purchasing a new Legacy, a few questions for the vets.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
here s my white 15 with 35K and never polished...

thats a beaut, looks brand new, and pretty much exactly how I picture mine to look(plates and all, fellow New Yorker!) I love how the mirrors have that slight black on them, it is a nice contrast in my opinion.

Did you do something with the grill? What percent tint as well? I have a good guy(pricey but good) by me I pretty much always go with 20%, in the city they don't bust my balls too much, when I see cops I just open the sunroof and the natural light helps make the tints appear lighter. I only use to encounter issues on my Discovery because I was stupid enough to tint the front windshield, never again!

thats a beaut, looks brand new, and pretty much exactly how I picture mine to look(plates and all, fellow New Yorker!) I love how the mirrors have that slight black on them, it is a nice contrast in my opinion.

Did you do something with the grill? What percent tint as well? I have a good guy(pricey but good) by me I pretty much always go with 20%, in the city they don't bust my balls too much, when I see cops I just open the sunroof and the natural light helps make the tints appear lighter. I only use to encounter issues on my Discovery because I was stupid enough to tint the front windshield, never again!

Don t remember the % but not dark limo and not the real clear one either.

I did plasti dip the center area of the grill. It was all silver before.

If I were to go back and buy my car over again it would probably be that dark graphite color. Nice dark color and also easier to maintain than black. Honestly not too fond of the boring subaru colors they have to offer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Does the 3.6 use reg or premium fuel? About .40 cents a gallon difference upstate NY.

2.5 is regular fuel.

3.6R uses regular gas AND regular oil...... So cheaper on both fronts in that regard.

If I were to go back and buy my car over again it would probably be that dark graphite color. Nice dark color and also easier to maintain than black. Honestly not too fond of the boring subaru colors they have to offer.

I like the grey as well but some of the photos on here seem like it has a blue undertone which I'm not in love with. I'm strongly leaning towards the white with the grey a possibility, but I think I'm going to steer clear of the black even though I love the black on black look especially with tints.

I agree the colors are a bit boring, I couldn't even imagine purchasing any of the other colors besides the white, grey, or black but I always been a fan of neutral colors. Silver cars to me are boring and remind me of when I worked for Hertz, with all those rental cars.

I like the grey as well but some of the photos on here seem like it has a blue undertone which I'm not in love with. I'm strongly leaning towards the white with the grey a possibility, but I think I'm going to steer clear of the black even though I love the black on black look especially with tints.

I agree the colors are a bit boring, I couldn't even imagine purchasing any of the other colors besides the white, grey, or black but I always been a fan of neutral colors. Silver cars to me are boring and remind me of when I worked for Hertz, with all those rental cars.

Just a little tide bit of info for the legacy, it's a great car. It's my very first subaru and have no complaints. I have the 2015 but it's not the first batch. I've had no serious issues besides the recalls and little things such as rattles I've had has been fixed through the help of the people on these forums. Some people may talk bad because of all the problems they have had but they are the rare ones, I would say. Every car has its faults but for the price with standard AWD. They are worth it. Pick the color you want and pick the options you will use or would like.

I have the limited with everything and enjoy my car very much. The only things I've done that it didn't have was add a spoiler and aftermarket remote start. It doesn't need anything else.

Make sure you fight for a good deal of your car. Do not pay the sticker price.

Just a little tide bit of info for the legacy, it's a great car. It's my very first subaru and have no complaints. I have the 2015 but it's not the first batch. I've had no serious issues besides the recalls and little things such as rattles I've had has been fixed through the help of the people on these forums. Some people may talk bad because of all the problems they have had but they are the rare ones, I would say. Every car has its faults but for the price with standard AWD. They are worth it. Pick the color you want and pick the options you will use or would like.

I have the limited with everything and enjoy my car very much. The only things I've done that it didn't have was add a spoiler and aftermarket remote start. It doesn't need anything else.

Make sure you fight for a good deal of your car. Do not pay the sticker price.

Thanks for your honest, objective feedback. All cars have issues here and there and with 15 years of driving under my belt I do not expect perfect from any vehicle. That is exactly how I see it, I enjoy the aesthetics of the car and AWD is a must in NY(my opinion at least), and the price can't be beat!

I am going for the limited with all the bells and whistles as well since I am saving so much money compared to other makes and will deff. fight for the best price possible and a family friend is friends with the owner of the dealership so things should go pretty smooth. I will add tints and possibly do something with the grill but otherwise I am satisfied.

I won't lie though I am apprehensive for one reason and one reason only. Why are Subarus so much more affordable then literally any other car make(maybe besides Kia and I do not ever want a Kia)? I am no economist but that is the only thing that seems fishy to me. Additionally, Subarus are not popular makes(at least not in NY). I would think everyone and their mother would have one based on the bang for the buck. Why would someone go with Honda or Toyota when you can get a better price with standard AWD? Again, this is my only concern...

Subarus in my opinion have a bit of a cult following. I never understood why the price is so much lower compared to other brands either. I wanted to get the new sonata 2.0t (had a 2011) but didn't want to pay almost upwards of 35k. Maybe some other people on this forum can explain it better

Subarus in my opinion have a bit of a cult following. I never understood why the price is so much lower compared to other brands either. I wanted to get the new sonata 2.0t (had a 2011) but didn't want to pay almost upwards of 35k. Maybe some other people on this forum can explain it better

When I worked for Hertz years ago as a Manager we were able to take home a company car but had to switch it every 5 days or so, very few Subarus and Hyundais mostly the typical American cars and Toyotas. But the few times I had the opportunity to take home a Subaru(only like once or twice) or Hyundai(more often than the Subarus) I did. A lot of people 'hate' on Hyundais but I actually preferred them(based on driving) then the typical Fusions, Malibus or Camrys. But overall I believe Japanese vehicles are made better than Korean cars, but this may be a fallacy.

When I worked for Hertz years ago as a Manager we were able to take home a company car but had to switch it every 5 days or so, very few Subarus and Hyundais mostly the typical American cars and Toyotas. But the few times I had the opportunity to take home a Subaru(only like once or twice) or Hyundai(more often than the Subarus) I did. A lot of people 'hate' on Hyundais but I actually preferred them(based on driving) then the typical Fusions, Malibus or Camrys. But overall I believe Japanese vehicles are made better than Korean cars, but this may be a fallacy.

You can't go wrong with Korean cars (Hyundai and kia) if I had a little bit more money I would have purchased the loaded sonata. I live in Connecticut and I see a ton of subarus so I gave a chance. Is it as nice as the Hyundai or other brands...maybe, maybe not but the price was right.

You can't go wrong with Korean cars (Hyundai and kia) if I had a little bit more money I would have purchased the loaded sonata. I live in Connecticut and I see a ton of subarus so I gave a chance. Is it as nice as the Hyundai or other brands...maybe, maybe not but the price was right.

Yea, that is what I been hearing more and more. I think it is my ego talking when I speak of never wanting to own a Kia, although I know them and Hyundai are deff cousins, if not siblings are very reliable cars. I like the Sonata just built one when you mentioned it before but for that price and no AWD it is not the move for me. I need AWD(or at least I feel I do) I'm surprised up in CT you would have a vehicle without AWD, unless you have multiple vehicles? I just never have had anything but 4WD/AWD but this might be just a comfort thing for me.

Speaking of AWD, we got a nice storm today down here(I happen to like the snow), they said only 2 inches expected but it looks more like 5-6 inches down in the Bronx, if your out east in CT I'm sure you guys got more.

Look at Tungsten Metallic .... Popular hard to sometimes come by color.

I've browsed through all the images of the sticky threads on all the colors of the Legacy.... and no offense to anyone who owns the Tungsten Metallic but it seems like an 'old man' color, closest thing to champagne I seen from Subaru, deff not my cup of tea but it may look nicer in person.

This is my first AWD car. I grew up in North Dakota and always did fine with a front wheel drive car. My wife has the Hyundai Santa Fe sport AWD and we love how solid it is..

Zero issues. I'm not trying to talk you into or out of a subaru. Overall for all the features it is more affordable than any other equivalent car. I paid about 28k for my 15 2.5i limited with eyesight. I wouldn't say I love the eyesight system but I'm has saved me a few times. Is it worth the extra couple thousand...still haven't decided. I think the standard AWD is what sells people

I don't understand your concern or assumed voodoo about the value/price of the cars. Look it up, not only are they priced better than most or all AWD models in their class, the customer satisfaction ratings and resale values are also high compared to other models in the class. Don't look the gift horse in the mouth, I've read.

FWIW, I priced a similarly equipped Kia when shopping (sans AWD) and was looking at $38k. I'm no cult member or a "fanboy", this is my first Subaru and in all honesty the only Subaru I've ever had an interest in was the WRX. Drove a Legacy because the discounts didn't apply to the WRX and the insurance was twice as much. Fell in love with the Legacy, rest is history. I recognize the value in the Legacy and I see no point in waffling over some perceived inexcusable low price. Buy it, like it, don't like it, sell it. You won't lose.

This is my first AWD car. I grew up in North Dakota and always did fine with a front wheel drive car. My wife has the Hyundai Santa Fe sport AWD and we love how solid it is..

Zero issues. I'm not trying to talk you into or out of a subaru. Overall for all the features it is more affordable than any other equivalent car. I paid about 28k for my 15 2.5i limited with eyesight. I wouldn't say I love the eyesight system but I'm has saved me a few times. Is it worth the extra couple thousand...still haven't decided. I think the standard AWD is what sells people

I agree value and standard AWD is what is likely selling me, but I genuinely like the interior and the simplicity of the exterior I enjoy as well.

I don't understand your concern or assumed voodoo about the value/price of the cars. Look it up, not only are they priced better than most or all AWD models in their class, the customer satisfaction ratings and resale values are also high compared to other models in the class. Don't look the gift horse in the mouth, I've read.

FWIW, I priced a similarly equipped Kia when shopping (sans AWD) and was looking at $38k. I'm no cult member or a "fanboy", this is my first Subaru and in all honesty the only Subaru I've ever had an interest in was the WRX. Drove a Legacy because the discounts didn't apply to the WRX and the insurance was twice as much. Fell in love with the Legacy, rest is history. I recognize the value in the Legacy and I see no point in waffling over some perceived inexcusable low price. Buy it, like it, don't like it, sell it. You won't lose.

You're right I am overthinking it and have been for two weeks(my wife wants to kill me) doing extensive research to almost look for something that could be possibly "wrong" with them since they are priced so reasonably, and trust me I did look it up to find as many unbiased reviews as possible. Unfortunately, besides this forum, content/videos/reviews on the 15-17 legacy are limited on the internet. The Outback has much more exposure.

To me it(the price) almost seemed to good to be true, and through my life experiences when it seems to good to be true it is. In other words, I am/was seeking validation from current Subaru Legacy owners, and am grateful that I found that.

My apologizes if I annoyed you in any way but I been browsing the forum for two weeks, finally decided to join and get some genuine feedback for some of my concerns.

Price, about 30K, is just right. My wife bought a 2017 Acura RDX, mid trim (acurawatch and tech package), and my limited Legacy is 10k cheaper with more features.

That said, I had a Hyundai before, it wasn't bad, but in my opinion, Subaru's are more solid and AWD in any area where it snows trumps any feature Hyundai can offer (comparing Legacy to Sonata, not an SUV).

As far as the RDX, AWD, 3.5 Liter, NA, 6.5 seconds 0-60, it will stomp the crap out of my Legacy (or any Legacy) acceleration wise, but I would still rather be in my car than hers.

If you decide to buy consider one of the VIP partnerships... The one I am familiar with is the ASPCA VIP - see: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2015-legacy-pricing-deals-229141.html?t=229141&highlight=aspca+vip

http://www.aspca.org/about-us/strategic-cause-partnerships/subaru/subaru-vip-partner-program

If you choose this one there are some restrictions; see the subaru vip page for specifics

- the main thing is to tell dealer up front you will be bringing them a vip order form in.

but unless your friend thinks the owner would give you a deal that is at dealer cost; the 2% under dealer cost on a limited is more than the $500 donation especially if you do any add-ons over the full packages - ie window vents, roof racks, nets & all weather mats, cig lighter, pedals, shifter, etc.

If you want the price @ 2% under dealer cost without negotiating then one of the VIP partnerships makes it easy & you can then decide exactly what you want & just sit back & :bbq:

I won't lie though I am apprehensive for one reason and one reason only. Why are Subarus so much more affordable then literally any other car make(maybe besides Kia and I do not ever want a Kia)? I am no economist but that is the only thing that seems fishy to me. Additionally, Subarus are not popular makes(at least not in NY). I would think everyone and their mother would have one based on the bang for the buck. Why would someone go with Honda or Toyota when you can get a better price with standard AWD? Again, this is my only concern...

Have to disagree about the Kia. My neighbor was deciding between a Subaru and Sorento and ended up buying the Sorento. Cost her less money for more features and a considerably longer warranty (which she would be out of had she bought the Subaru but still many, many years left on the Sorento). Great little vehicle that Sorento.

1) I had the 2.5i but got the 3.6R when my lease was up. The 2.5i got me on average about 300-320 miles per tank while the 3.6R is only netting me 250-280 miles per tank. I mostly drive in the city.

2) I don't know about the black paint situation. My car is white.

3) My interior is black leather with gray

4) This is my second Legacy lease. I like paying lower monthly payments and the option of keeping or getting a new car every 3 years. The only negative side of leasing I see is if you drive more than the miles allowed.

By no means am I trying to start another pissing contest between the 2.5i and 3.6r just concerned as I stated above because I have never had a 4 cylinder vehicle.

Thanks for the image that clears up a lot for me, and it does blend well so I am not too concerned, I quit smoking 6 months ago, so I am not worried about any ash stains or burns.

I am leaning towards leasing first and then buying it out if I am satisfied after the 36 months, but I will have to see what the dealer is going to offer. I am hoping to have my payment on a 2.5i limited fully loaded, no more than $250 a month with no more than $2,000 as a down payment, am I dreaming or is that quite possible on a lease?

I was kidding about the pissing contest comment:p

Congrats on quitting, will definitely keep that headliner cleaner:cool:

Definitely doable, show them that ad I posted if you have to. I'm paying $239 plus tax which is $256 and change. I got my car in March so knowing 2018's are coming out in a couple months definitely affects the deals. I'll look for my lease agreement and PM you the exact numbers.

I liked my 14 Legacy Premium, but I love my 17 Legacy Limited. My 14 was leased (as is my 17) & I almost bought it after the lease was up (wife's idea). Luckily, at the last moment she said maybe I should look at a new car. All during the 14's lease we said the next one would be bought, but I have lease #2. Within a month of having the car I told my wife that I thought I wanted to buy this car when the lease was up.

I find the 2.5i engine adequate. When driving from Rockland Cty to Stowe VT & back, I'm always passing slower cars (mostly in VT). I find you just have to plan the pass a little more carefully & my 2 cars before the Legacy were 6 cyls.

The computer in my 17 regularly shows about 460 miles when I fill up as did my 14. However, I seem to be getting better gas mileage on the 17.

I had carbide gray metallic paint on the 14 because Subaru wouldn't put a black interior in a 14 black Legacy & I didn't want a either a tan or ivory interior. My 17 is black on black & I love it. I didn't have any paint issues with the 14 & so far none with the 17. However, if you want to talk windshields, Subaru has the softest windshield glass I've ever seen. My 14 had chips all over until it finally cracked & was replaced. My 17 got a chip months ago that I really should find out if it can be fixed or I need the windshield replaced.

One thing about leasing is if you wind up not liking the car, you just give it back. I had constant issues with my 14's radio that the dealer couldn't resolve because they were all intermittent. I always said the next owner could deal with it & I guess he/she is.

Archived