LegacyGT.com

what to look for in new wheels/tire?

kaitanium

Looking at this thread

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/wheels-fit-05-08-legacy-and-outback-19741.html

seems like the wheels that im digging (rota tarmac 3) fits my OBXT. I have no experience with wheel + tire changes and was wondering what to look for if i want about the same tire thickness as i run now on these new rims?

say if i wanted +1in from my stock 17s and do 18in rotas since they only come in 18s. How do i know what tire will clear my wheel well? Does that even look too funky or lifted? It would be nice if i can use what Ive been using (michelin mxm4 primacy) for practical reasons such as ease of access at costco, decent comfort and wear life, ok price, etc.

I use - willtheyfit.com to figure out how a wheel would look and what issues I will have.

I think you have the stock suspension right?

You want either 245/45/18 (this is the same exact out diameter as 225/55/17) or 235/45/18 (slightly smaller). At stock height you can fit 245/45/18 easily.

You won't have the same tire thickness (but you will have the same overall diameter) switching to a larger wheel. You basically lose an inch of tire sidewall. This means that it should fit exactly the same as your current tires.

Where it get's tricky, is wheel offset is what mostly determines fit. Too low (et 0-30) and you could be running into the outer fender (doubtful on an Outback with OEM suspension). Too high, and you could be running into the inner fender (et 60+). All the previous depends on wheel width which I am assuming stays at 8 inches.

This is a really long way of saying you are fine with those wheels and tires as long as you get the diameter that matches what you currently have (245/45/18 or 235/45/18).

Tarmac 3s come in two offsets 18x8 et 35 or 48, plug that into will they fit and determine what you want. The 35s will be more HellaFlush (but, because of our flares will probably look normal as long as you have some camber), the et48s will be positioned basically where the OEM wheels are (still slightly more flush because of the 8 inch width and wider tire though)

On the OEM strut you should not have any issues with the tire or wheel running into it.

Look at this thread.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/outback-specific-wheel-and-tire-thread-208807.html

The first post by nightmare shows basically what the 8 inch width and et35 looks. The et48s would be sunken in more towards the car.

sweet info. This is very helpful and helps me get started to look at what i need vs buying stuff and then figuring out later they dont fit.

i would love to do a bilstein setup but still loving stock ride height for practicality.

by the way, i just looked at your build thread. Looks like you have the stock rims too on regular tires but only difference is lowered. Nice to look at how mine could look like if i lowered. =). No rubbing issues with what rim/tire/bilstein combo you have? Be fun to see you rollin someday.

I rub front drivers out side on hard hits. Inner fender liners in the rear due to -2 degrees of camber, and front inner passenger side liner. Except for my drivers side rub, the rest are super minor. I think these tires are wider than a typical 225/55/17.

Eventually I'll trim and roll my fenders, install the Whiteline rear control arm kit and then I will have no rub.

Others at this height with basically the same set-up, have no rub anywhere. My STI rack also means I can rub doing u-turn at full lock.

• 1 year later...

reviving this thread a bit as its almost time i get new tires as mine have cracked (again, ugh...is this normal? 2nd time this has happened in around 20k miles).

planning to do 245/45/18 and go as big as i can on my stock suspension but the tarmacs are only 44 offset? I guess im just wondering if i get a set of tarmacs @ 18x8 +44, what bolt pattern am i looking for? Just want a plug a play solution if possible (slap on tires, slap wheels onto car, bolt, done).

https://www.rotawheels.com.au/wheels/rota-tarmac-3

reviving this thread a bit as its almost time i get new tires as mine have cracked (again, ugh...is this normal? 2nd time this has happened in around 20k miles).

planning to do 245/45/18 and go as big as i can on my stock suspension but the tarmacs are only 44 offset? I guess im just wondering if i get a set of tarmacs @ 18x8 +44, what bolt pattern am i looking for? Just want a plug a play solution if possible (slap on tires, slap wheels onto car, bolt, done).

https://www.rotawheels.com.au/wheels/rota-tarmac-3

If you have to ask what bolt pattern you have to get then you should really do more research...

It's 5x100 btw

Archived