LegacyGT.com

DIY: Retuning the 2.5i

You're making it sound like open source is 3x the cost of Cobb, in reality it's the other way around. Tactrix cable is $170 software is free. So even if you give a $100 bounty to define your rom (for which I'm sure someone will jump on it). You're still coming out way ahead.

Don't give too much credit to Cobb's off the shelf maps, or ANY off the shelf maps. Since every car is different, off the shelf maps have to be generic enough to be safe for everyone's car, this means the tune will not be optimal for any one car. A $150 e-tune is better then an off the shelf map :lol:.

Don't over think it, always KISS (Keep it Simple Stupid).

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

come to think of it I have spent a lot more than that and gotten nothing back in the past...it doesnt make too much sense to agonize over it too much. And its the only way I am going to see whats under the hood so to speak and have a chance to play with it. I have seen some sources for the tactrix cable that were cheaper but the comments of the people that bought there were not good...is there a good recommended source for this item? And if that goes against the board's bylaws about plugging a certain vendor, I get it, but if so plz PM me with that info. Its like I told the guy building the engine for my 91 leggy, I only want to do this once. :) Of course, I am now doing it a 3rd time...just saying.:spin:

Buy an used Tactrix cable, don't buy a different brand. They can sometime be found on this forum, but if your more in a rush come up more often on Nasoic. I bought mine used for about what I sold it 4 years later. (I think it cost me shipping)

I have seen some sources for the tactrix cable that were cheaper but the comments of the people that bought there were not good...

That's because people don't know what they are talking about. Tactrix and Cobb AP's are just interfaces into your car, they are like computer keyboards. What you do with them, or how good your tune is after, is up to the end user's skillset. Tuning a car it self requires a whole different skillset, which most people don't have nor want to learn. Just because I gave you a keyboard, doesn't mean you can use a computer now, so those people are dissing OpenSource/Tactrix because of their own incompetence? :lol:

To better explain this better with numbers:

Cobb AP route:

• Buy a Cobb AP = $650
  • If they have a tune for your setup = $0 - If you are contempt with an off the shelf base tune.
  • If they don't have a base tune for your car (like for 2.5i's) = $150-$500 for Custom tune from authorized tuner
  • If you install an unsupported mod (bigger turbo, non Cobb intake, injectors) = $150-$500 for Custom tune from authorized tuner
  • If you want to tune it yourself, you have to take a forced class before they give you tune building software = $100-$150

Open Source route:

• Buy a Tactrix Cable = $170
  • If car/ecu is defined, build your own tune = $0
  • If car/ecu not defined, politely ask for someone to define it for you on Romraider = $0, if no one wants to help, you might be able to offer a bounty to motivate them.
  • If you want a tune for your specific setup = $0-$500 depending on if you can find a base tune or have to get a custom tune.

In the end, if you have a custom setup, it doesn't matter if you get a Cobb AP or Tactrix cable, your still gonna have to pay someone for a fine tune.

is there a good recommended source for this item?

I would get it straight from the source: https://www.tactrix.com/

It's a very small company so it's good to support them. I've seen them post on forums and help people out too. They also wrote the ECUFlash software, which is what lets you download/upload tunes to your car, no other flashing software out other currently.

22 Ascent STOCK

What worse for us turbo guys is most tuner wont touch your car these days unless you have a COBB AP I am fully versed in the Tractrix way of life as I used it on my 09 LGT and my 08 2.5i all the time to modify the tunes. Fastforward 4 years, they all under the COBB AP umbrella ($650 for the AP then another $150 for AccessRaceTuner if you want to DIY) Tuning Alliance has great eTunes for $200.

In the they had great tunes for $200 but you could do it all via Tactrix 2.0 and email :(

I wonder if it's because Tactrix requires the end user to know how to use a computer, while Cobb is just a plug and play? Maybe the tuners are just tired of having to do basic tech support. If so that's really a shame, I come from cars that needed daugtherboards soldered and chips burned for every tune update. Tactrix/EcuFlash + Romraider is a godsend in comparison.

22 Ascent STOCK

yeah I remember those days of daughter boards and such and had a turbo car back in those days that I wanted to tune that way, but my wife at the time redirected my priorities if you know what i mean. :confused::lol: I ended up moving away from doing any tuning that way and horsing around instead with carburetors and american v8 engines. I got my horsepower fix that way. But I surely remember the approach and had even looked hard at doing it to my then chrysler turbo motor. In retrospect, its probably a good thing I didnt because that thing turned into a total piece of garbage without helping it along :p

I wonder if it's because Tactrix requires the end user to know how to use a computer, while Cobb is just a plug and play? Maybe the tuners are just tired of having to do basic tech support. If so that's really a shame, I come from cars that needed daugtherboards soldered and chips burned for every tune update. Tactrix/EcuFlash + Romraider is a godsend in comparison.

The PnP aspect and end users frying ECUs im sure played a part in addition to COBB mapping more fields as a standard rather than special request. Also they can lock their tunes and a whole host of other things.

I think it was more about making things more foolproof. There are today, amazing as it seems, people who cant find their way around a computer at all, and I can see why making something that removes a need for computer literacy would have its place in the market. Reprogramming the ECU shouldnt be as hard as it is. I have accepted the nature of OBD1 and how locked down it is on my old 91 leggy as just how it is with some difficulty. OBD2, thankfully is different and knowing that there is access via Tactrix and Romraider is a relief. Once I get the rest of the car in decent mechanical condition and have a stable platform to tune on, I will be planning on doing this. As it is, I am still catching up with the maintenance the previous owner should have done but didnt do. And that was a pretty long list. Plus there is a chance I am looking a head gasket replacement in the reasonably near future. So tuning is a little bit down the list at the moment, but is slowly rising to the top. :) I'm looking forward to seeing what can be done.

Speaking as someone that is computer literate* (since the 80s) I will say the AP just makes things easy, and it's right there in a small format for watching live data.

As opposed to keeping a laptop, which was not listed as an expense but would be around $300, on your passenger seat.

SC

* - I really am mystified as to how people can have such a difficult time with computers. Especially people that grew up using them.

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

Anybody have any experience getting the ROM off a 04 Legacy GT Wagon (NA NOT DBW). I have done the 04 35th Anv. Wagon that is DBW.

ECU should be modern enough to be done. I gotta get the ROM off first.

I connected the two green test connectors and put the white connector on the connector block much like the 02 WRX has I believe. Similar setup but this is N/A.

Any ideas?

Anybody have any experience getting the ROM off a 04 Legacy GT Wagon (NA NOT DBW). I have done the 04 35th Anv. Wagon that is DBW.

ECU should be modern enough to be done. I gotta get the ROM off first.

I connected the two green test connectors and put the white connector on the connector block much like the 02 WRX has I believe. Similar setup but this is N/A.

Any ideas?

I might suggest making a new thread regarding that in the tuning sub-forum as this thread is more dedicated to what comes after what you're asking about. ;) Plus, you'll likely get a lot more answers there!

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

Appreciate the information. The reality is no one is interested in supporting this ECU/CAR for tuning so no forum will help. I posted in this thread as a suggestion from other threads/forums as you suggested. Kinda a circular problem. Hopefully I can get the ROM dumped myself and figure out how to update ECU flash to supported all the flashable NON-DBW Legacy/Outbacks that need some love..

THANKS

Archived