LegacyGT.com

Anyone with wheel bearing issues?

haven't been here in a while.

Our 2015 3.6 R making howling noise in rear right with acceleration

and gets louder with speed. Its not the brakes. I think its probably

a wheel bearing. Anyone else have this issue?

There are reports of bearing issues. My dealer service rep and I talked about it some and he acknowledged there have been issues primarily with 2015MY. He said by 2016 the problems should have been corrected, "but ya never know, one could slip through".

Your dealer should take care of it.

Had to have rear right replaced just a couple months ago - just before 50,000 miles. Was covered under warranty. Dealers didn't admit to any known issues (I talked to 5 different ones about it before I scheduled the appointment, but that's a different story).

How much to replace one wheel bearing?

Out of warranty with 42k miles.

Wheel bearings are covered under the 5 year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty. Read your Warranty & Maintenance Guide.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Subi s have had this issue since at least 08 when I had my first subi...

They have been correcting this for years. LOL.

Dealer price is probably around 400-500 hundred dollars to change one. A little annoying but not a deal killer for me... I think my 08 was about $300 to replace from a local shop that I trusted. Warranty is even better but it won t be the last one that goes.

IMO these Subi s are used in salted area s a lot which seep into the bearing and causes premature failure... Be interested to know if it is worse in salted areas. Plus I believe a nasty pot hole environment can hurt too....\ In my snow belt area it s common among many different makes.

There are other threads here on this. My 2016 3.6R had a rear wheel bearing replaced around 16,000 mi. Subaru needs a new supplier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don t you think over all these years the supplier has changed? That would be my guess. :confused:

Don t you think over all these years the supplier has changed? That would be my guess. :confused:

The suppliers can't keep up so Subie is looking for and trying out more and more suppliers.

But even a single long time supplier can screw up and make a bad part. Or thousands of them, look at the recent steering column problem. Or Takata.

Common sense tells us that sometimes the QC problem may not be discovered until the parts hit the field. It happens, catching it is key, correcting it is good policy. Subaru responds to these failures just like they should.

Made appt at dealer in 2 weeks to look at wheel bearing(s), latest recall for ignition relay \ cold temps, and brake clapping noise at the beginning of every drive.

Might as well knock out as many as I can in one trip - 2 of 3 should be under warranty \ recall free of charge.

Update: Took my car in today and they had to replace the front passenger side bearing. Much better now...

How long did it take the dealer to do?

Mine is either front passenger or both rear - hard to pinpoint the harmonic sound.

It only took them a couple of hours...I dropped the car off at 1 and it was done by 4:30. There is also supposed to be an update for my infotainment unit, but I was told by the dealership that it would be $122 to hook up my car and check for an update. If there was no update, I was still out the $122. If there was an update, I wouldn't have to pay any additional funds. Lol...I said no thanks...

It only took them a couple of hours...I dropped the car off at 1 and it was done by 4:30. There is also supposed to be an update for my infotainment unit, but I was told by the dealership that it would be $122 to hook up my car and check for an update. If there was no update, I was still out the $122. If there was an update, I wouldn't have to pay any additional funds. Lol...I said no thanks...

It should still be under warranty.

... according to the service advisor, the update to the infotainment center was not [covered under warranty].

Time to call SOA.

From TSB 15-205-16:

For vehicles within the Basic New Car Limited Warranty period or covered by a Subaru Added Security Gold plan, this repair may be submitted using the following ...
Step 1 of the TSB is to check the software revision level in the head unit to avoid unintentionally installing a redundant update or, even worse, "updating" backwards to an earlier software revision.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Time to call SOA.

From TSB 15-205-16:

Step 1 of the TSB is to check the software revision level in the head unit to avoid unintentionally installing a redundant update or, even worse, "updating" backwards to an earlier software revision.

Interesting...so if I am reading this correctly, since I have the added security Gold plan, this update should be covered?

How long did it take the dealer to do?

Mine is either front passenger or both rear - hard to pinpoint the harmonic sound.

The repair should be short, only about 20-30mins tops, to swap them out. If it has to be pinpointed, maybe a little longer.

They should be able to check it with a lift, spinning each one freely to see which. If not, take it on a test drive to play it out for them.

In my case, they couldn't tell (or refused to verify) it on a lift, but I insisted they drive it, once it was 25MPH+, you can clearly hear it howling and they changed it, took 20mins.