LegacyGT.com

legacy GT EJ25 engine build questions/advice

I recently have had a situation where according to the mechanic that during his testing process that the wastegate that he isntalled has failed which has then apparently caused overboosting which now is becoming a engine re-build as well.

Atm I am currently looking at doing a "long engine dressed repair" which consists of hardened crank shaft, connecting rods, pistons, engine bearings, oil pump, oil sump pan, serviced head, Timing Belt/Chain and Idler bearing kit including Timing Belt tensioner, gaskets to install Inlet and Exhaust manifolds, seals, o-rings ect, only difference is I plan on using a set of forged pistions instead of oem ones.

I am also consideringo depending on costing a forged solution with Forged Crankshaft, Forged Connecting Rods and also Forged Pistons and rings. I just want to be able to have a motor thats reilable and strong enough to handle some power gains without it being a extreme build as this will still be a daily driven car.

Any advice or other suggestions on the repair will be much appreciated as this is going to be my 1st engine re-condition and considering the performance orientation of the car I want to get this correct 1st time around.

It has been my experience through reading that the factory short block is plenty strong for what the stock turbo can throw at it, unless you are planning to go for an all out engine/turbo upgrade the stock parts will last with a proper tune. Hopefully you will get some of our better experienced members to chime in, Fahr-side especially he has lots more experience here than most.

Good luck with the build, and sorry for your loss.

• 1 month later...
King bearings are popular...

I'll stick with ACL thanks. King have had problems in the last year or so.

If you're sticking with stock slugs, at the very least be sure the top rings are gapped properly. We've seen a lot of engines with scarily tight ring gaps which could be a cause of the ringland failures which are so common.

Definitely use ARP head studs. Putting the stock bolts back in is just asking for trouble.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I'll stick with ACL thanks. King have had problems in the last year or so.

If you're sticking with stock slugs, at the very least be sure the top rings are gapped properly. We've seen a lot of engines with scarily tight ring gaps which could be a cause of the ringland failures which are so common.

Definitely use ARP head studs. Putting the stock bolts back in is just asking for trouble.

Ended up going with Forged Cp pistons, apr 2000 head studs, race bearings and new sti rods. Not sure on brand of the bearings though.

They have the bigger 57cc chambers like the W25 heads they're based on.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Archived