LegacyGT.com

97 Legacy 2.2 will not start. Alternator QUESTION

I had a very long 8 months of the same problem I am having again. There is an old post about that here somewhere.

To summarize, for 8 months I couldn't get my 97 legacy 2.2 to start. It turned over just fine. I changed all the electrical ignition components, the coil, the ignitor, cam censor, crank sensor and the computer and no start only to have what I contributed to colder weather it started one morning after I charged the battery all night as I have done many times from wearing the battery down trying to start it.

We drove it when it started that time and then it died on the road, just died while we were driving. Towed it home, put the charger back on it and charged for 5 hours and it started up again. Drove it all around and seemed just fine.

Next day started it up, drove to work, parked it and when I got in to start it at the end of the day, it wouldn't start. Cranks just fine as usual but wouldn't start. Went and bought a new battery and all was GREAT for 1 year and two months where I drove to work and then when got in it to go home right back to where I was a year ago.

I put the charger on it and checked everything without buying any more parts and nothing would make it even come close to starting. After a few days I pulled the batter out and took it to Les Schwabb and borrowed a new battery right off their shelf and sure enough it started right up and then shortly after but I thought it sounded rough and blamed that on snow or ice in the intake or something. I brought the new batter indoors where it is nice and warm and put the charger on it because I know I ran it down trying to crank it and this morning I put the brand new batter in and it started right up so I left it running even turned the heater on full blast and after a 5 or 10 minutes it died but it started right back up so I turned the heater off and left it running and when I went back out it had died again and now it will not start. So the batter is back inside on the charger warming up and I am wondering if I have an alternator issue maybe a short or something.

Mind you, same symptoms as before where the new batter got me a year and two months of no problems. The alternator clearly worked then and I am aware it might not work now?

Will a failing alternator inhibit starting even when the battery is mostly or fully charged?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I have about $4000 into this car with all the parts I have put into and labor so I have to keep it running to get my money out of it.

I don't see a car running for a year on a new battery with a bad alternator. You can check voltage with the car running and loads on (highbeams, blower on full speed) to see if the alternator is putting out around 14 volts. Are your cable ends on tight and clean?

My guess is you have a draw in the system. 50mA or less is acceptable.

I don't see a car running for a year on a new battery with a bad alternator. You can check voltage with the car running and loads on (highbeams, blower on full speed) to see if the alternator is putting out around 14 volts. Are your cable ends on tight and clean?

My guess is you have a draw in the system. 50mA or less is acceptable.

I just pulled the alternator out to have it bench tested after I get off work but if it test fine, assuming their testing is on par I will plug it back in and see if I can test the voltage as you suggest.

I suspect I can get it running but I don't know if it will get me to where I want to get the voltage tested but will see what happens and keep you posted. Thanks for the advice.

OK, the alternator tested good on the bench. Put it back in today with the brand new warm fully charged battery and it started right up like a charm.

Took it for a short drive and it over heated, I think that was the thermostat because after turning it off and waiting a few minutes it drafted the overflow coolant back in and the temperature was back to normal with the key on.

However, I started it and it ran for a bit and then died and would not start, but someone suggested I take the ground wire off the battery and then try it again and sure enough it will start if I take the ground off and put it back on but right now it runs for a little bit and very poorly.

I'm going to let it cool down and then try it again and see. I have been very careful watching the temp on the car and haven't had an over heating problem in a very long time.

In theory taking the ground off is resetting something in the computer that is preventing spark. Does this help with possibly diagnosing the problem.

The shop I want to take it too is 15 miles away and I don't think it will drive that far without stalling and choking out.

Archived