LegacyGT.com

What kind of auto box is a 4th Gen?

No it is not a "tiptronic", that's an Audi marketing word. It is a standard 5 speed automatic with manual select mode (sport shift in Subaru marketing) that is quite shit(in manual mode, standard drive it does pretty good). It has a standard torque converter auto. Definitely not a DSG or CVT we're talking a 7-11 year old car.

No it is not a "tiptronic", that's an Audi marketing word. It is a standard 5 speed automatic with manual select mode (sport shift in Subaru marketing) that is quite shit(in manual mode, standard drive it does pretty good). It has a standard torque converter auto. Definitely not a DSG or CVT we're talking a 7-11 year old car.

Okay, I'm going to get moderately defensive of the autos for a bit. :)

What makes it sh*t? My 5EAT lasted almost a quarter million miles which is fairly common, held stage 2 power, and saw a lot of autocross. The manual mode isn't DSG/PDK quick, but it's holds gear and does what you tell it to. With a Transgo kit it'll hold power well into the stage 3+ range, install center diff bushings and you can launch it. So... not sure where your justification comes from. We all know that 5MT's like to shatter gears at 350whp, a modded 5EAT can surpass that. Would I use a 5EAT for track duty or drag racing? Would I use if for a 500hp build? No, hell no! But... it's better than most of the era. At stock power levels it's damn near bulletproof.

To OP: Gex is correct, this is a standard run of the mill torque converted, clutch and plate automatic. Nearly identical to the Jatco RER505, but with a transfer case/diff on the back and a diff on the front.

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

All the ProStock drag cars run automatics. With an automatic, you are never out of boost and you never miss a shift. With correct work done to the Subaru 5EAT, it is a fine transmission and will run many, many thousands of miles.

It manual shifts just fine using either the stick or the steering wheel paddle buttons. I beat the hell out of many other MT cars because it shifts well and consistently and I'm at 292awhp/316awtq with absolutely no failure whatsoever.

There is not one thing wrong with an automatic transmission in a performance car. The Dodge Hellcat comes with an automatic and it's only a mere 707 hp.

There is not one thing wrong with an automatic transmission in a performance car. The Dodge Hellcat comes with an automatic and it's only a mere 707 hp.

Well that's not exactly true. The only thing wrong with an automatic is when it's the only choice. Manual's are fun for some people (me) for those a manual is a better choice in a performance / fun car.

Not speaking of Motorsports at all, just fun driving.

This site never fails to give me bad ideas. Centre-diff bushings for safe launching, I'm in. I would'nt have the guts to properly commit and launch my car at 240 whp with the stock stuff.

It has it's obvious cons compared to an MT but I've noticed it's frowned upon by many LGT'ers. The attitude towards auto brings with it a lot of false statements about the 5EAT in particular.

Well that's not exactly true. The only thing wrong with an automatic is when it's the only choice. Manual's are fun for some people (me) for those a manual is a better choice in a performance / fun car.

Not speaking of Motorsports at all, just fun driving.

Manuals are "FUN" but not necessarily any better. I have a 6MT in my Mustang and I like it fine, but it's a pain in the ass in city traffic and holding my foot on the clutch at long stop lights gets old pretty quickly.

The term "slushbox" was in reference to the old GM Powerglides (slip and slide with Powerglide) but over the years, automatic transmissions have come to the point of being able to handle 1000 hp Pro Stock cars and many bracket cars.

I don't point fingers at anyone with a MT-it's their choice but I sure as hell am sick of MT owners pointing their fingers at the 5EAT cars/owners and saying they are inferior. Not true in any sense of the word.

Okay, I'm going to get moderately defensive of the autos for a bit.

My 5MT runs 360 wheel mustang just fine with a few auto x and track days. Your 5eat got destroyed at around 240whp. Give me a break. On this forum I have seen more munched 5EATs in the last 5 years than 5MTs. They are also less likely to be modded.

I don't mind the 5EAT at all. I only spoke ill over the manual mode. All the ones I've driven are in no way responsive in "sport shift". You just spun a mountain out of a mole hill.

I don't point fingers at anyone with a MT-it's their choice but I sure as hell am sick of MT owners pointing their fingers at the 5EAT cars/owners and saying they are inferior. Not true in any sense of the word.

Can we agree though, that CVT's (especially subaru's CVT) are in fact inferior, and ruin a performance car?

I had a mildly worked-over automatic in my accord for a while (basically just some DIY modifications for increased line pressure and to make it kickdown sooner, along with better/grabbier fluid cocktail). It was decently fun, shifted insanely fast, and cooperated in spirited driving, but that car was absolutely transformed when I swapped in a 5MT.

Personally, I care more about driving engagement more than the car's actual performance. Whenever I'm driving an automatic car, I'm either bored, or feeling like there's something else I should be doing.

I have a lot more issue in the fact that when a car I like is offered with a manual, it's only on the lowest trim levels and least powerful engines.

olive-branch-ms-solar-panel-installers.jpg

They're just fine.

This is what happens when you trash autotragics whilst 5EAT owners are in the midst of a mood swing of menopausal proportions.

:hide:

(In all seriousness: I didn't mean to start a war, just provide some clarification. But it's the Internet so go figure)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

Its rather good for an automatic , go drive any 1990s Japanese automatic and then tell me the 5AT sucks.

I think it gets a bad reputation from owners who don't do fluid changes and beat the piss out of it without a cooler / supporting mods.

My 5MT runs 360 wheel mustang just fine with a few auto x and track days. Your 5eat got destroyed at around 240whp. Give me a break. On this forum I have seen more munched 5EATs in the last 5 years than 5MTs. They are also less likely to be modded.

I don't mind the 5EAT at all. I only spoke ill over the manual mode. All the ones I've driven are in no way responsive in "sport shift". You just spun a mountain out of a mole hill.

You don't read very well. I'm at 292/316. My car has been tracked numerous times and manually shifted for about half of those days and has never missed a single beat. I'm also on 245's, so I'm not spinning narrow tires-the car simply goes.

The 5EAT with a valve body and correct fluid/maintenance will easily handle 350awhp and there is no worries about needing blast plates or throwout bearing noise. No issues starting and stopping in traffic, or whether you are on a hill or not. Less apt to get stuck in the snow and you are NEVER out of boost if you are WOT.

You can attempt to backpedal but there is nothing wrong at all with the 5EAT other than the misrepresentation by people that apparently don't know much about transmissions and drivetrains. Ask EXEDY about how the 5EAT is constructed and how reliable it is. That's why they make kits for them-because the platform is robust and designed well.

You LIKE your 5MT and that's your right. I LIKE my 5EAT (and I don't mind MT as in my Mustang either) and if you drove one that was set up correctly, you would change your mind.

You don't read very well. I'm at 292/316. My car has been tracked numerous times and manually shifted for about half of those days and has never missed a single beat. I'm also on 245's, so I'm not spinning narrow tires-the car simply goes.

Did I quote you in my original response? No... not sure what your on about here.

The 5EAT with a valve body and correct fluid/maintenance will easily handle 350awhp and there is no worries about needing blast plates or throwout bearing noise. No issues starting and stopping in traffic, or whether you are on a hill or not. Less apt to get stuck in the snow and you are NEVER out of boost if you are WOT.

There are maybe 5-6 5EATs putting down 350whp+ all with the expensive and complicated valve body. There are hundreds if not several thousands of 5mt 07+wrx and Lgts running 350whp with no more then a heavy duty clutch. I've never had issues around town and I live in Seattle with awful traffic and big asss hills.

You can attempt to backpedal but there is nothing wrong at all with the 5EAT other than the misrepresentation by people that apparently don't know much about transmissions and drivetrains. Ask EXEDY about how the 5EAT is constructed and how reliable it is. That's why they make kits for them-because the platform is robust and designed well.

I never said it was a bad transmissions. It is fine for what it is. The sport shift isn't very responsive in every one I've driven. I've driven 3 5EAT cars 1 vf40, 1 vf52, and one with an 18g and a hexmods valve body. None were exactly engaging. The 18g car had pretty good get up and go and shifted fine. So I have driven them, stock and modded. None were bad. Just not my bag.

Manual cars command a premium because they are more engaging and enthusiast oriented. The 5EAT just isn't. That is a fact.

Mine>yours

Yours>mine

Please....

We're just saying the manual sport shift isn't "shit". It downshifts quicker/smoother too.

The rev-matching downshift is such an underrated feature of this tranny. Instant down-shifts are just the bees knees.

The rev-matching downshift is such an underrated feature of this tranny. Instant down-shifts are just the bees knees.

The bomb diggity, indeed.

Guess this is a good place to call you out for not answering my pm last week. I'm having a hard time coping with this autotragic menopausal moodswing : )

Whos 5eat got destroyed at 240? I'm starting to wonder if it took place figuritively in a race that never happened.

I'll just leave these here...

31230671331_9e631a93c4_b.jpg

30538020433_a770b080f9_b.jpg

30538020343_5edc50cd48_b.jpg

Whos 5eat got destroyed at 240? I'm starting to wonder if it took place figuritively in a race that never happened.

From Mr. Wrench himself. This happens plenty to both transmissions at above stock power combined with hard driving. Those that have been around have seen their fair share of both 5EAT and 5MT destruction. They both have their ups and downs. Do what makes you happy.

Fair enough, that's a full blown race car though. Us tuner noobs that make up for 90% of members on this site should'nt be too worried over a few scary pics.

Full blown race car? I'd hardly consider stage 2 VF52 to be a full blown race car.

My 5eat takes 350whp/ 338wtq all day everyday 19psi at a tick over 3k, ClimberD valvebody, stand alone cooler with thermostat (no factory cooler) Good clean fluid

128,xxx mi and counting 5eat has been 300whp + for over 4 years

From Mr. Wrench himself. This happens plenty to both transmissions at above stock power combined with hard driving. Those that have been around have seen their fair share of both 5EAT and 5MT destruction. They both have their ups and downs. Do what makes you happy.

Didn't Mr Wrrench say this STG2 5EAT had 250K on it! I'm not as knowledgeable as you guys but that sounds decent:)

Full blown race car? I'd hardly consider stage 2 VF52 to be a full blown race car.

Well if you look at his photo the red wagon appears to be taking a corner pretty fast and autocross is'nt easy on the tranny. I'm referring to the manner it has been driven in. Is that a tough one?

The 360 whp low reading mustang crazy sexiness is by all means a proper race car pal :rolleyes:

Archived