LegacyGT.com

Valve...knock? Post turbo replacement engine failure

Please help if you can... I'm having some trouble with my 200k mile 5EAT Leggy GT...

VIDEO:

HISTORY: Bought car @~193k - fixed valve cover gasket.

@~197k VF40 turbo failure. Replaced with another VF40. New oil and filter.

@ ~200k second turbo failure happened while driving uphill on low fuel tank, felt a misfire (cylinder 2 code in ECU). Removed cylinder 2 spark plug to find the ground strap bent into the electrode. Replaced the #2 cyl spark plug and the car ran fine, except for the lack of turbo. Unhooked the wastegate and with no other option, continued to drive the car around.

- After driving 100-200 miles on the blown turbo, the turbo was replaced with a used VF46 and the oil and filter were changed. Banjo screen was removed this time. It had sludge in it which explains the two turbo failures. There were small chunks of metal in the turbo oil drain tube, and the turbo had a large amount of shaft play - however it had not lost any fins on the compressor or turbine wheels.

So a used VF46 in good shape was installed, oil and filter changed. The used oil had some brassy color to it. The car was driven ~7 miles after the repair, all seemingly normal, before this issue happened. While accelerating in light boost I experienced a sudden loss of power, a flashing CEL, and a feeling of misfire.

Pulling over I began to hear this noise. The code is p0302. Roughness monitor in Rom-Raider shows that cylinder 2 is continually misfiring again. Towed car home.

After watching the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBSUdIS6WKU ~6-8 oz of Seafoam was put into the crankcase oil and run for ~10 minutes. As the car warmed up, the noise quieted down a very small amount but is still very present.

I have not yet completed a secondary oil change and motor flush. Considering that as the next step before taking the car to a mechanic. Hoping it is not rod-knock... but fear a valve issue may cost nearly as much and end up killing my car. Haven't taken the cylinder 2 spark plug out yet. Not sure where to go from here... help?? :(

I fear total failure may be the case... I was hoping the (premium) oil filter would protect my motor through this failure.

I know I was taking a big chance with these turbo failures and just throwing on a new turbo... I have read about a few cases where a "turbo slap" has been fine, but also plenty where it is not...

I picked this car up for very very cheap (<1k), so I've not lost too much... just don't have the cash to get a new motor put in. It doesn't sound like any rod-knock I've heard before, so I've been hoping for a better result... but.. :(

Anyone want to buy a broken LGT?

It only killed 2 turbos in that time. On first replacement, I mistakenly thought that the oil screen was in the turbo's oil banjo bolt, and I saw no screen. On the second replacement, I removed the screen in that head bolt right below the turbo, and it was full of gunk. I chalked the two failures up to the screen.

Is there ANY chance that a bottle of motor flush and another oil change will free up a lifter and make this noise go away? (like in the video of the 1999 Outback)

Can an experienced engine builder save it with new bearings and a new oil cooler? Or is a new longblock the only real solution? It was a one owner car, with maintenance like timing belt on the carfax... and only full synthetic oil used... really thought I had found a good one :(

Can an experienced engine builder save it with new bearings and a new oil cooler? Or is a new longblock the only real solution? It was a one owner car, with maintenance like timing belt on the carfax... and only full synthetic oil used... really thought I had found a good one :(

Only way to save it is complete rebuild . Anything that touch oil with the metal in it is liable to fail at this point.

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

Found a long block from an 07 5MT... will that bolt right up?

How do you know it hasn't has a turbo failure with secret particles floating around it's system? How can you be 100% certain it doesn't have a ringland failure? Ringland failure doesn't always manifest symptoms right away.

Get a new shortblock or find a long block with a warranty or risk paying double.

Archived