LegacyGT.com

Sticky starter when cold: dealer replacing engine mounts?

When I bought this 5th gen, I also bought a 7 year / 70K warranty plan (from an out of state dealer, I think I read about them on this site).

I had some extended warranty work done already earlier in 2016. But now, I took it in for the following:

- AC compressor chirping while running - they ordered a new AC compressor and replaced that already.

- Starter loud screech / grinding when starting cold (or sometimes, also warm) - this one is more interesting. On this forum, there are threads that talk about lubricating the starter, but I just got a call from the dealer saying that they ordered new engine mounts for the car. Their theory is that there is something wrong with mounts that is causing the starter to stick to the flywheel for too long. I don't really see how this could happen but... (shrug!)

Does this make any sense? ON one hand, I'm thinking - well, hey, if they want to swap my mounts (not sure which ones they are ordering) - sure, go ahead... but on the other, I'm also thinking that when I get it back, I might need to lubricate the starter anyway. Unless they hear it again with new mounts and then they just replace the starter...

Things that make you go ummm... :confused: They gave me a brand new loaner Outback Limited to drive around so not complaining much. And you know what - those HIDs are really nice, hmmm...

That makes no sense to me, but you know, free motor mounts I guess. You could argue with them if you don't want to deal with them getting around to finally fixing it. Showing them threads on here might help. Sometimes if you can talk to the actual tech instead of the service writer they're pretty reasonable.

I would argue for a free starter and concede to let them lube the one that's in there.

And enjoy the new Outback. How's that CVT?

That makes no sense to me, but you know, free motor mounts I guess. You could argue with them if you don't want to deal with them getting around to finally fixing it. Showing them threads on here might help. Sometimes if you can talk to the actual tech instead of the service writer they're pretty reasonable.

I would argue for a free starter and concede to let them lube the one that's in there.

And enjoy the new Outback. How's that CVT?

Yeah... if whatever they are doing it does not solve it, I'll see what we can figure out. My warranty is about to run out too in about 1500 miles.

Yea, like the Outback... minus the audio system. Compared to what I have in my new Accord and the Pioneer unit I installed in the Legacy, it's like K went back in time. The CVT is fine but our Legacy has one too so nothing very new.

Well, got the car back. 8 days that it was at the dealer...

They replaced the AC compressor (there was a chirp sound when it was running the bearing was going out) and replaced left and right engine mounts - 41022aj03a - (had to wait for those parts that's why it was there for so long).

So far - no more sticky starter but I am still questioning this and expect it to happen again but - I guess we'll see. If it does happen and my warranty does run out, I know what to do thanks to this forum!

Archived