LegacyGT.com

Well, my transmission just died

Before I get to the story I'll give you some car specs. 1996 Legacy wagon 2.2 with 4.11 4EAT trans with 162k on it and the trans was flushed at 148k

So I was sitting waiting to turn at a light and I had the car in neutral because the light I was sitting at was on a very long cycle. When I put it in drive, there was a pause where nothing happened, then a brief clunk which was audible and shook the car and after that it went and gear and seemed ok. The car shifts from 1-2 and 2-3 ok but when it shifts into 4th, it stays engaged for a couple seconds and then goes into a sort of neutral until I slow back to 3rd. Then when coming to a stop, there is a metallic whirling kinda similar to a brake rotor rubbing the backing plate. Then when you put it in park, it grinds gears like the clutch wasn't engaged all the way. I limped it home at it's max speed of 35mph and it seems stable, just awful. I'll have a video once my go-pro charges.

What do ya'll think?

Oh man. Gonna hate when it happens to me...

I'm pushing 365,000km on her second motor though. The trans is still good though. Firm shifts and bright red fluid still.

*edit*

On the plus side there a JDM wrecker a few KM up the road. Have quite a bit of 2nd and 3rd gen imprezas and wrxs

Keep your eyes open for a good salvage title or parts wagon

I followed the tow truck to Aamco and along the way, the sound of silence came across the radio. It was pretty depressing but I decided that I wouldn't let the car die cause of this and I'd get it fixed no matter how much it will cost.

If you don't know which song I'm talking about it's here

The shop should get to look at it tomorrow so we'll see what they say.

http://i1317.photobucket.com/albums/t637/96Brighton/IMG_20161216_173339059_zps7kyfcqzw.jpg

So the shop initially quoted $1300 in labor plus parts costs. But then called me today once they got the trans out and said it'd be between $4500-6900 depending what parts I wanted them to use. So I went and talked with him, he was saying it was 24 hours labor at $120 an hour and with $2880 in labor plus parts somehow equated to $4500 which seemed like bullshit but eventually I got him to call up the owner and do it for $2500. That's still the value of the car but way better than $4500. I should have it back just after Christmas :D

That's for a rebuilt/reman transmission right? I got a junkyard trans from my mechanic friend using his boss's business account for $350 i think. Unknown mileage, but with my power goals I'll need a newer 5mt anyway.

Yeah, that's take the guts out of my transmission and put in new clutches and what not. I didn't want to go the unknown mileage used trans route unless I had to, in which case I was going to buy a whole parts car to swap other stuff I want too. I would also like to do a 5 or 6 speed manual conversion but I wasn't prepared to do that swap right now so that'll have to wait haha.

Archived