LegacyGT.com

Air Pump Recall - '07-'09 Legacy/Outback Turbos and more...

GTEASER

Got the recall notice for my wife's car today.

If I understand correctly, the problem is that the relay gets stuck in the "on" position, then the pump runs continuously, then the pump catches fire. And if you time it properly, the fire then burns down the building you parked in. Is this correct?

I ask because I hate my landlord would prefer to just unplug the pump for now (or maybe just remove the relay) so that we can use the car safely until it's convenient to come in for the recall.

I believe that removing the relay and/or unplugging the pump may result in a CEL.

GTEASER's 2012 Legacy GT - Sold

GTEASER's 2009 XTeaser - Sold

GTEASER's 1992 Legacy SS - Sold

Stapp's Law: “The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle.”

"Simple incompetence is a far more sinister force in the world than evil intent."

Yes you will get a CEL if you remove the pump. Never tried just removing the relay.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I really just want to confirmation that unplugging the pump removes the fire risk.

Since it's the relay that is failing, unplugging the pump will not cut power to the relay. However, I believe that unplugging the pump will prevent current draw thru the relay which would be the root of the problem. Still, I would unplug the relay if you're concerned about malfunction since that is the point of failure.

GTEASER's 2012 Legacy GT - Sold

GTEASER's 2009 XTeaser - Sold

GTEASER's 1992 Legacy SS - Sold

Stapp's Law: “The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle.”

"Simple incompetence is a far more sinister force in the world than evil intent."

Since it's the relay that is failing, unplugging the pump will not cut power to the relay. However, I believe that unplugging the pump will prevent current draw thru the relay which would be the root of the problem. Still, I would unplug the relay if you're concerned about malfunction since that is the point of failure.

I'm primarily concerned with the point of fire, actually. :)

The relay is getting replaced regardless, so I don't really care if it breaks, as long as nothing else gets damaged afterward. And it sounds like the pump is what catches fire, so disconnecting it should fix that.

Or is it the relay that catches fire?

Anyone know which relay gets replaced in the recall?

http://www.finelineimports.net/subaruwiringdiagrams/USA%2008%20WRX%20and%20STI/Power%20Supply%20Circuit.pdf

So after sitting at the dealership for 35 minutes, for my 4PM appointment, they tell me they don't have an resistor in stock... I guess they didn't know why I was there when I made the appointment telling them the car had the recall and giving them the notice number...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Whatever the recall say's. They knew I wasn't to happy about last week and I'm a known customer at that dealership. When checking in one of the other service writers asked me, don't you have the black wagon ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 4 weeks later...
Knocked out my air pump recall a couple was ago. Only needed relay replacement. Curiously, I had scheduled the appointment two wks prior and fully informed the dealership as to the reason for visit but they still told me the parts were not on hand for full pump replacement. I would've been pissed if parts needed, but got out quite painlessly. Oh, and they also reset the trans computer to re-learn idle speed after I described my issue of dying at low rpm while parking or stop sign traffic. That was a relief that only took two years of ownership to correctly diagnose. I haven't touched the battery, but it seems indicative of a problem following battery replacement. One less ghost in the machine. All in all, I would recommend Bay Area owners to Marin Subaru over Downtown Toyota&Subaru in Oakland any day of the week. Much classier in Marin, and you can choose which bridge/s to make a speedy getaway on.

Archived