LegacyGT.com

McIntosh head unit to after market

flippymcbean

Good Morning all,

I have a question. I currently own a Legacy wagon, and it has the McIntosh system. I've been trying to find some info on how easy it is to install an aftermarket unit. I've read somewhere that the unit itself is integrated to the HVAC system, but i've it isnt. I dont know how true that is. Also, I dont know if the UK cars are different than the Japanese ones. I've found some info, but not enough to fully answer my questions. Alot of dead links and alot of broken pictures, so its hard to refer back to my pictures. haha. I like the sub, and amp set up. I just want a new headunit to listen to my music. Japanese radio is kind of hard to understand at times.

The only reason, why I want to change it out is simply to update it. There are no auxillary inputs, and obviously no bluetooth capabilties. I've read that these are good radios, but i guess back in 2003 it was top notch.

My questions are:

Is it possible with minimal harness manufacturing(homemade)?

Do they sell pre-made harness?

Is there an aux input hidden behind the unit? silly question, but as far as i've seen, I havent seen it.

Thank you all for your help.

For some years there is an option AUX input but pretty sure it was only on the facelift ones. They had a AUX button. There are kits like grom that give AUX/Bluetooth capabilities to these stereo's but require most functions to still be completed on the connected phone.

The HVAC is slightly seperate on the the prefacelift vehicles so you just to find an upper opening that comes with the brackets to support the new HU as some of the cheaper ones on ebay do not include those brackets.

There aren't any purchasable harnesses out there, but it can be done by splicing into the HU->amp cable. There's a good writeup on a local forum for doing it. Your HU should be identical to his one too which will help.

http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php?/topic/47859-guitar_guys-2004-legacy-mcintosh-stereo-hack-pic-heavy/

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness

Sir Andy_Mac,

It says I don't have permission to view that website. I don't understand why....

I have a 2003 Legacy. What facelift do you speak of? As far as I know this was the first year for the BP wagons to be sold here in the Japanese market.

Unfortunately, I'm deploying here real soon. When I come back I'm going to rip it apart. All I need to get is a double din kit for the car and to my understanding only Subaru has double din set up. I'll still keep researching. Thanks you sir!

Think you'll need to signup to view that thread. Works fine for me when signed in. Well worth it if you're serious about keeping everything but the HU stock.

Yea so the 2003 is the prefacelift. In theory you only need the half that the HU sits in which other brands do make but quality can be sketchy and they don't all include the mounting brackets.

Or the alternative is to get a genuine one from japanparts.com which costs alot more but replaces the HVAC controls and includes everything you'll need.

Just need to select the correct one in the option menu

https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/14777

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness

• 1 month later...

@flippymcbean- can you post a picture of your factory radio and the surrounding part of your dash?

I didn't think that any 2003 models (even JDM) had the automatic HVAC controls integrated with the radio. Here in North America, that is the case on some 2005-2009 models, and none of those here have McIntosh.

Archived