LegacyGT.com

Burning oil smell

Any of the following could cause burning oil smell once they come in contact with the exhaust:

Leaking valve cover gaskets

Leaking oil cooler seal

Torn cv joint boot

And my nemesis leaking power steering pump

This is the single most annoying thing about this car in the almost 8 years I've owned it. I have had no more than a few months of no oil burning smell due to the items mentioned above. I'm on my third power steering pump. The rebuilds that i've bought only last a few months with no leaks. Once they leak the oil runs down the engine making a mess and burning as it hits the exhaust.

Does this smell tend to come in through the heater ducts? Mrs. Spif has been getting a burn like smell through the heater and mostly only while stopped. Due to the nature of it, I'm guessing a small oil leak that burns and gets blown out the engine bay while driving but collects under the hood while stopped and is thus drawn in through the blower fan.

I've found if the oil filter isn't nice and tight it'll slowly drip onto the exhaust manifold or heat shields. Most noticeable after a coming to a stop after a high speed run.

same with me, but its not the oil filter, its the passanger axle seal.. lines up right with the downpipe and spins lube onto it. only notice it when i am stopped too, but not for a long time.

Any of the following could cause burning oil smell once they come in contact with the exhaust:

Leaking valve cover gaskets

Leaking oil cooler seal

Torn cv joint boot

And my nemesis leaking power steering pump

+ breather hoses on top of block (direct experience)

+ AVCS line (I've heard)

Archived