LegacyGT.com

damaged obsolete snow tire, now what?

bman

Blizzak LM-60 215/45-R17. Sidewall is shredded. The tire has\had 8.5-9.0 32nds of an inch of tread. Most of the local tire stores say "it's discontinued you'll need to buy 4 new ones". I can't spend that kind of money right now. I found one on ebay with "5-6 32nds" that's 3.5-4 difference.

My choices are:

1) buy the ebay one (less tread)

2) buy something similar (like Blizzak WS-60)

3) buy a used pair (like Blizzak WS-80)

I know it's not recommended to mix the tires with an AWD system but, I don't drive very far during the winter months and it's getting less likely I'm going to find the same tire.

Help!

I had the same issue with my ws-60's a couple of years ago, I bought a pair off eBay with similar tread and now I have a spare. Check craigslist, you may be able to find a decent used set.

So far I've checked ebay and Craigslist and called all of the tire stores in the city.

There was one on ebay with "5-6 32nds". And now it's gone. But it had 5-6 32nds. I read that's too much difference.

None on CL that's within the same timezone.

Stores have found nothing in their branches or distributors.

I think I'm SOL - I'll need to buy 4 to prevent damage to the differential.

You can get very solid NEXEN Winguard sport winter tires. They are cheap, drive VERY well, quiet, and cut through snow like beasts. I went from Blizzaks to these and they are worth every penny. Especially if you're only going to use them for winters. If I remember correctly you can buy 4 for about $400 shipped. Definitely beats almost 1k for blizzaks!

You can get very solid NEXEN Winguard sport winter tires. They are cheap, drive VERY well, quiet, and cut through snow like beasts. I went from Blizzaks to these and they are worth every penny. Especially if you're only going to use them for winters. If I remember correctly you can buy 4 for about $400 shipped. Definitely beats almost 1k for blizzaks!

For not much more you can get Generals. I love mine and I see them everywhere.

I paid $625-650 at Costco for a set of Blizzak WS80 (205/50 17) in Nov. 2015. Yes 215/45 17 are a little more, but if you paid close to $1000 you got ripped off.

IMO your best bet is to find 2 used winter tires around the same tread depth. You said you don't drive much in winter, so you should be fine until you can afford to replace all 4. When you do get a new set of tires, 205/50 17 also fits and are cheaper.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived