LegacyGT.com

OK wierd issue, need help... poor heat output

2014 Subaru legacy 28K miles... car is just a tad over 3 years old.

issue: The heat on this car is just warm not scalding hot like my 2003 legacy or my 2002 CL type S. I put the heat on max temp and my feet never really get warm... and I notice that the car does not want to go into 6th gear but rather stay in 5th. I can get more heat by forcing the engine to load up by using the paddle shifters.... I thought this was maybe a t-stat issue but according to my data logger, the engine coolant temp is a very respectable 196F... is there another engine temp sensor that I need to check?

Thanks,

1. did this just develop (and the heat and transmission used to be normal?)

2. are you still under warranty? (if so, visit the dealer ASAP)

3. Engine temp from the data logger seems normal. Is your temp gauge in the middle/normal range?

4. I'm thinking these may be 2 separate issues.

If you're on auto (rather than pushing the mode button until you get to the foot vent setting), that could be part of it as well. Auto mode foot vent gets you less airflow than manual foot vent, for some reason.

Have you checked the coolant level? It could be low or you might have a blend door getting stuck and not completely switching from cold to hot.

When the car is cold check the coolant level in the radiator, not just the overflow tank.

I'm with 08SpecB_DE, then, might be a blend door issue. A partially plugged heater core or an unhappy water pump could potentially cause those issues, too- it seems a little soon for either of those to be the culprit, but the fact that loading up the engine gets you more heat means you can't fully rule those things out.

The floor heat on my car is poor as well, there was a thread on this last winter. Basically what folks ended up doing was selecting the heat to come from both the floor and the dash vents, then close all of the dash vents which causes all of the airflow to blow your feet...problem solved! For an extra boost you can hit the recycle button, but I find things fog up after a while.

Note that if you select feet only the airflow is split between your feet and the windshield.

When I mean poor heat output I am talking about the air that comes out of the vents, it does not matter what selection I use, the air temp is the same. when you move the dial all the way over to the right (red) the air coming out should be hot enough to make it vey hard to hold your hand there at the vent. I get air that is roughly 100F out of it.... aka luke warm...

This is the first winter I have had the car as I bought it back in May 2016 as a early lease return with 19K miles on it.

Have you tried it in recirc mode too? And just to be clear it would have to be in vents or floor or both to get recirc to work properly IIRC. The auto climate does this by itself depending on the difference in temperature inside and out. It may be that the recirc blend door is stuck open to fresh air also depending on how often you use the different modes.

OK here is the update.

recirculate does nothing to increase heat output. I know that the doors are working right as the natural airflow through the vents stops when I turned it on.

also the data logger revealed that the coolant temp is dropping down to 172F... so my edumacated guess is that the T-stat crapped out on me.

OK another update.

I do not drive my car hard at all... and I have noticed that my average fuel economy is just 25mpg. In the summer I was near 33 on the same route and when we changed over to winter fuel I was just under 31....

Now for the fun part

I called my local dealer whom I bought the car from and asked them to take a look at he car and they are booked out until Jan 17....

so today on the way to work I decided to take a different approach and work the car a little bit harder with faster take offs (tach around 4K) and for most of the 33 mile drive to work heat was so...so... until the last 8 miles. I started to see a noticeable increase in heat output... I did take it in back in June for low coolant level and no leak was found and when I last checked the coolant today it was normal....

OK I got the car back the same day and they said air bubble? given that the car was low on coolant earlier in the year, I am still going to follow up on the 17th and have then take a closer look at it. No way that this should be going on....

Archived