LegacyGT.com

Low beam died

I was able to change the bulb with the fire off. My issue is that the light shines to the left from the drivers seat. Do I need to go in and straighten the bulb? This would be difficult given you can't see what you're doing. Is there a screw adjustment to align the beam?

You did not seat the new bulb properly. I have done this. You need to go in and turn the bulb until it is seated properly in the housing. I won't lie, it is tricky and must be done by feel. You may be able to look at it with a flashlight afterwards to get a visual confirmation, but that can't be done with your hand in there too.

• 1 year later...

Only a year gone by since the last post . . . and it's still definitely a PITA little job. Had to replace the passenger side low beam today, and by the time I got that side done I didn't have the energy or the inclination to do the other side. Hope it lasts 8 years like the original bulb did. I'll worry about any color temperature differences if/when it bothers me.

Clocking the bulb was easier than getting the big plastic cover seated properly so it could be locked in place.

It helps if you also loosen the air box so you can move the inlet duct a little.

Going for a brief test drive.

Norm

You can pop the push tabs at the bottom side of the bumpers, in the wheel well. Then the bumper can be pulled outward at the edge towards the wheels. This then give you a lot of space to work with compared to pulling and pushing the wheel well cover. You can see the area i circled. The bottom circle where the push tabs are at and top circle has 1-2 more push tabs and you pull from that wedge. the wedge has a pop-in mechanism so you'll just need to pry it out.

I have HID H7 on mine and it worked great for awhile if you are not able to retrofit. The beams throw far and clear but not like how HID does. You definitely need a relay harness for HID since factory plugs might not be adequate.

To do a retrofit, you can get a pair of black Maxima (2008 and up maybe?) HID projectors on ebay or cheap. I went that route and am very satisfied with the output.

I dibbed my hands in LED and was not satisfied with the output it gives, even compared to plug-n-play

1005481058.jpg.d23df3d06cb4d24884f2d57294f8ec35.jpg

They don't have to, they run LED projectors in the Gen6 onwards (wait what, they still offer halogen? Shame Subaru, shame!).

These are the OE black series projectors (not the mounting points). Should bolt into halogen with minimal mods.

http://i58.tinypic.com/2exx2kx.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/2qi908i.jpg

With all the LED rising these days, I would still vote for a solid HiD setup. Ive seen newer cars with LED in both projectors and honda style headlight but the output is still to be desired compared to a rx350 bi xenon or fxr. Light output, distribution, throw, and color flicker favor HID. Even plug n play HID in projector will likely blow any plug n play LED.

Maybe the new LED projectors from trs can prove me wrong lol

Best LED projector is still Koito. I wouldn't bother with the aftermarket one, just a blob of hot spot.

Any PnPer will think their light is great, until they sit in a car with RX350, SC430 or S2000 projectors.

I should hurry up and use my S2000 projectors in something.

Archived