LegacyGT.com

New Legacy owner (08 2.5i)

Hey y'all! I recently purchased my first Subaru, an 08 Legacy 2.5i.

What is the normal rpm at 60mph for the 4EAT? Mine is above 2500 rpm which feels high, like the torque converter isn't locking up or something.

What, aside from head gaskets, are common problem areas for these cars? Mine appears to have been well taken care of, although it is an auction car and none of the service history came with it. I am attempting to contact the original owner (one owner car) for more info.

Is there an external way to see if the timing belt/water pump/tensioner has been changed recently?

Thanks for setting up this Legacy community. I look forward to learning and contributing here.

Hey y'all! I recently purchased my first Subaru, an 08 Legacy 2.5i.

What is the normal rpm at 60mph for the 4EAT? Mine is above 2500 rpm which feels high, like the torque converter isn't locking up or something.

What, aside from head gaskets, are common problem areas for these cars? Mine appears to have been well taken care of, although it is an auction car and none of the service history came with it. I am attempting to contact the original owner (one owner car) for more info.

Is there an external way to see if the timing belt/water pump/tensioner has been changed recently?

Thanks for setting up this Legacy community. I look forward to learning and contributing here.

This is about the rpm and speed, I have a 2008 2.5i also.

If you have no service records, I recommend this:

change the:

battery

all fluids

belts (Check timing belt,but depending on miles you might want to do it)

Check pullies

check brakes

Check to see the recalls and air bag recall

change plugs and wires

Change thermostat if you do coolant

use OEM parts also

You can do all of this yourself with how to's on the site and youtube. I use OEM thermostat.

You can take off the driver side timing belt cover and peek inside, and you might be able to see condition of the belt, and if the tensioner is leaking. The pictures in the link below are with my driver side timing belt cover removed.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5501383&postcount=23

Spark plug tube seals are known to leak, you'll know when you pull your spark plug wires out. It's not a big deal, but annoying.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=154772&d=1371261564

Last, and most importantly... Check your engine oil level! I can't stress that enough, check your engine oil level at least once a week until you know whether or not your car consumes oil. Especially after long trips on the highway, that's when my oil consumption increases.

2009 Legacy 2.5i with 185,xxx miles purchased brandy new.

Issues to date:

Airbag light stays on due to a failure in the reading light module assy

Recently replaced valve cover gaskets

Started consuming a small amount of oil within the last 20k or so

Right front wheel bearing failure

Poorly designed clamshell heatshield needed some percussive maintenance and shimming to quiet it down

In short, so far nothing significant outside of regularly scheduled service items and some wear items.

Wheel bearings seem to go a little more quickly on these cars. The control arm bushings get dry and cracked eventually. I've heard of other people needing to do Valve cover gaskets too.

I think my mom's 2005 Outback has the 4EAT (and non-turbo 2.5L) and I do recall the RPM's being closer to 3000 RPM on the highway but I haven't driven it in a while. That non turbo engine is not a powerhouse. It does its job pretty well but for the weight I think it has enough power but not really any more than that.

When I had my 2002 Legacy GT (non turbo) stickshift, sometimes I would get on the highway 3rd...4th...5th... and then with the high RPM's I'd suddenly come out of day dreaming and look around confused because I didn't have another gear to shift into haha.

Last, and most importantly... Check your engine oil level! I can't stress that enough, check your engine oil level at least once a week until you know whether or not your car consumes oil. Especially after long trips on the highway, that's when my oil consumption increases.

Yes yes yes.

They're pretty great cars actually, provided that those maintenance things are taken care of in a timely manner.

Welcome to the forum!

I'll try to get it up in the air this week sometime to check the suspension. Seems tight but with 170k on the clock you never know. I smell oil burning occasionally, i'll have to look further into that. Hoping it isn't a head gasket, neither look to be leaking from the top but could be leaking from the bottom onto the exhaust. Have all new pads and rotors coming next week. If I don't have to sit in the snow, that will give me an excuse to take an all around better look.

I'll try to get it up in the air this week sometime to check the suspension. Seems tight but with 170k on the clock you never know. I smell oil burning occasionally, i'll have to look further into that. Hoping it isn't a head gasket, neither look to be leaking from the top but could be leaking from the bottom onto the exhaust. Have all new pads and rotors coming next week. If I don't have to sit in the snow, that will give me an excuse to take an all around better look.

I feel your pain! I have things that need to be done but it's a bit chilly here in Michigan.

My car is a 5 speed with 112k miles. I've done all the regular maintenance items and replaced things I'd broken, but the following were somewhat unexpected:

- valve cover gaskets

- rear wheel bearing, replaced with no-name brand one which was a mistake. It lasted less than 10k miles. Use only name-brand stuff here I learned.

- the other rear wheel bearing needs replacement. They go a long time before getting critical so ordered in one last week. Will do myself when it warms up in a few weeks.

- suspension all-round (rear springs are/were weak and didn't like under steer)

- a/c leak fix & recharge

- OEM sound system was pretty lame. Replaced with Sony, tricky to find right mounting fascia for single DIN but looks good.

All in all, not too bad I reckon for a car that starts every time, claws its way out of anything and is nice to drive on long trips.

Archived