LegacyGT.com

Compatibility...

Hey! I recently became the owner of a very sexy, 2nd gen wagon. (I'll introduce myself in the right section in a bit. ;)) but for now--the previous owner had the bright idea of removing the spring coils on the vehicle, as if the struts (shock absorber part) wasn't already worn out enough. It bumps like crazy enough to where the seller's (owners' friend) kids dubbed it the Rollercoaster. Anyways, I read the suspension sticky and it doesnt really provide the information I seek, albeit it was very useful info that I may use later on. I've never really been good at searching forums for specific threads-- i had some luck but not a clear answer so I'm forced to make this post;

When searching for the front pair strut assembly for a '95 leg wagon, I can only ever come across the strut shock, and never the full assy that would include a spring coil. I can't seem to find spring coils for sale at all for the wagon. I'd love to just get a set off a junkyard car, but Juneau AK has no junkyards (which reallllllllly sucks). However, when searching for a strut assy. For the '98 model year legacy wagon, they come up like nothing. Why is that? Is there any difference amongst these parts that warrants this result? Or can I just buy the strut assy. For the '98 and directly install it onto my '95? Mind you my '95 has no ABS.

If thats unable to happen, is there any impreza set that I can buy? As of now I'm just trying to get it to run smoothly, and $1,000 coilovers are out of the question, unless you have a $300 front pair that is worth buying.

Thanks a bunch! I hope to be part of the Suby community. :)

No one makes/sells the assembled strut. I wish they did because it's way easier to install them. You have to buy all the parts separately, there are a few companies that produce coil springs but I don't know who (besides the dealer)off the top of my head. You can use coils from any 95-99 legacy/outback, they are all the same as far as I know, the struts are different though, the struts are taller and shorter depending what car they came off of.

No one makes/sells the assembled strut. I wish they did because it's way easier to install them. You have to buy all the parts separately, there are a few companies that produce coil springs but I don't know who (besides the dealer)off the top of my head. You can use coils from any 95-99 legacy/outback, they are all the same as far as I know, the struts are different though, the struts are taller and shorter depending what car they came off of.

I found these, would these work?

https://m.1aauto.com/1998-99-subaru-legacy-strut-and-spring-assembly-pair/i/1assp00874?f=877576&y=1998&utm_campaign=gb_csv_br&utm_content=SSP&gclid=CjwKEAiAs_PCBRD5nIun9cyu01kSJAA-WD-rKIaCJ0WkiqQjIbVusFpAtIDICuXfY2rWwYviAxPU2hoCsgDw_wcB

They look right and if the pictures are accurate then they'll work. But I don't see a brand name and a pair for $180? That's absurdly cheap. They should work but who knows what the ride will be like or how long they will last.

Lol I hear ya. But, right now it has the equivalent of none. So, I'm just trying to get something there so that I could save up for some goodies :)

BTW, there should be a full strut - complete - on either Amazon or Ebay. The Sensen brand is supposedly OK, if you can find them.

Also, if you want to LIFT it you can put Legacy Outback and Forester struts on it, too. Search on other Subie forums about that option.

Td

Rockauto has them, but you need to search for a 99 Legacy 2.2L. Its all the same body style from 95-99 and the wagon and sedan shocks and struts all fit between the years. The front shock assemblies will run you about $89 a piece and the rear will run you about $113 a piece.

http://i.imgur.com/Cvvj3gL.png

• 1 month later...

So I have had them on for a few months now. I can't really say if they are better or worse than OE quality since I bought the car with dead shocks- but, I gotta say that they have been really good to me. They work great, absorb bumps like a champ and have a really smooth ride. I must imagine if these ride great than monroe shocks or whatever must ride like a cloud.

When I took them out of the box they were in great shape, the quality of them is comparable to any shock, they looked well built and solid. I would've installed them had I been with all my tools, but I just moved so- they were an easy install, since they came fully assembled compressed and all. If you're ballin' on a budget, or are having a hard time finding new spring coils, I'd recommend these. Here in Alaska cars get rusty like crazy and spring coils are a common part that goes bad. I know we all like to get the best thing for our cars but don't let the price fool ya, this is a good buy. don't let the people who say "I would never put such a cheap thing on my car" put you down, they work great! this assy. is a lot cheaper than ONE coil at the dealership. so, even if its temporary this is a great buy.:lol:

Archived