LegacyGT.com

Air Pump Recall - '07-'09 Legacy/Outback Turbos and more...

GTEASER

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/10/26/subaru-recalls-4-models-turbo-air-pump-can-catch-fire.html

Recall is not initiated yet but coming soon.

Affected vehicles...

2007-2009 Legacy GT and Outback XT

2008-2014 WRX/STi

2009-2013 Forester XT

WASHINGTON -- Subaru of America will recall about 100,000 vehicles equipped with turbocharged engines over increased risk of a fire.

A faulty relay controlling the secondary air injection pump in the turbocharged vehicles could fail and cause the unit to overheat and melt, potentially leading to a fire, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s website. Subaru has received at least two reports of fires related to the issue, according to a filing with NHTSA.

The recall covers 100,127 units of the Legacy midsize sedan and Outback crossover from model years 2007-2009, as well as the 2009-2013 Forester crossover and 2008-2014 Impreza compact. Only models with turbocharged engines are affected.

Dealers will replace the secondary air injection pump relay on the affected vehicles. Subaru hasn’t said when it will begin to notify owners.

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

I wonder if they will reimburse owners that paid to replace that system due to failure caused by the bad relay? I guess that relay is for the pump itself not the solenoids, or at least that is how i understood it.

Either way I took care of that two years ago by disabling the P2441/2/3/4 codes, pulling the relays and unplugging the pump.

I would like to see them replace the air injection valves that get clogged and stop working. One of mine started to fail around 42k. I ended up turning the CEL off. P2441 and P2444

Makes me wonder if the clogged nozzles are the real problem - more backpressure for the pump leads to higher current that burns the relay.

453747.png

I would like to see them replace the air injection valves that get clogged and stop working. One of mine started to fail around 42k. I ended up turning the CEL off. P2441 and P2444

Make sure you do that after you confirm they are open! if you disable the DTC prior and dont unplug the pump thats bad.

• 1 month later...

Just got my notice. Question: where on engine is this, and are any fluids involved? I'd hate to change oil (with high dollar synthetic...good stuff, though not 5-30) only to have them drain & refill a couple hundred miles later with who knows what oil. That dealer was using Mobil "semi-syn" last time I checked (or whatever Mobil Super 7000 is or was).

2007 Outback XT

Just got my notice. Question: where on engine is this, and are any fluids involved? I'd hate to change oil (with high dollar synthetic...good stuff, though not 5-30) only to have them drain & refill a couple hundred miles later with who knows what oil. That dealer was using Mobil "semi-syn" last time I checked (or whatever Mobil Super 7000 is or was).

2007 Outback XT

Its an issue with the relay so they only replace the relay in the under hood fuse box.

If you've deleted the air pump is there any reason to have the relay replaced? Is the relay still energized and subject to failure?

I've seen lots of pumps fail after the solenoid valves stuck open, allowing exhaust gas to flow up to the pump itself. On startup there's so much water vapor in the exhaust gas it quickly condenses in the pump and that in turns gets rusty and seizes up. I've seen a few cars have the pump short out, probably from condensation, and that took out the relay in question.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

It may still be energized but probably won't fail. But if you bring the car in for the recall they will most likely also discover the deleted air pump.

It never occurred to me to check if the relay was deleted at the same time as the pump delete, but if it's still there I'll be deleting it now.

Got my notification. I'm storing it in the same box with the pump, solenoids, air ducts and associated junk. Clearly they're having a much easier time sourcing replacement relays than they are with the air bags.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Was at the dealer picking up some parts and went to check out what a new to me '09 spec B needed in terms of recalls and this was the only one. Air pump relay that stays open. I got a WTF look after I said no bother, that part is already gone.

Just got the notice for my 07 Spec.B.

Frankly, I'm a bit tired of recalls. Fourth time in the last year: brake lines, airbag, dash, now this.

Never get tired of recalls. I received the brake line recall a couple years ago so only the airbag and relay. The dash is voluntary but they decided it's an issue even though it's not a safety item. I think they are doing the dash mainly due to the airbag.

Archived