LegacyGT.com

Tapped Oil Drain Plug

Wow... that's pretty horrific, I will admit. The best part about the situation is that it's easily reversible, just buy a new drain plug and you're all fixed up. My guess is that, assuming this is a temp sensor, the mechanic was too lazy to pull the pan, so he decided to do the next best lazy option; tap the plug and cal it a day.

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

Well, it's not the worst thing to do to get the oil temp. And if you find that you want to reverse it you can get a magnetic oil plug instead.

I just hope that the connector and wiring is oil resistant as well as sealed from water or this will only work for a limited time.

453747.png

• 5 weeks later...
  • I Donated Too
is not pretty , but i think is the best place to get the temperature .

Is it? I think that's debatable to call it 'the best'. Bottom of the oil pan means there is hotter oil above it but what that difference is I am not sure. Most simple place to take a relevant temp is near the oil filter on a sandwich plate. Accuracy of the actual temp is less important than knowing what's normal and being able to detect a sudden change.

Considering that the oil is circulating a lot through the engine the top and bottom won't make any difference.

It's not unusual to measure it on the drain plug on aftermarket installations, but OEM installations usually have a dedicated sensor in the oil tray.

453747.png

Is it? I think that's debatable to call it 'the best'. Bottom of the oil pan means there is hotter oil above it but what that difference is I am not sure. Most simple place to take a relevant temp is near the oil filter on a sandwich plate. Accuracy of the actual temp is less important than knowing what's normal and being able to detect a sudden change.

i agree with you , a sandwich plate is a very good spot , like you say accuracy of the actual temp is less important than knowing what's normal and being able to detect a sudden change.

Archived