LegacyGT.com

New owner of an 05 LGT Ltd

First post here :)

Background:

05 LGT Ltd, Black on Black. 204k on the odometer. Neighbor had it sitting in his driveway for a couple months, (not running )struck up a conversation, and long story short, I have the car (at a salvage price).

Carfax came back clean, paint has taken a beating, as to be expected since it came from CT to FL in 2010.

I got the car with all of the coil packs off, and one clip broken. One CP was fried, so bought 2 new ones and a set of spark plugs, and the CP repair kit.

Got everything hooked up, went to start and definitely sounds like rod slap or something in the lower part of the motor. Checked timing belt and pulley marks and it's aligned up. :eek:

I already have another resto project Im working on, so option 1 is to keep the car, and replace the motor, but Id have to have someone else do the work.

Option 2 is just to sell it off, in it's present state.

For what I paid, it was a calculated risk, but very small financially.

What to do?

Well what's your current restoration project? :D

I think that unless you have a connection, it's going to be fairly costly to pay someone else to rebuild the engine. I haven't had it done so I can't speak to what an average shop cost for it would be as a reference point. Surely it would be a few grand at least though.

I say run 2 restoration projects. You can push the Legacy outside and just keep the engine in the garage to work on so it doesn't take up as much space. Sometimes it's nice to have multiple projects running so if you get stuck or sick of one you can go to the other for a while.

That's a beautiful car. These days, there's a lot of aftermarket support for it. This forum is a gem, unlike most others. I've done some basic work on cars (oil, brakes, not much more adventurous than that) but the people on this site and Brian/Mike at Tuning Alliance make it clear roughly what order things should be done in and what things in order to maximize performance per dollar.

What is your daily driver? Please tell me it's not that thing behind the Legacy. :D

In my opinion, after thinking about it some more, I think you should put all your monies and energies into getting the Legacy road worthy quickly. The Legacy GT should be your daily driver. With $1,000 coilovers (the OEM suspension leaves a lot to be desired), Cobb access port and up/down pipes you will have a killer daily driver with great traction on curvy roads and when the rain is heavy. Then you can build up as much power as you want in the mustang and not cry about traction ;)

What a tough situation you are in to choose between these great projects :D

EDIT: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/unofficial-legacy-gt-stage-upgrade-definitions-48123.html

LMAO the 06 Kia Rio is NOT my daily. I actually bought that for my stepson a couple months ago, and that one runs . Paid 600 for it and put 250 into it. Good first car for him.

My daily is a Ford 7.3 powerstroke pick up.

I'd keep the Scooby, if the math adds up after what indicates a motor rebuild or swap at this point, based on the no start and noise while cranking.

Like yourself, brakes, suspension, fluid changes, etc I am comfortable doing.

A motor swap on the LGT... nope, that'd go to someone experienced.

Market looks like 3000-7500 they are selling for

LMAO the 06 Kia Rio is NOT my daily. I actually bought that for my stepson a couple months ago, and that one runs . Paid 600 for it and put 250 into it. Good first car for him.

My daily is a Ford 7.3 powerstroke pick up.

I'd keep the Scooby, if the math adds up after what indicates a motor rebuild or swap at this point, based on the no start and noise while cranking.

Like yourself, brakes, suspension, fluid changes, etc I am comfortable doing.

A motor swap on the LGT... nope, that'd go to someone experienced.

Market looks like 3000-7500 they are selling for

:eek:

So your stepson has to look at the powerstroke, the built mustang, and the LGT from the window of his exorcism-colored kia? That is the saddest thing I've ever heard. LOL New daily for step son? Haha jk.

We all gotta start somewhere :lol:

Car is listed for sale in the FS Forum section

Have a business friend of mine who owns a Porsche

& Subaru performance, repair, and maintenance shop. Going to quote me on 2 options of going through the motor. If the numbers are right, and I can be into the car without being more than it's worth, I may keep it.

There in lies the 64,000 question, what is it really worth?

I've been reading through the FS forums, and other FS listings on CL, even different areas of the country. and running cars are advertising 4000-8500. I know some of that is subjective to overall condition, mileage, and modifications, but seems like the market has a huge price swing.

Whats a running, un modified 05 LGT ltd, clean Carfax worth, with a brand new engine?:confused:

I'm not sure if a brand new engine helps or hurts the value. I'd walk away if there was a new engine unless I knew a lot about the specific car and model of car.

I think the later couple of years 08/09 might go for a pinch more but I'm not sure.

Maybe if you can account for a lot of the issues or things people are looking for in these models you can drive the asking price up a little bit.

If you sell it in person you can honestly probably get more for it. I wasn't aware of how much the value of these had come down until after I had the car and started visiting the forum a lot. I overpaid 11-12 for my '09 this summer. I drove two hours to get it too. I guess I'm pretty picky.

That being said, I'd rather pay more for a pretty clean '09 than an earlier model with a new engine and whatever else. This is my daily though - NOT a power project that sits in my garage.

I think you might have your answer in the question: Since the prices vary so much, it is sort of at your discretion to clean the car up as much as possible (or as is economical for you) and ask what you feel might be a fair price, starting at a higher value and giving it some time.

I'm not sure if a brand new engine helps or hurts the value. I'd walk away if there was a new engine unless I knew a lot about the specific car and model of car.

I think the later couple of years 08/09 might go for a pinch more but I'm not sure.

Maybe if you can account for a lot of the issues or things people are looking for in these models you can drive the asking price up a little bit.

If you sell it in person you can honestly probably get more for it. I wasn't aware of how much the value of these had come down until after I had the car and started visiting the forum a lot. I overpaid 11-12 for my '09 this summer. I drove two hours to get it too. I guess I'm pretty picky.

That being said, I'd rather pay more for a pretty clean '09 than an earlier model with a new engine and whatever else. This is my daily though - NOT a power project that sits in my garage.

I think you might have your answer in the question: Since the prices vary so much, it is sort of at your discretion to clean the car up as much as possible (or as is economical for you) and ask what you feel might be a fair price, starting at a higher value and giving it some time.

That makes partial sense.

A potential buyer would question why there was a brand new engine, however from reading the forums for just a short time (couple of weeks) I'm no expert by any means, but I've surmised that these motors can give up the ghost at any time. If the turbo fails, your almost assured the motor will soon follow, due to bearing material oil contamination.

The 'ynansb' term coined here tells me that. Obviously more mods on a stock engine, and diligent maintenance play key roles as well.

Fortunately for what I paid for the car, and knowing going in that the motor may be toast, I wont get hurt selling it as is, if I go that route. I have it listed here in the classified section, as it sits.

If I do end up fixing/replacing the motor, I don't plan to performance mod it, just the common longevity insurance mods (turbo oil line filter removals, etc)

Few more pics:

155209676_Legacydriversidedoorshot.thumb.jpg.d40568ec710d8521b0185e6b7ee51be5.jpg

1273599950_Legacyfrontbumperhood.thumb.jpg.0c998c6245c006cd1459e2c36581cf08.jpg

2132225860_Legacyinteriorfront.thumb.jpg.ef4d92839e01bd77135066518c42222a.jpg

23770073_Legacyengine.thumb.jpg.24fdd279f59be557363a089b99aeee47.jpg

@Fredmatic : You've been very tactful and nice about the fact that you know what you're doing more than I do. :lol:

I'm sure you'll have no problem selling it. :)

I've never rebuilt an engine and have no garage so I'm gonna be ****** when my engine goes. Also have no money. WeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeLOLOLOLOL:lol:

OP, I'm sure by now you have that most of us buy a EJ257 have the heads rebuilt, a few other new pieces and put the car back together.

I have over 80,000 trouble free miles on my Ej257 short block. See my click here link.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I don't understand the reasoning behind not wanting a car with a new motor, but that's just me. I've owned 3 legacy's, a 2000 L with 255k that I sold and is still running, a 06 2.5i that is now y girlfriend's with 227k on it and only 40k on the motor. Now I have literally the car pictured with 210k in it all original still going fairly strong. I bought the car 100% intent on throwing a new motor and transmission in it. From my research for the cheapest new motor what you will want to do is have the heads remachined that you have on the car which won't be too costly. A brand new shortblock is $2k. Timing kit water pump and gaskets around $400. You can carry over the accessories you have and easily find a used turbo for under $300 with no shaft play lower miles. You're really only looking at 4k or so to put a new one in. I bought mine for $6k at 206k miles so with a new motor I would throw it up at 8k if I was in your spot, but this is in CT where they're worth that. Also keep in mind the 5MT trannies are highly unreliable if beat on, but since it's stock you should be alright.

The OP is in FL where AWD is not that important.

The 5mt's can be helped with Moore Performance Blast Plates. I love mine.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I had my buddy in S Florida, who owns a high end Porsche shop, that does restoration, fabrication, tuning, etc quote me on a R&R overhaul.

Actually less than I thought it would be, but I'd be into the car for about 4500-5k once done. (Including other maintenance items like tires etc)

From what I see, the car on a good day with a fresh zero mile motor would sell for about 4500-5k, so I'd be barely breaking even.

Archived