LegacyGT.com

Manual transmission wagons

Hey guys, first post, I've been reading a fair bit (obsessing) for a while now, decided that I want a 4th gen Legacy wagon with a turbo and manual transmission. I like the looks of the outback a bit better, but I'm not dead set on either.

What I'm wondering is, in what years were the 5 speeds available in the wagon? I understand that 07+ is the year to get from a reliability standpoint, but were any of them available with manual?

I want to go look at this one this weekend, but my wife doesn't love that it's still fairly old, and I'd have to spend some $$ right away to make sure it stays reliable..

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/city-of-toronto/2006-subaru-legacy-gt-ltd-2-5-turbo-body-in-great-shape/1227961905?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Thanks!

• I Donated Too

2005 is the ONLY year for manual wagons - but there's an incredibly small number of 2006 ones... OFFICIALLY in the US - it's just the 2005 model. The 2006 model in Canada there makes sense... but I don't think you will find a 2007 with a manual the GT wagon was discontinued then anyway.

I would argue with you the 07+ is any more reliable... we could debate why it's might be the opposite but the truth is TODAY - All of the model years aren't reliable.

The VF40 turbo on the 05/06 models has an unfair bad rap but with the age of all of the cars now it's definitely buyer beware on second hand/third hand/fourth hand/fifth hand sales... You need to be dedicated to own one of these cars and if maintained well they are very enjoyable but seriously, this is no longer for the feint of heart. Avoid any car that has recently had a NEW TURBO unless you know exactly what you're looking at.

LGT 5MT wagons are the unicorn, and they are awesome. I'm on my 3rd and wouldn't give it up for anything. The more history you can get on that car to help you decide, the better, but the fact is they're so rare that your options will always be very limited.

Lots more OBXTs available, but they're a very different animal.

Thanks for the help, guys!

I'm not too scared about having to fix a car here and there, or staying on top of oil changes. I've had an 04 WRX for the last 4 years, I'm aware that they're not like my old Civic. :) I've also become immediately aware of the blown turbo issue. I can't seem to find a thread about how to fix/replace the banjo filters. Can you just put new ones in from Subaru?

What are the primary differences between the OBXT and the GT? I can't really figure it out. I just like the bumpers/trim on the side better.. Some may have cloth? I like cloth over leather, ideally.

Good info about the gears, I didn't think of that, but I'm not overly concerned about it being "fast" or whatever, I drive like an old lady most of the time. ;) I'll probably do a turbo back exhaust, intake, and stage two tune. Mainly for sound, but with my WRX its actually improved fuel economy, and I love the sound of the boxer.

Thanks again for the help guys. That silver GT is over 2 hours away from me, and I work a lot so I may miss the boat on it. Other difficulty is that it's at a dealership so its very hard to get clear answers about maintenance history which makes me a bit apprehensive.

OBXT

1 inch suspension spacers (think of these as basically drive train drop). They help retain the correct geometry at Outback heights. Most leave these in when lowering and never have any issues.

Larger tires (225/55/17). If you drop to a smaller size you will get quicker acceleration and high RPMs at cruise.

Smaller brakes (you can swap these out for Legacy GT brakes or just get better pads)

I think that's about it.

Banjo bolt filters are really only an issue on the 05-06 (maybe 07), The 08-09 changed the orientation and it doesn't seem to be nearly as big as an issue.

There are frequently good cars posted here, usually by owner and you can see the maintenance history:

http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/cars-sale-29.html

Before you buy anything make sure to get a compression and leakdown test performed by a reputable shop. It will save you spending $6k on your new to you car for a new engine.

SiZ, here's some eye candy for you.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN7144_zpseifdplxo.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN6439_zpsd4a6ac4d.jpg

Bought that new late June 2004. It's 1 of 108 made.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

OBXT

1 inch suspension spacers (think of these as basically drive train drop). They help retain the correct geometry at Outback heights. Most leave these in when lowering and never have any issues.

Larger tires (225/55/17). If you drop to a smaller size you will get quicker acceleration and high RPMs at cruise.

Smaller brakes (you can swap these out for Legacy GT brakes or just get better pads)

I think that's about it...

Legacy GT has a faster steering ratio than the Outback, I believe.

OP, I have an '05 LGT Wagon 5MT that I bought new. Although it is over ten years old, it has been very reliable so far and still drives almost like new. The weak points are very well known and documented on this forum (this forum is an incredible resource).

With these cars, it's important to stay on top of maintenance. They don't respond well to neglect. Make sure the previous owner of your car did not neglect it or abuse it.

Realistically, you are looking at a ten-year-old car, so you should expect it to need some work. Rubber parts such as gaskets, boots, bushings, seals and hoses will get weak after ten years. Mechanical parts do eventually wear out and need to be replaced. Rust can be a problem on Northern cars. If you can do maintenance/repairs yourself, you will save a great deal of money. If you have to pay someone else to maintain/diagnose/repair the car, it might not make sense economically.

Great, thanks again, guys! I know what to expect as far as general maintenance, like I said, I currently daily an 04 WRX, that I drive 2 hours a day. Make sure it has oil in it, and 94 gas, and its been overall pretty reliable. I'm reasonably handy anyway.

I was wondering if the outbacks have longer axles than the GTs, and if it affects the ability to lower them? I'd ideally like something that sits about even with top of the tire. Coilovers are a must for me. I also really like the colours on the Outbacks. I like the brown/blues/anything "odd".

Max, that's a great car! I can't believe how many miles you have on it! I have hope!

BTW - It seems like my wife is coming around to the wagon in the first post, so I may go look at it this weekend. Like I said, tough to get the maintenance history on a car at a dealership, but its also a lot easier to negotiate a 6 month warranty to ensure that someone didn't just dump a car that started to act funny..

Significantly different final drive ratios make for significantly different performance.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/transmission-gear-ratios-and-final-drives-229267.html

The final drive ratio on the OBXT corrects for the larger tire. Compared to the 05-07 LGT the mph/rpm is nearly identical. The 08-09 LGT got slightly taller gearing (3.900:1) which would amount to a final speed of 165.3mph at 6.5k in 5th gear, vs. 156.8mph in the 05-07 5MT.

The steering ratio and the lifted suspension are the biggest tangible differences. I would argue that if you were picking up a 10yr old car you would likely be working on both systems in the near future anyway, and could bring them to the same level. This is exactly why I picked up a 5MT '09 OBXT as a family wagon, I just never imagined our family would need something bigger.

What are the primary differences between the OBXT and the GT? I can't really figure it out. I just like the bumpers/trim on the side better.. Some may have cloth? I like cloth over leather, ideally.

That 2006 GT wagon you posted is very rare and looks cosmetically much cleaner than average.

To answer the question about cloth seats...some 2005 Legacy GT wagons have them, some have leather. Same goes for the 2005 Outback XT. In 2006, Subaru initially discontinued the cloth interior in the Outback XT (in the US), but then did a "late add" to make it available again. They are extremely rare (I have a 2006 with cloth seats and the 5 speed manual and have not seen another one). The 2007-2009 Outback XT was only available with leather seats in the US, not sure about Canada.

The final drive ratio on the OBXT corrects for the larger tire. Compared to the 05-07 LGT the mph/rpm is nearly identical. The 08-09 LGT got slightly taller gearing (3.900:1) which would amount to a final speed of 165.3mph at 6.5k in 5th gear, vs. 156.8mph in the 05-07 5MT.

The steering ratio and the lifted suspension are the biggest tangible differences. I would argue that if you were picking up a 10yr old car you would likely be working on both systems in the near future anyway, and could bring them to the same level. This is exactly why I picked up a 5MT '09 OBXT as a family wagon, I just never imagined our family would need something bigger.

Gonna get the Viziv, with maaaaaybe a 2.4 DIT engine? :hide:

I think we will.

http://s3.caradvice.com.au/thumb/960/477/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/subaru-viziv-7-concept-front.jpg

Getting close to the end of my 5MT wagon days. Rear seat is too small for the growing family. Rear-facing car seats make passenger seat uninhabitable for anything over 10 minutes. Been a solid 12+ year run. I'd buy a new one if Subaru still offered it given the size of the current Legacy/Outback.

Getting close to the end of my 5MT wagon days. Rear seat is too small for the growing family. Rear-facing car seats make passenger seat uninhabitable for anything over 10 minutes. Been a solid 12+ year run. I'd buy a new one if Subaru still offered it given the size of the current Legacy/Outback.

Keep the LGT for you and wait for the Viziv for the family. That's what we are planning on doing. Btw, we have a 3.5 year old and 6 months old. I am fairly short (5.6 ft), so we have the rear facing car seat behind me and the toddler behind the passenger seat. But yeah, it does feel crowded in there..

Archived