LegacyGT.com

Header Design Theory & Turbo EJ Headers

covertrussian

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Flinky has two JDM headers. I think he's following this thread.

i should have been. haven't read any of what's posted yet, but i'll catch up in a second.

y'all should keep me up to date with what threads i should be a part of. i hardly ever venture into the forum to look for them.

and give me a sec on the diameters...

EDIT:

Tomei has info about the stock JDM STI headers in reference to their designs. They have a "regular" header/up and a "high power" header/up. interesting that the regular has a smaller primary diameter than stock, and the high power has larger secondary diameter than stock.

Tomei Regular

Tomei High Power

I guess i don't have the diameter photo's on photobucket, but i'm posting them up right now.

They're aweful, almost unusable, but here are the primary/secondary tape measure pics i have available at the moment. can measure the real headers with a caliper at home tonight.

Primary pic

Secondary pic

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

i should have been. haven't read any of what's posted yet, but i'll catch up in a second.

y'all should keep me up to date with what threads i should be a part of. i hardly ever venture into the forum to look for them.

and give me a sec on the diameters...

Only the last 2 posts matter in this case, I'm toying with the idea of switching to JDM headers and rewelding them if they are smaller diameter basically. I don't make enough boost for the big tube Tomei's.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

I think those numbers are a little wrong, even though stock is said to have 42mm primary, from pictures it seems to neck down.

The biggest issue with my Tomei is actually the up pipe area, it goes from 42mm to 57.5mm then necks down to 52.2mm pretty abruptly.

Thus I technically could get away with a smaller 3 bolt up pipe. But if JDM headers are smaller then 38mm on primary I think it would do better for my low 13psi.

22 Ascent STOCK

I think those numbers are a little wrong, even though stock is said to have 42mm primary, from pictures it seems to neck down.

The biggest issue with my Tomei is actually the up pipe area, it goes from 42mm to 57.5mm then necks down to 52.2mm pretty abruptly.

Thus I technically could get away with a smaller 3 bolt up pipe. But if JDM headers are smaller then 38mm on primary I think it would do better for my low 13psi.

there is also an OEM JDM Legacy header with even smaller primaries than the OEM JDM STI headers i've got. Underdog started with the JDM Legacy twinscroll system.

I'll measure the true primary and secondary diameters tonight on all tubes of both headers for maximum exactness. I'll also look real quick for the internet's version of TS Legacy pipe diameters...

EDIT:

Unclemat and Underdog to the rescue (for OEM JDM Legacy TS diameters...):

Unclemat's memory...

Underdog Caliper Measurements

lol, just noticed your "thanks" on the second post from Underdog.

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

Yup I failed at that one, it's been so long I completely forgot about Underdog's awesome post, don't worry about measuring your header, I think I got all the information that I need. I'm asking the guy who's selling the header to measure it for me, so now I'll know if it's a JDM Legacy or STI one.

Long story short, I might go the JDM EL header route, especially if they are 32mm. I'm simply not pushing enough power for it to matter, but I still want the lower EGT's. Plus I haven't seen any gas mileage improvements thus far....

22 Ascent STOCK

@ what boost would you think the Tomei makes sense?

I think this will depend on a few variables including the turbo size. Probably over 15psi though. I had pretty decent power gains, but I think that was due to mixing leaning way out (12's). Now that I have fuel back at 11:1 I'm not seeing as good of gains, but this is all with AVCS at 10*.

I'm starting to play with higher AVCS numbers down low, so I'm hoping that's were this header will shine.

Also I don't think the header oversized itself for say, I think the up pipe is the one that's just way too big.

22 Ascent STOCK

• 3 weeks later...

New to the thread, but glad I stumbled across it. I was going to address each time our product was mentioned, but then realized that would make for a l-o-n-g response and maybe some of it has already been addressed?

I'm here now if anyone would like to ask questions regarding our products or design in general. A lot of the information on the first post is a good primer, although not necessarily ideal for the turbo EJ engine design. Same as findings from some manufacturers; for their products yes, but that should not be a generalization for all.

More often than not I see people shopping for headers based on tube size and it more often than not results in a used header for sale down the road. It coincides with our top question asked about our headers, "how big are your tubes?"

Anyway, if there's anyway I can contribute, I'd be more than happy to :)

New to the thread, but glad I stumbled across it. I was going to address each time our product was mentioned, but then realized that would make for a l-o-n-g response and maybe some of it has already been addressed?

I'm here now if anyone would like to ask questions regarding our products or design in general. A lot of the information on the first post is a good primer, although not necessarily ideal for the turbo EJ engine design. Same as findings from some manufacturers; for their products yes, but that should not be a generalization for all.

More often than not I see people shopping for headers based on tube size and it more often than not results in a used header for sale down the road. It coincides with our top question asked about our headers, "how big are your tubes?"

Anyway, if there's anyway I can contribute, I'd be more than happy to :)

I own your header and have been running it for ~18 months and 6k miles. Overall I am extremely happy with it. The only thing that needed tweaked for my install ('09 LGT) is the factory o2 sensor wires are too short to reach the location of the killer b bung. And there is no dedicated spot to attach a grounding strap (I have one on the nut for the v-band clamp)

neither of these were difficult to overcome, but they did prolong the install (soldering extra wire into the o2 and protecting all of it from heat.)

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

I own your header and have been running it for ~18 months and 6k miles. Overall I am extremely happy with it. The only thing that needed tweaked for my install ('09 LGT) is the factory o2 sensor wires are too short to reach the location of the killer b bung. And there is no dedicated spot to attach a grounding strap (I have one on the nut for the v-band clamp)

neither of these were difficult to overcome, but they did prolong the install (soldering extra wire into the o2 and protecting all of it from heat.)

Usually, you can remove a retaining clip and it will free up enough wire slack to make the install. Although, I'm not as versed with the LGT so it may be different.

The placement of the O2 on the inside of the bend is providing a performance benefit vs where most put it, on the outside of the bend.

I had killerB headers on my car with the O2 sensor plugged in without adding wire. I do think I skipped the retaining clip and it was a bit tight, but it did fit.

You might have, or might not have needed to change it at all. I've found some models, even the same model gen across years, can have different factory wire routing strategies for that O2. Why, I have no idea :spin:

Archived