LegacyGT.com

Turbo suicide and replacement question

Long time lurker, need some help. So the inevitable happened, turbo blew along with the oil control valve. I know this topic has been beaten to death here but there's still no real answer on why it happened. :confused:

Banjo filter was clean, oil done regularly. Not sure if oil control valve was the cause of the death of my turbo, either way, new turbo going in this week and everything else fixed.

If anyone has any input on why this happened, I would be really appreciate it. If i knew the actual cause. I would like to fix it permanently, otherwise i will sell the car i just simply dont trust it to not fail agian. :spin:

Also, does anyone have a link to the order of the crush washers that go on the coolant and oil lines for the turbo? that would be a great help. Thanks in advance

Any idea what sort of oil pressure you have during normal run conditions? I'd drop the oil pan and look at the pickup, they've been known to fail but they also generally take out the bottom end when they do. What about the oil lines to the turbo? Were they replaced?

If its your second turbo in two years there is a problem. Turbos just don't die randomly as much as the hive mind would like to tell you there is a cause and effect for all parts failures.

Could be

- Poor oil change intervals

- Poor oil quality

- Low oil levels

- Clogged banjo bolt filters

Any idea what sort of oil pressure you have during normal run conditions? I'd drop the oil pan and look at the pickup, they've been known to fail but they also generally take out the bottom end when they do. What about the oil lines to the turbo? Were they replaced?

Didn't check the oil pressure, but the lines were replaced. I'm replacing all of crush washers, any idea where I can find a diagram or something for the order they go on?

If its your second turbo in two years there is a problem. Turbos just don't die randomly as much as the hive mind would like to tell you there is a cause and effect for all parts failures.

Could be

- Poor oil change intervals

- Poor oil quality

- Low oil levels

- Clogged banjo bolt filters

I want to believe! But you your points, 3k intervals, mobil1 syn oil, always checked level and took out one of the filters it wasn't that clogged... I need to inspect the conviniently placed filter behind the drivers side cam cover :rolleyes:

If you decide to keep the car for a long time, you should seriously invest in the btssm app. You will be able to view live a bunch of parameters including the VVT L/R angles. These two variables are directly related to the oil control valves. They should always be in sync. If not, you know something is wrong with either one of them or the oil flow. I view them at all times when I drive, cause I know if one of them fails, the turbo could be next.

I want to believe! But you your points, 3k intervals, mobil1 syn oil, always checked level and took out one of the filters it wasn't that clogged... I need to inspect the conviniently placed filter behind the drivers side cam cover :rolleyes:

There's the first issue, Mobil 1, please tell us your not using 5w-30 Mobil 1.

The vf40 is a replaceable turbo. Most of us upgrade to a vf52. Mine with over 92,000 miles has zero shaft play. I use Amsoil European 5w-40 Classic full SAPS with 7000 mile oil changes, using their filters.

There are very few oils we recommend, Mobil 1 is on the top of the do not use list.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Good luck! I'm at 131k and not looking forward to replacing the whole engine at 200k when it blows up as the long time owners seem to report on here. It sucks to have something like that happen on such an expensive and capable vehicle.

That being said, I'm knowingly planning to push it to stage 3-3.5 so obviously I'm not THAT broken up about the longevity. :lol:

I agree though that even though turbos do eventually fail, they should last much longer than 12k miles. If you get another turbo, get a blown one and have it rebuilt by mike at tuning alliance. It'll be MUCH more trustworthy.

Turbos only fail due to something the owner did. In this case, the Mobil 1 coupled with not removing the banjo filter is basically a kiss of death. There is nothing inherently wrong with the VF40 that regular maintenance, good oil and filters, and NO banjo filter can't fix. I see them all the time with bad journal bearings and I can tell by how the turbo smells that the owner was using Mobil 1.

I fix the oiling issues when I build them but even then, no maintenance equals POOF.

Maintenance has been on point every 3k for oil and trans and diff fluids... has a receipt for every single service, it's 2 inch thick folder... previous owner was old and ocd, I thought I got a freaking jewel.. timing belt and pump receipts, gaskets, clutch, new tires, etc... I mean clean... so that was 800 miles ago... oil was clean and topped off, smelled a bit like coolant everytime you rip a lil... lower turbo coolant hose..rly? And that's it

sooo, does anyone know the order of the crush washers that go on the lines on the turbo?..

Seriously? they are crush washers its not rocket science. One on either side of each banjo fitting.

Now your turbo failure issue is not difficult and has been covered on this site and linked to the information you need. If when your first turbo went there was bearing material still in oil passages, the pan, where ever it was only a matter of time before it took out the next turbo. And further on its only a matter of time till all these turbos take out your entire engine.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

Any auto parts store will have a selection of crush washers, or the dealer will have them too.

Yea, I'll have to agree with JmP, HAMMERDOWN has 300,000 miles on his vf40. But he also has a killer oil system.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived