LegacyGT.com

Tips on changing low beam bulbs

It seems to me changing the low beam bulbs is an adventure every time. So I just want to jot down some notes here for myself, and also for those who might benefit from it.

1. Loosen two clips (one on the side and one on the bottom) to open the fender liner.

2. Pull out the electrical plug BEFORE loosen the bulb spring.

3. To close the back cover, you have to line up the tabs and push down before turning.

It took me 45 minutes to do it. The most time consuming part is closing the back covers. They were in tight spots and it was hard to get it completely sealed up even with the tabs all line up correctly, then I found out that you have to push in first before turning. Hopefully next time it would be a lot quicker for me, so I can experience the Philips RacingVision which only has 200 hr life time. :spin:

Have you considered removing the front bumper? That's the route I went, and I had no concerns at all with this route. The bumper comes off, then the headlight housings. Then you can swap whatever bulbs you want without any interference from anything, and then just screw/clip everything back in. It was a pretty easy and straightforward process.

I had one go out. Bought some LED bulbs. Turned out they sucked. Had to replace them with some brighter/whiter Sylvania. 2nd time was a breeze. Arm looked like I was attacked by a lion. 2/10 wouldn't change again.

Also, you might be covered to have Subaru do it. I got a letter in the mail a few weeks ago.

Honey? Can you come here for a minute?

my wife has small arms and hands so I guess that's her new job, change headlights

j/k

1. jack car up via center jack point, support with hack stands

2. remove wheel

3. remove fender liner fasteners and pull back liner

4. change bulb

5. verify it works

6. put liner back replace fasteners

7. replace wheel

8. repeat steps 2-7 for other side

9. lower car and torque lugs

10. Profit

Have you considered removing the front bumper? That's the route I went, and I had no concerns at all with this route. The bumper comes off, then the headlight housings. Then you can swap whatever bulbs you want without any interference from anything, and then just screw/clip everything back in. It was a pretty easy and straightforward process.

I knew this for years but never had the guts to do it, just afraid that I might pull with more force than necessary and break a tab or anything.

My Speed6 was the same way, WTF to people in Japan do, just crawl in there? I'd hate to have my Legacy do what my WRX did, both bulbs eat poop within a half hour of each other at 5 am, in the dead of winter, in the rain on my way to work. At least I could swap those in the parking lot of the store and not have too jack up the radiator cap and drive a new car under with headlights that work.

Yeah after struggling for about 1hr on my car the first time round, pull the bumper off and then unbolt the headlight is a much quicker way. Like mentioned, getting the dust cap on is the hardest bit (I have OEM HID so getting the ignitor off/on was a close second).

Removing the front bumper sounds like a lot of work but honestly I've done it twice already. First time I did a bulb change I through the fenderwell with my father and it took us twice the time it did doing it by myself taking the front bumper off. Don't even need to jack up the car. Too each his own but going through the fenderwell is a complete nightmare in my opinion. I bet the dealership removes the front bumper when they replace customers bulbs.

I never remove the wheel I just turn the wheel in and go thru the fender liner (just enough room to get my hand/arm inside. I have already did it a few times adding HID kit and replacing HID bulb and I just did it again the other day to replace a bad ballast. The more time you do it the faster and easier it gets.

Archived