LegacyGT.com

Throttle position problems

I'm working on an 05 legacy gt turbo. I recently replaced the clutch but after starting it up and attempting to relearn the tps I was unable to. I tried both the manual way by disconnecting the battery then letting it idle yadayada. I also tried via scan tool. Neither would take. It's throwing a p0123 code. It was throwing an o2 sensor code also, but it has aftermarket exhaust system that deleted the o2 sensors and the resistor tricking the ecm had fallen out, I replaced it and the o2 sensor code went away. Reading the position sensor, it reads that the tp is at 100% when idle and no foot on the accelerator and it chugs, push the accelerator to the floor and it idles normally. The accelerator pedal position senators are reading seamingly normal and changes normally when the accelerator pedal is pushed to different spots, voltages are within normal parameters. I also pulled the throttle control motor relay out from behind the dash and it is still good. I swapped a throttle body out of known well running legacy, same problem. The tps angle percentage is reading 100% no matter what. Sub throttle sensor voltage is steady at 1.7 v and main throttle sensor steady at 5v. The other issue I see is the throttle motor duty % is at 0 and does not change and throttle motor voltage is showing 0 and these don't change at all whether the accelerator is being pushed or not. I can't find any pinched wires or damaged connections and I'm losing my mind over this thing it's been here for months. Could the o2 sensor be causing this somehow?? Any insight or help would be much appreciated

There's only really the one sensor from the trans that got undone and the main connector on top that runs out from under the intake then through the firewall, other than the ground and wires for the starter were the only things touched. I'm not sure which wire's are supposed to have continuity because the wire diagrams I'm using off Mitchell are showing wire colors that are different than the ones on my throttle body connector.

I started getting O2 slow to respond codes.

Replaced O2 front and back... codes still happened.

Living with that... months later.. I start getting throttle position codes, which put the car into limp mode. This I could not live with.

I tore apart the throttle system and checked everything from pedal to throttle, and all connectors and connections in between... checked and cleaned all grounding points of harnesses, cleaned and checked all the ECU pins, everything..

(THere's a few threads on these issues I started up here.. you can follow them to see me chasing down the throttle issue and going mad.)

Finally, the only possible thing remaining to try was ECU itself. So I bought a used identical part number ECU and flashed it with the exact same image that I took off the stock ECU.

All problems went away. O2 is fine. No throttle issues. No codes since.

Archived