LegacyGT.com

3.6R Idler Pulley Play? w/video link

Hello and Merry Christmas. Last night my serpentine belt came off. No damage just came off. I'm guessing that the idler pulley bearing is shot. The link below is for a video showing how much play there is and I'm hoping someone can say, Yep that your's problem. You don't have to open a dropbox account, it should just play if you click on it.

I only drove a little over 5 miles without the power steering and don't recommend it. If I had had to make any kind of emergency manuver I would have been screwed. I waited 1.5 hours for a tow and after Allstate said they couldn't get anyone I said F(*k It. The headlights were weak too but I went on lightly traveled back roads. Oh if anyones curious 2011 3.6R 56K miles & very mild tune from ThrottleHappy, soon to have XRT tune and hopefully headers pretty soon as well.

Thank you

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7u8bmr8zznm066m/36R_Idler_Pulley_Play.mp4?dl=0

Hi Qship. The pulley should have some play to it, but certainly NOT as much as in your example. Its inexpensive to replace, so pickup the part/s you need from quirkparts, rockauto, etc.

While at it, inspect all the other for similar play and consider picking up a GoodYear GatorBack serpentine belt to replace the stock one. Its a vast improvement, far less likely to slip off, squeal, or wear/age vs the OE part.

Are you saying you drove the car for ~5 miles with the belt off? If so, not only was your power steering off, but also your AC compressor, alternator and water pump (!). Hopefully the short trip didn't cause much/any additional issues.

Are you near Bear Mountain/Harriman State Park or closer to Nyack or Tappan Zee Bridge part of Rockland?

Thanks. I drove like I was hypermiling. Easy acceleration, timing lights so I didn't have to come to a complete stop, didn't go over 40mph and it was about 7:30pm. It seemed perfectly happy. AZP replaces belt as part of 60K service. I'll ask if they can use the GoodYear GatorBack. Wasn't that a OEM tire for the Corvette back in the day?

OK. Mike and co will likely need to know and order it upfront for you or you can order it and have them use it during the install. Typically they don't change it at 60K unless needed.

And yes, I believe that or something very similar was the name of a tire model years ago. Recently it looks like Goodyear sold off the Gatorback serpentine belt product line as I have seen them under a different brand name in recent past, forget which one.

Archived