LegacyGT.com

4th Gen LGT Engine Interchangeability

Hey LGT friends,

I've got a 2007 specB with about 170k on it and I've been planning on rebuilding the engine as it's probably about time and it's something I enjoy doing. I found a local 2005 LGT that according to the owner, has low compression on one cylinder. I went and checked it out last night and it's in excellent condition, started right up, and ran just fine. He wanted $2500 but I talked him down to $2000. I have the knowledge, tools and skill set to rebuild the engine which is why I'm considering this route.

Question: My understanding is that the specB and LGT have the same longblock throughout 05-09, is this true? Are they direct swap motors?

My plan is to pick up the LGT, yank the motor, rebuild it over the winter (slowly and stress free!), then swap it into my specB whenever I'm done. After break-in and determining all is well, the specB's old motor will get some love and be plopped into the LGT which I'll then sell that to cover whatever costs I've incurred, and hopefully make a couple bucks :)

Thanks for any input!

My 2007 specB (full undercarriage & drivetrain refinish, every nut and bolt replaced, full engine rebuild/restore, glass-out respray, air ride, wide body, and more! All done by me, at home!)

Instagram: @bagriders_john for more Subarus (and also my wife and cat)

Why not start a new shortblock? This seems like the harder approach. rebuild the o5 and sell it.

I appreciate the input and consideration, but really just looking for an an answer to my question :)

If I bought a new or used shortblock or longblock to swap into my specB, I'd be left with an engine or parts of an engine to sell once I'm done. In my experience, it's much easier to sell engines when they're attached to a working vehicle :)

Is this approach harder and requires more work on my behalf? Definitely. That's something I'm perfectly OK with. I'm not strapped for cash and I enjoy the labor.

My 2007 specB (full undercarriage & drivetrain refinish, every nut and bolt replaced, full engine rebuild/restore, glass-out respray, air ride, wide body, and more! All done by me, at home!)

Totally forgot about the air injection pump on the 07+ that results in the difference in cylinder heads and electrical stuff-- doh!

Archived