LegacyGT.com

Aux stereo input, just do it like this!

Diavolo

Well, do it like this if you want to be cool like me. ;)

Results look OEM, with the exception of a little on / off switch.

Sound quality is awesome!!!

Shouldn't take more than a couple hours to install.

Parts: Less than $100.

If anyone in the San Francisco Bay Area wants this, and needs install help hit me up.

Get the parts and come over to my garage in the 925 and I'll install it.

Not gonna go step by step with a write up but heres some basics..

Remove your stereo and install the FM modulator.

Theres a metal bar behind the stereo you can zip tie it to.

Run power wires over to the fuse box, and use the fuse tap to power it.

Take the audio cables and go under the shifter and center console.

With your center console removed, take the power plug out.

Bore the hole a little bigger (i used a uni-bit) so the USB / RCA / 3.5 mm plug thing fits in the hole. plug your USB phone charger into the old power plug, plug in the new USB wire, tape it up and shove it into a hole behind where the parking brake is. Theres perfect space there, but you'll need to extend the old plug wires. Zip tie the remaining wires up nice.

Go back to your car and use the female to female RCA adapters to attach the new RCA wires in your center console to the RCA's coming out from the FM modulator.

Drill a 1/4 hole and install the switch from the modulator where ever you want. I put it behind the parking brake near the lid for the center console

If you did it right you should be able to flip the little switch and your FM modulator will turn on and hijack your antenna input and your Aux will be on. Your radio will need to be on the right frequency for the Aux signal. I set all my presets on FM2 to that frequency. So i just hit FM2 and flip the switch and tada!!!! ...also the USB works to charge my phone too.

Audiovox FM100A FM Modulator with IST2 Isolation Transformer

$40.00

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001KO7UI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 Meter 3ft USB and 2RCA to USB & 3.5mm

$12.00

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F1W9CHS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Metra 40-SB30 Antenna Adapter for Subaru FM Modulator

$14.00

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000K53QBA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mini Blade Fuse Add-A-Circuit Fuse Holder

$6.00

https://www.amazon.com/Pico-0956PT-Blade-Circuit-Holder/dp/B001QRSBW0/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1479697397&sr=8-5&keywords=fuse+tap

a USB phone charger thingy, which you probably already have if you charge your phone in the car.

$8 approx

2 RCA female to female adapters

$5

20161120_181443_1479696457114_resized_resized.JPG.11486590c54ace0fb177ce2827eb080e.JPG

cables.jpg.e0b0cc37dd3b7e2e5bad7fb67ae150d8.jpg

1588627172_fmmodulator.jpg.d3da72c923b1754488c49915b27b8985.jpg

1490757926_fusetap.jpg.abf30ed62bbedd68c511f32c5c5def03.jpg

1372725335_phonecharger_resized.JPG.11cb8d0e8245df5ad2804a5b7068dba2.JPG

1532403082_antennathing.jpg.11d0fce46f1c3c1af9d64a4669305468.jpg

1508391619_rcaadapter.jpg.e3b5bd286d315f1800fb6a0095637ed2.jpg

Edited by Diavolo

• 9 months later...

How's the setup holding up so far. I am contemplating trying to do this...though I am no audio expert. I did the Jazzy Aux in on my old LGT and that worked out just fine. This looks like it may be more involved.

Any words of wisdom before I decide which route to go on my new to me OBXT?

I'd guess it's no more complicated than Jazzy. That one was a little involved as you had to crack the radio open and remove the cd player, etc.

This is a bit of a headscratcher since there's no walk through, so being an electronic n00b, I'm not really sure how complicated it will get. To me, the main area things could get messy is hooking up the FM modulator. I think after a couple youtube videos I'd feel much more comfortable. As long as it doesn't get any more involved than clipping out/in various rainbow cables, I'm confident I could handle it.

Any input from members or OP would be greatly appreciated.

This set up still works great!

It's easy.

You don't have to install it like I did. You could just hijack the antenna input run power and then leave the auxiliary plug hanging out from under the center console.

I just went the extra steps to make it look factory

Trying to buy the Jazzy AUX but not getting any replies. This sounds interesting but complicated

How long have you been trying to get ahold of him?

I just ordered a board from jazzy earlier tonight. If I don't receive anything, at least paypal will refund me (they've done it before).

Diavolo, good job with this, thanks for sharing. I'm curious about sound quality. My assumption was that tapping into the antenna input will only ever provide FM quality audio. When you said that it sounds awesome, did you mean that it was better than FM radio quality? Or just that it was better than those FM transmitters? I've used an FM transmitter in the past and was disappointed with sound quality at the time.

If the Jazzy input doesn't get shipped, I may start looking at FM modulators too. The one you chose seems to get good reviews. Fallback option is a JDM panel.

• 2 years later...

Hi Everyone,

I sold my car two years ago so haven't been around here. Sorry to leave you hanging.

I got an email about another thread I was still subscribed to so I came back to answer that and saw I had a PM about this.

I had to refresh my memory on what the Jazzy mod was.

No disrespect to Jazzy, but having to take apart the factory radio and play a silent CD all the time seems overly complicated and incomplete. Especially if you're just left with a couple of RCA plugs hanging out the back somewhere. Even Jazzy instructions have "recommended additional parts" that you'd need, unless your audio device has RCA stereo out.

I think my version is more complete, no risk to the headunit, and looks pretty much factory except 1 little hidden switch. Plus you get a cool jack in a convenient spot to plug a USB charging cable in, next to the typical 3.5mm aux audio cable.

You don't have to do it like that, but its pretty simple and looks very nice.

The sound is as good as you're going to get from your audio source because its hard wired into the factory head unit just like the Jazzy version. Except unlike the Jazzy version, mine does not have two audio sources competing putting signal in at the same time. I don't know if a silent CD could truly be silent? The CD player is playing simultaneously with the Jazzy. Mine doesn't need a silent CD playing. My set up is going to sound as good as the Jazzy mod or better.

My version is not a FM transmitter, and its not limited to FM quality radio, it doesn't rely on any signal from the antenna.

The cool thing about the Jazzy version is its powered internally by the headunit.

However, in my opinion the silent CD is lame, and if you have a 6 disc in dash that the springs eventually sag on, or your CD gets lost or damaged or the laser burns out from constant use or some other failure you're screwed.

My way is self reliant and more dependable. You dont even have to have any radio signal or radio antenna for it to work and definitely no silent CD. Unlike the Jazzy you have to supply a power source for the Modulator, but thats easy. It also needs a little switch if you want to turn it off to allow FM radio signal from the antenna through.

Whichever way you decide, its about the same amount of difficulty and you have to take apart the same parts of your car. Except my way you dont have to take apart the head unit too. My way is more simple plug and play.

The extra stuff like turning the cigarette lighter plug in the center console into a USB and Aux in is optional. You could do that part with the Jazzy too. Both the FM modulator or jazzy board just gives you RCA plugs hardwired into the back of the head unit, what you do with them after that is up to you.

Another cool thing is theres even better modulators out now, and you can get ones that have bluetooth. Technology is better and cost less than what I spent 4 years ago.

Its a universal part and widely available whereas in the future Jazzy might not be available.

:)

Edited by Diavolo

• 2 months later...

i sketched up a diagram for someone, i thought it might be good to put it here too.

this is from memory of something i did in a couple hours 4 years ago so apologies if its not exactly accurate but should get you there!

as mentioned I havent owned a subaru for a few years now so i dont have an actual vehicle anymore for reference either

subaruaux.JPG.cc7d0df1897c70ead932b56dcb915328.JPG

Edited by Diavolo