LegacyGT.com

Suspension question

So I've read the suspension faq a few times and I'm wondering has anyone ever bought kyb oems and and used them with forester springs? I really want to get a couple more inches so I can get some all terrains for the dirt but I don't want to buy struts I just bought some within the year.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

So I've read the suspension faq a few times and I'm wondering has anyone ever bought kyb oems and and used them with forester springs? I really want to get a couple more inches so I can get some all terrains for the dirt but I don't want to buy struts I just bought some within the year.

When you say OEM KYB struts are you referring to Legacy L, Outback, or Forester? They all have different part numbers but they are all within 1/2" of each other in length so you don't lose any height there. Get a set of used Outback springs or these - http://get-primitive.com/springs/135-king-raised-springs-1995-1999-outback.html for a badass setup.

I've made spacers using a high density plastic cutting board before, its really easy, just use the strut mount as a template and cut it out with a jigsaw.. Voila. It cost way less than buying them :cool:

When you say OEM KYB struts are you referring to Legacy L, Outback, or Forester? They all have different part numbers but they are all within 1/2" of each other in length so you don't lose any height there. Get a set of used Outback springs or these - http://get-primitive.com/springs/135-king-raised-springs-1995-1999-outback.html for a badass setup.

I've made spacers using a high density plastic cutting board before, its really easy, just use the strut mount as a template and cut it out with a jigsaw.. Voila. It cost way less than buying them :cool:

I beg to differ on the strut length, well assuming I know what the PO put on my car, the struts on the rear of my car were I THINK from a legacy and the Outback struts I replaced it with were nearly 2in longer, and by longer I mean the body of the strut was clearly longer and from that, I gained about 1.5 in of rear ground clearance.

Thanks for the info I'm gonna have to think about my options now.

If you're wanting to lift it right, I would check out SubieLiftOZ. They quoted me $490 shipped from Australia for 4.5 inch lift kit. It comes with the following things:

- Front & Rear 4.5" strut spacers

- Rear trailing arm spacers

- Lower control arm spacers

- Engine, transmission, & differential spacers

- Differential outrigger spacers

- Center bearing spacers

- Extended steering knuckle

- Top Radiator hose extension

- Replacement fuel and charcoal canister hoses

- Handbrake cable extensions

- Air Box spacer

- Rear camber bolts.

I think for $490 for that whole kit is definitely worth it.

I beg to differ on the strut length, well assuming I know what the PO put on my car, the struts on the rear of my car were I THINK from a legacy and the Outback struts I replaced it with were nearly 2in longer, and by longer I mean the body of the strut was clearly longer and from that, I gained about 1.5 in of rear ground clearance.

That's good to know I'm trying not to dump a lot of money into this so if I can squeeze out more height with the right combo then that would be great

don't forget about the height of the 'spring perch' on the stock/kyb struts. You might fit taller springs, but taller tires may not fit under the perches.

- this is for the '98 L in your Sig/Avatar.

Td

Yeah this is going to be for that L wagon,though it looks different now. And your right about that perch thing I don't know why I didn't remember that I'm gonna have to take measurements of something.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived