LegacyGT.com

Anyone with wheel bearing issues?

This has me on edge. Not that it will happen to me but whose to say it won't. I received delivery of my 15 Legacy in November of 2014 and just hit 15K on the odometer so I am in wait and see mode.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

haven't been here in a while.

Our 2015 3.6 R making howling noise in rear right with acceleration

and gets louder with speed. Its not the brakes. I think its probably

a wheel bearing. Anyone else have this issue?

My 2016 Legacy just had the rear right wheel bearing replaced at 18,500 miles.

I also had my two rear wheel bearings replaced mid-December. They asked me if I had driven over something that would have caused a harsh ride, like a pothole. I said no, I baby my car.

I just wonder if they came from a bad batch and that I will also have to replace the front two.

• 2 weeks later...
Had the right rear wheel bearing replaced this week under warranty. It was beginning to growl at 13,500 miles. The dealer tech didn't hear it during the test drive but caught it when he checked the car while on the lift. Apparently this defect is common enough that Subaru has my dealer's parts department keep 6 bearing kits in stock.

I'm starting to feel like an hypochondriac reading and listening to these issues and within a week i'm dealing with similar. Just heard a sound from the wheel well yesterday at about 25-mph range and the first thing i thought of was this thread.

Just drive it, there are really very few problems. With 26000 I have had nothing go wrong, no oil burning, wheel bearings, gas door or any of the the other few problems people have and I think for the amount of Subaru's on the road it's a small amount of problems. I'm going to replace the tires this year but I'm not with what. I want quiet and smooth!!

• 1 year later...
I had been hearing a whining noise for the last 2 months or so and originally thought it might be the the tires. A mechanic friend went on a ride with me and said no, but maybe its the wheel bearings. I didn't think that possible because of the low mileage but I took it into the dealer yesterday and sure enough it was both front bearings. The replaced them in little over 2 hours. But as my lease is up and I was thinking about getting either a Legacy or Impreza I figured I better find out if this is a chronic problem. Anyone?

It can be an issue with lots of Subi s over the years. I had 1 or 2 on my 08 Outback at 60K plus, then on my other 4 Subi s, 14,15,17 I have had no issues yet. I have had friend have two go out on their Outback with less than 10K on the car. So it is an issue for some but it s warrantied and a pretty easy fix. Other vehicle have issues too as theses parts are made by manufactures. Salty roads can bring it on sooner as can hitting lots of pot holes. I wouldn t make my choice on a car based on this alone.

Im starting to hear some whining from my wife's car at 31K miles. Mine seems to be coming from the rear. I'll pull the wheel and rotor this weekend to take a look, listen, and feel.

Ive personally never owned a car that had a wheel bearing go bad prior to hitting 150K miles. If Subaru is having so many bearing issues, they need to take a look at who their bearing manufacturer is or re-visit the specs that they accept from them.

• 1 month later...

Just to update this thread.

My wife's car developed a whine/groan from the rear driver's side wheel. I pulled the wheel and the bearing hub turned freely with no perceivable lateral movement. I then rotated the tires to eliminate an unbalanced wheel and the noise still persisted. At that point, I took it in under warranty, suspecting a bad wheel bearing. They ended up changing both rear bearing hubs under warranty. :)

Just to update this thread.

My wife's car developed a whine/groan from the rear driver's side wheel. I pulled the wheel and the bearing hub turned freely with no perceivable lateral movement. I then rotated the tires to eliminate an unbalanced wheel and the noise still persisted. At that point, I took it in under warranty, suspecting a bad wheel bearing. They ended up changing both rear bearing hubs under warranty. :)

Finally had a Bearing failure going in next week.. Parts guy says it's pretty common on the outbacks so they stock the hubs..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2015 Legacy Premium. Droning noise started appearing around 20K miles at front driver side wheel. I suspect that it was a wheel bearing noise, so I drove 4000 more miles to make sure that the noise was loud enough for the dealer to confirm it. Took the car to the dealer today at 24K miles. Dealer confirmed that the wheel bearing hub was making the noise, and the wheel bearing was replaced under warranty. Also, the car had a stuck fuel door, and the dealer replaced the part according to TSB. The battery also failed at 24 months. The original pathetic 350CCA battery was replaced with 550CCA battery under warranty as well.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

I just had my right rear bearing replaced under extended warranty today. It was humming between 30 and 40 mph while coasting. I think it was just starting to go bad. Not sure if 58K miles is premature failure but my older subies got over 100K before I had a bad rear bearing.

diy_guy: my 2016 legacy with 58K miles is on it's forth replacement battery by the stealership. This current one is showing signs of going with about 1 year on it. They keep replacing them with the same exact one, fail.

Edited by kero