LegacyGT.com

I have one whole day in a pro garage with your new 2005 LGT...

So, I am a new LGT owner hailing from the Front Range in CO. I recently purchased an stock engine 2005 LGT Ltd 5spd with 113k on the clock (and now addicted to adrenaline lol [emoji13]). Greetings everyone!

So long story short, I am heading up to my buddy's pro-level garage up in the mountains to work on my car tomorrow, and I am wondering- what would people suggest that I look at as far as engine health/longevity is concerned? I am competent with NA engines but relatively new to turbos/Subarus/boxer engines and wanted to make sure I cover all my bases.

So far I know/have done this:

- stage 1 Cobb map

- boost is strong (well duh!) through the entire power range, but overboosts a bit over target numbers. Note I live/drive at altitude , 5400 ft, not sure if this affects overboost

- DAM is consistently at 1.00/1.00

- fine knock learn had tripped a couple times, haven't paid attention to when, but never goes below -1.4

- Exhaust temp regularly hits 1400 degrees with any sort of turbo use. Seems high to me and based on what I have read

- coolant temp actually runs low when idling (enough for the stock gauge to visibly drop, but within the "normal range" markings)

So far I have the following on my list:

-diff oil

-change oil (switching out a few hundred miles short of 3k so I can put rotella T6 in it)

- check timing belt (see how much time I have, I plan on doing it soon anyway to be safe as I am at 113k and no service record of the change)

- check turbo shaft play

- replace spark plugs

- check steering linkages

- remove banjo bolt

Questions:

Can anyone think of anything else I should check?

Does anyone have any time/cost estimates for doing this work (I probably will have a Subyhead friend whose done a lot of work on his WRX helping me)?

Is this reasonable to get done in a day?

If not, what would you all rate as highest priority?

I apologize for grouping a bunch of different topics in a general thread, seemed like the best fit. Thanks for the input and your patience to a budding Subaru enthusiast!

-thejazzcat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome,

read through the sticky's at the tops of the forums.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

Contact Dave at Cryotuning.com he's close to you and is someone your going to want to know.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

One day is no problem, the only task of any significance is pulling off the DP to check the turbo. A really good idea would be to put on a catless up-pipe. Probably can't get one before tomorrow. Obviously you'll want to check CV boots, links, and especially oil leaks. Unless the PO was all over it, you'll have a couple.

What part of the FR you in? I'm tech center and on my 3rd '05 if you ever want to stop by for bad ideas.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

relative, I am in the Boulder area, but I drive down to DTC somewhat often. I'm sure I'm going to want to know as many people as I can to help the learning curve :) I'm sure we will probably meet up at some point. Do you go to any of the Subaru meet-ups in the Greater Denver area?

max capacity, thanks for the suggestion! I am trying to scope out the Suby shops and techs that I can trust, I will look in to cryotune. Thanks for the recommendation!

- coolant temp actually runs low when idling (enough for the stock gauge to visibly drop, but within the "normal range" markings)

- check timing belt (see how much time I have, I plan on doing it soon anyway to be safe as I am at 113k and no service record of the change)

I've never seen a stock temp gauge move a degree, so that sounds like a dead thermostat. If there's any chance that timing belt is original, you should replace it fast; thermostat is a natural addition to that job.

I don't do meet-ups, but I'm sure all the info you could ever need is there.

Welcome to the forums! 113k and no timing belt yet? That needs to be done ASAP! (But it seems as if you're aware of that.)

Here's what else I'd do:

-Leakdown/Compression test while you do the plugs.

-Pull downpipe, check for shaft play in the turbo.

-Do a boost leak test to make sure you don't have any crazy vacuum leaks.

-Pop the top mount off and look for excessive blowby.

-At that altitude, you should *techincally* have a harder time making boost. The less dense air means the compressor needs to spin more to pack it up. If you're overboosting on a Stage 1 map give the wastegate, actuator, and boost controller/lines a good inspection. Usually the wastegate flappers on the VF40's walk out of place and cause low boost issues, but sometimes they can seize up and overboost.

-Temp fluctuations should not be that large, you've probably got a thermostat that's either sticking open, or the wrong heat range for a stock setup.

-Check all of you suspension bushings. The front lower control arm has two "hockey puck" bushings that are usually torn around this mileage.

-Front ball joints/wheel bearings wear out quickly too, especially if an aftermarket wheel setup was used, check for play.

-Check the brake hardlines going to the rear of the car, there's a TSB out for them. The lines are prone to rusting out and causing failure!

If all that checks out, then start forming a plan for what you want to do to the car, but always remember the oh-so-true adage: "Stay stock, stay happy!" ;)

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

Archived