LegacyGT.com

Engine Pull Walk-thru...errr talk-thru.

Is the front motor mount the only motor mount holding the engine in? I can’t tell if the mounts contacted to the transmisssion on the side of the trans and motor hold the motor? This is my last step I think, almost done

Yes only the front motor mount. The traditional 2 other motor mounts were move to the transmission for the 5th Generation.

Is the front motor mount the only motor mount holding the engine in? I can’t tell if the mounts contacted to the transmisssion on the side of the trans and motor hold the motor? This is my last step I think, almost done

Yes, you are almost there, I found separating the mating surfaces on the bellhousing to be a little tough as well.

• 4 months later...
How did you lift the motor itself (or recommend) once it was unbolted? ie mounting points?

I have my motor in my red GT down do just 2 bolts holding the bellhousing to the block.

I use the front ac bracket bolt (post #8 you can see the chain bolted to the block) and I believe there is a small bracket on the bellhousing around where the harness plugs are.

Edited by FLlegacy

• 1 year later...

Oh and if you are astute you will have noticed I didn't pull the radiator, correct I did not, I don't see the need unless you have way too much time on your hands and you like doing more work than necessary.

My only criticism here, I thought it was strange you removed the fans from the radiator but not the radiator itself. as it's a very high risk low reward situation later on. If it was an automatic, I could understand wanting to leave it, but capping the AT lines is easy enough and lose minimal fluid. I leave the fans, both hoses, and thermostat housing attached and pull it out as an assembly. lower hose with housing tucks real nice in to the fan body. pulling the thermostat out helps drain much quicker and more thoroughly.

Best hoist points are the factory ones if they're still there. If you have AC you definitely have the one. The compressor unbolts from the bracket easily enough once the whole assembly is loose. I use a chain with carabiners and the link offset two or three with it longer in the back, gets a perfect level lift every time.

Edited by silverton

My only criticism here, I thought it was strange you removed the fans from the radiator but not the radiator itself. as it's a very high risk low reward situation later on. If it was an automatic, I could understand wanting to leave it, but capping the AT lines is easy enough and lose minimal fluid. I leave the fans, both hoses, and thermostat housing attached and pull it out as an assembly. lower hose with housing tucks real nice in to the fan body. pulling the thermostat out helps drain much quicker and more thoroughly.

Best hoist points are the factory ones if they're still there. If you have AC you definitely have the one. The compressor unbolts from the bracket easily enough once the whole assembly is loose. I use a chain with carabiners and the link offset two or three with it longer in the back, gets a perfect level lift every time.

Pulling the fans is a must on this gen as there is no clearance to get to the front lower mount and brackets. Removing the radiator does nothing for clearance, I chose to cover it with a piece of board for protection and leave it in.