LegacyGT.com

05 LGT got heat, but no defroster

Driving to see family in Oregon for the holidays, and hit snow on I5. Hit the defroster and all I get is heat out the front vents. Nothing happens when I toggle to defrost or floor. Now I'm at my in laws, with limited tools, trying to figure how to fix this for the drive home in a couple days.

Any suggestions on what I have to dismantle to get to the actuator? I'm hoping I can just move it to the defrost position to get me home.

Thanks for any suggestion!

Car is a 2005 Legacy Gt with Nav and dual heater controls and about 100k miles.

Thanks KRM. I ended up finding a youtube video about changing the cabin air filter, to figure out how to remove the glove box. Once I got the glovebox out, I pulled out the lower actuator and disconnected the upper actuator, then zip tied the upper levers so that I had defroster always on. I'll buy a couple new actuators and install them both when I get a chance, but now at least I'll have a defroster for my snowy 500 mile drive home.

The actuators (or servos, not sure what they are called) seemed to have power, but when I took out and took apart the lower actuator, it was binding up. The upper one wouldn't work even with the lower one out.

Hopefully the replacement actuators aren't too expensive and I can get them installed in a week or two.

Here's the youtube link - it's a pretty good video to take apart the glovebox.

• 1 month later...
Still havent sorted this out. Bought a replacement mode door actuator, which didn't solve the problem, so bought a replacement electrical box (temp control module) from the same parts car. Still doesn't work - but at least now it's kind of moved. I'm starting a new thread to see if there might be wiring problem, since the wires to the actuator are aftermarket and wrapped in elect tape. Wondering if there is a short in those wires, and wondering why those wires would have been messed with - maybe part of the recent air bag recall???

• 2 weeks later...
Finally got this fixed. I tried a used mode door actuator, that didn't fix the problem. I then bought a used temp control module/electric box with a circuit board. Still didn't work. I then ordered a brand new mode door actuator and installed that with the used temp control module I bought and finally got everything to work. My feet are happy and warm now, since I can adjust the temp doors again, as I've had the doors zip tied to defrost since Christmas.

Archived