LegacyGT.com

Non OEM Coolant?

Hello, I want to know what Non OEM coolant i can use in my 1994(Yes 1994 its imported) First Gen(Chassy Code BC) Subaru Legacy Sport. I dont want to get Subaru Supper coolant because shipping is to long. Ive been looking at this http://www.pentosin.net/specsheets/Pentofrost_A2.pdf It should work with the aluminum parts, and this http://lucasoil.com/products/problem-solvers-utility/super-coolant as a coolant conditioner supplement. Any help and I have no warranty to void on this car.

I really don't think coolant makes that much difference in normal cars, people will say certain ones will cause certain issues but our cars are so simplified and not picky that I don't think you'll see any downsides to running generic stuff. Napa sells a Red Asian spec fluid. Our OEM color is supposed to be a dark green, and I run just normal Prestone/Peak which is the bright green. I've never seen any proof on adverse affects of coolant types besides extra corrosion but how do you really measure that, you know?

As far as additives go, make sure to read the labels, some say DO NOT add to coolant, when you add Hy-per Lube coolant super coolant it creates a weird greasy byproduct that lined the inside of my overflow tank.

Using regular coolant is fine, but even if you use a special coolant, you will still have to keep an eye on the charge levels in the cooling system, since the electrical system uses the engine as a ground, and because of this, hydrolysis can and will do damage to any set of head gaskets with graphite on them. If you have the old graphite head gaskets, prep at some point to upgrade to full MLS. That small amount of electricity will not be able to eat through the full steel plates of the upgraded head gaskets.

Archived