LegacyGT.com

WTH 03 forester 2.5 timing belt

I have an 03 forester, I have done several timing belts and I have an issue I have never come across before. I had a leaking water pump and decided since the belt had not been changed since I owned it I needed to do it all. I pulled the balancer and front cover and lined up all the timing marks and removed the belt and tensioner and idler pulleys. While I replaced water pump and idlers the crank and camshafts never moved. I lined up my new belt have tried to turn it over with a breaker bar and I am binding up after I turn about 45 degrees. I have triple:confused: checked belt direction and my marks. I have had a couple buddies do the same. It all looks good to us. I have not turned it over with the starter and am sure I will bend valves. I can however remove the belt and turn the crank and cams over 360 if the belt is off and they are not lined up. But with the belt on and the marks lined up I can't ANY IDEAS!!!:confused:

Try rotating the crank so that the pistons are all mid-stroke, and then see if you can spin the cam sprockets. Maybe one of them rotated 180° without you noticing. Just double check. I'd bet that's what your problem is because they can snap around really quickly when the belt comes off. It's very smart that you haven't tried turning it over with the starter yet!

I have an 03 forester, I have done several timing belts and I have an issue I have never come across before. I had a leaking water pump and decided since the belt had not been changed since I owned it I needed to do it all. I pulled the balancer and front cover and lined up all the timing marks and removed the belt and tensioner and idler pulleys. While I replaced water pump and idlers the crank and camshafts never moved. I lined up my new belt have tried to turn it over with a breaker bar and I am binding up after I turn about 45 degrees. I have triple:confused: checked belt direction and my marks. I have had a couple buddies do the same. It all looks good to us. I have not turned it over with the starter and am sure I will bend valves. I can however remove the belt and turn the crank and cams over 360 if the belt is off and they are not lined up. But with the belt on and the marks lined up I can't ANY IDEAS!!!:confused:

Do you have a copy of the FSM?

You should probably start at the beginning of the timing sequence from that. Put the crank on the mark and cams in neutral position. Rotate the crank only (again) to confirm the binding is not present and then start setting the cams. Cylinder #2, 4 ones are set at high lift so they need to be held while you slip on the belt. There is a preferred direction to rotate those ones into position so you don't bang the exhaust valves into the intake valves. All in the FSM. Search on 'holiday pics' for it if you don't already have a copy.

If something looks out of place, count the teeth. Is it possible you have the wrong belt there? A tooth count would rule that out and make sure the marks on the belt are in the right position.

Archived