LegacyGT.com

Phone charges slow

I tried the DC port near the shifter and the one in the center arm rest. I tried many different chargers. My phone doesn't charge that fast when using the GPS. I tried it in my truck and in an old Subaru Outback, also while using the GPS, and it works fine. Are the fuses on the ports limiting this? I get maybe 10 percent charge an hour.

Phone still shows it's quick charging (Android) but doesn't charge fast at all in this car.

Both ports should be 12-14VDC @ 10A if the engine is running. If you were exceeding the limit of a fuse, then it would blow. Just be aware that pretty much no phones will charge fast when using GPS/NAV, as it is a very intensive process. Not only are you running an app non-stop, plus you're constantly downloading data (unless you have offline maps). And even if you're using auto-brightness, the screen is still on the whole time. Make sure your charger is capable of providing at least 2.1A to get the best possible charge.

No issue here with either 12v outlet. I use an amazon basics 2.1a charger in my car and it will charge slowly with screen on Waze and quicker using Waze with screen off. AmazonBasics Lightning Car Charger for iPhone, iPad and iPod - Coiled Cable - White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y07GJ5E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_-nlyybFEA4RXT

However, when I use the center console USB jack for the factory stereo the phone will discharge while using GPS.

Do you have tinted windows? Maybe something about your legacy is restricting your LTE signal, causing more phone battery draw.

The phone charger has a step-down converter that takes a voltage greater than what is needed to charge the phone and drops it down to 5VDC (9VDC for the Samsung Adaptive Fast Charger).

The most likely issue is your charger isn't able to provide the current required to charge your phone. If you paid less than $10 (Amazon price - eBay would be about half) for it and it is a generic, you most likely have 3A peak current with a lower continuous current value. I would not suspect an issue with your vehicle at all. Start with the charger. It is likely the vehicle either has more signal loss (windows, other attenuation issues) than the truck and thus it requires more power draw. If the phone is drawing more current, the chipset on the charger will be heating up more, and it may be limiting the current draw as a result.

What phone do you have?

Just to note, I tried a portable charger instead of plugging it into the car. Ran Waze and the phone charged fine. It's the car.

So let me get this straight.

You are taking the same 12v lighter socket USB charger and cable and using it in two cars and it charges your phone faster in one than in the Legacy?

A standard USB cable will conduct 1.5 amps, and the USB specification is limited to that. If your car can't provide that without a voltage drop you have serious charging system problems or some really botched wiring in there.

Your car does not and cannot "throttle" the current passing through the 12v lighter sockets. Physically impossible.

If your car is running at too low a voltage, then your 12v USB adaptor may not properly output 5v at all or at a decent current. That's the only way that the cars charging system could be at fault.

You could put an inline amperage meter in the lighter socket fuse and measure the current draw created by your phone.

buy one of these for $6, plug it into USB charger port and then plug your phone into USB port on device. I have one and I verified its accuracy using a regulated power supply that I can control voltage and current draw...

https://smile.amazon.com/Display-Tester-Current-Detector-Charger/dp/B015F83X0U/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1483078215&sr=8-9&keywords=usb+voltage+meter

Also check the voltage in the output when the charger is plugged in.

But one thing that I have experienced is that some chargers don't reach the bottom of the outlet and therefore remains unconnected causing the device to run on battery.

453747.png

So let me get this straight.

You are taking the same 12v lighter socket USB charger and cable and using it in two cars and it charges your phone faster in one than in the Legacy?

A standard USB cable will conduct 1.5 amps, and the USB specification is limited to that. If your car can't provide that without a voltage drop you have serious charging system problems or some really botched wiring in there.

Your car does not and cannot "throttle" the current passing through the 12v lighter sockets. Physically impossible.

If your car is running at too low a voltage, then your 12v USB adaptor may not properly output 5v at all or at a decent current. That's the only way that the cars charging system could be at fault.

You could put an inline amperage meter in the lighter socket fuse and measure the current draw created by your phone.

I imagine the Legacy is giving around 1.5A even though it should be twice that because of the Quick Charge 3.0 technology (phone supports QC 2.0). My work car, a Ford Focus Hybrid is probably supplying less than 1A. I can watch my phone go down rather than charge.

No.

The car has no current limiting capability other than a fuse blowing. Only the transformer in the socket-to-usb adaptor has that capability.

The car can easily flow 10 amps through that socket. It's up to to the adaptor to draw that much at the voltage available.

Archived