LegacyGT.com

Put car in drive and no go

So something went in my transmission today. When you put the car in any gear it will start to move and then nothing at all a second later. Then shut it off and it will do that allover again, it just started doing this today but I noticed a whine from it yesterday. The car is a jdm 1999 legacy gt wagon

I have checked all the fluids they are good. I was thinking maybe it was contamination in the fluids or something.

Could be, or maybe an old/dirty filter too. I have a 99 Legacy w/auto trans and those are prone to a shifting issue when cold. Mine has had a recent,(1yr ago), flush & refill and still bogs, (won't upshift until warm). Otherwise it shifts smooth, keep searching and good luck

I have found that using Valvoline synthetic fluid works really well for fixing the 2-3 accumulator charge delay on first shift when cold. As soon as I put that stuff in my 2003 Legacy the transmission immediately ceased to have that problem and also quit with the occasional harsh downshift from 4-3 when slowing down. car now has 108K on it. Also I would STRONGLY recommend changing that external filter as well... after 18+ years, it's done.

also the TCM will delay upshifts to aide in warming the engine up so when it is cold delayed upshifts is very normal.

Archived