LegacyGT.com

Should I sell?

Debating whether or not I should sell my 2008 LGT with 60,000K and hoping the hive mind could speak some sense.

Stage 2 daily driver with original everything. I haven't replaced plugs or done my 60k maintenance yet. Other than a rough idle, some dings from city driving and some odd tilted rear end, the car drives fine - not great, but fine.

I don't *need* a new car as my daily transportation to/from work is by public transportation. With all things considered, should I sell due to upcoming powertrain failures? Is it a good time to gracefully back out of the car, selling it for what I can get and move onto another?

Searched for threads and couldn't find one that fit. All subjective experience and comments are welcome.

and rough idle :confused:

Yeah, I'm confused by all that as well. It's not uncommon at all for Subaru 4 cylinder boxer engines to cause vibrations at idle. Is it rougher than that, like stalling out or something?

Also, what do you mean by "drives well but not great"? What's off about the drive? My personal definition of a car that "drives great" is any car that drives as it is supposed to with no problems during operation. Does the engine or car misbehave somehow?

tbh - I've let it go to shit. I was actively maintaining and posting to LGT but in the past 2 years, total decline and now I'm trying to fix my past and/or sell...

Rough Idle:

On startup, the idle is very rough, no CEL issues. The idle seems to be getting worse too.

Titled Rear End:

Girlfriend was driving on the expressway when she experienced a tireblow out. The car whipped across the highway and slide into a ditch, no body issues, literal crash into anything, she and the car are mostly safe. After getting the car back with a new tire, the car sits slightly lower on the blowout side. I can't find anything bent or out of whack. I measured the drive shafts and the non-blow out side is slightly longer.

The rough idle might just mean you need new plugs. That job is a bit of a PITA, but the car is due. Poor idle could possibly be a vacuum leak that could be easily fixed. What do you gain by not doing the basic maintenance? Seems even if you sell, it will sell easier and for a better price if the car is up-to-date on the maintenance.

Does the car track straight driving down the highway? Can you visually detect something wrong with the back end?

The rough idle might just mean you need new plugs. That job is a bit of a PITA, but the car is due. Poor idle could possibly be a vacuum leak that could be easily fixed. What do you gain by not doing the basic maintenance? Seems even if you sell, it will sell easier and for a better price if the car is up-to-date on the maintenance.

Does the car track straight driving down the highway? Can you visually detect something wrong with the back end?

Another question would be if he has taken it to a trusted shop to look at it. I'm all for wrenching on your own car, but if you can't figure something like this out, it needs to be assessed by someone with more experience and better equipment. A car driving around with a tilt is going to likely put uneven wear and strain on other parts of the suspension and the tires. Like, if this was my car, it would have gone to my mechanic yesterday.

With all things considered, should I sell due to upcoming powertrain failures?

Love this phrasing... "upcoming powertrain failures" :rolleyes:

You've done no maintenance on a 10 year old car. That's like pointing your ship at an iceberg and saying hey, I really should sell this POS, it'll probably sink soon.

Is it a good time to gracefully back out of the car, selling it for what I can get and move onto another?

If by gracefully back out you mean d-bagishly pass along your maintenance neglect to the next buyer, who would likely expect a 60k mile car to drive like one, then yes, please for the love of Subaru, sell your car to someone who will take care of it before you drive it into the ground.

Or just sack up and do the maintenance needed to the car, and enjoy it. Sounds to me like you need intake mani/TGV gaskets, and plugs at least. You're overdue to replace the timing belt, too. Might want to check out that rear control arm and lateral links, too, if you don't want to be munching through tires every 5k miles...

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

Archived