LegacyGT.com

1994 Legacy What Is The Trim And Whats the engine.

So I bought a POS 1994 Legacy, I need to replace the timing belt but I cant figure out the trim or the engine in it. All i know, Its manual, has a turbo, 6th vin digit is 6, and in the engine bay it says that the engine code is ej22t. If anyone know what timing belt I need it would help me allot.

I think all the timing components are the same for the early 2.2 but I am not 100% sure. Also if you google your vin, you should be able to find what trim package it is.

Yea its a sport and of course i ordered a timing belt kit with a non turbo water pump.

I think all the timing components are the same for the early 2.2 but I am not 100% sure. Also if you google your vin, you should be able to find what trim package it is.

You're correct. The timing components for the 2.5 and 2.2 are identical with the exception of the actual belt. The 2.5 belt is longer than the 2.2, but the pulleys, gears, and tensioner are the same.

You're correct. The timing components for the 2.5 and 2.2 are identical with the exception of the actual belt. The 2.5 belt is longer than the 2.2, but the pulleys, gears, and tensioner are the same.

I know there are two styles of tensioners, the phase 1 2.2 and maybe the early 1.8s/2.0s had them too. But the older ones had a cylindrical piston style tensioner that pushes against a separate pulley rather than the newer style that has a pulley as part of the tensioner assembly.

I know there are two styles of tensioners, the phase 1 2.2 and maybe the early 1.8s/2.0s had them too. But the older ones had a cylindrical piston style tensioner that pushes against a separate pulley rather than the newer style that has a pulley as part of the tensioner assembly.
Not only did I have to find belt size, and the correct tensioner, but I somehow totally forgot to double check the water pump. The 1994 Sport Is the most confusing especially one from japan that isn't technically second gen but everyone thinks it is.

This site shows the JDM years one ahead of the USA models.

The USA 1st Gen Legacy - including the '91-'94 Sport Sedan turbo models are all 1st Gen. But the JDM Legacy started in '94.

AND DON'T CONFUSE the USA '94 GT w/the SS. The GT in the US was a raised roof (like the '96+ Outback) but had the same engine and trans as the other non-turbo models (L, LS) in '94. In JDM(?) and Aussie (?) the GT was their turbo model, I believe.

The '92-'94 waterpumps are unique to those years, AFAIK; the '91 is the same as the '02-'05 WRX as it also had the oil cooler. You could use the WRX pump and block off the line to the oil cooler....but double-check that.

NOTE: I highly recommend getting the O-ring that sits behind the oil pump(between block and pump) resealing it - see THIS for the oil pump - , tighten those Phillips head screws back there too, and getting a new crank seal. I'd also get a new oil sender (under the Alternator) as they like to leak down on your brand new timing belt.

P.s. there are NO POS SS/TW EJ22T cars...they are all still Diamonds...even if a little rough 'round the edges. :-)

P.s. there are NO POS SS/TW EJ22T cars...they are all still Diamonds...even if a little rough 'round the edges. :-)

The engine is a diamond/tank but the rest of the car is Fricked, I think the trunk was once used as a swamp.

PS this summer is when ill fix everything like oil pumps because its so cold rn and hard just to do the timing belt.

I don't know about that, I know of someone with a 92? EJ22T with 213k on it, luckily it's a complete car but it's been sitting in a makeshift junkyard in the mountains for who knows how long, they said they'd sell me the whole car for $1300 but I priced out over $4k in repairs.

I don't know about that, I know of someone with a 92? EJ22T with 213k on it, luckily it's a complete car but it's been sitting in a makeshift junkyard in the mountains for who knows how long, they said they'd sell me the whole car for $1300 but I priced out over $4k in repairs.

Everyone I see, even in rough condition, the owner refuses to part with it.

:icon_chee:icon_chee:icon_chee:icon_chee:icon_chee:icon_chee:icon_twislol wow yeah that things totaled. Probably best to pull the engine and ship the engine to me for disposal.:lol:

VW Bug Owners love the ej engines for the older pre 98 bugs. I know because I was into them.

did you see the one on CL with the busted front end for 700 bucks? i almost got it for the drive train alone

I missed that one. I would have offered $500, stripped the motor and tranny and junked the rest. The motor alone is worth it.

So I bought a POS 1994 Legacy, I need to replace the timing belt but I cant figure out the trim or the engine in it. All i know, Its manual, has a turbo, 6th vin digit is 6, and in the engine bay it says that the engine code is ej22t. If anyone know what timing belt I need it would help me allot.

Your POS has very special Shortblock that we've never got in the USA before or after. It's a Closed Deck block.

I missed that one. I would have offered $500, stripped the motor and tranny and junked the rest. The motor alone is worth it.

i was gonna do the same thing. my kids wouldnt let me. for some reason they think 6 cars and 2 motorcycles is enough projects. i tried to explain the swap potential but they were adamant.

Archived