LegacyGT.com

VF46 Turbo Source - eBay / Amazon?

Hey folks - 2005 LGT, 110K with OEM VF40 turbo.

It wines recently until WOT acceleration - still need to pull the inlet to inspect the shaft play. Turbo is likely on its way out.

So - I did some searching, and haven't found a definitive answer on turbo sources.

1. VF40 --> VF46. Want to upgrade to a better flowing turbo. Stage 1 car (intake, exhaust, tune). Figure since I had to replace the turbo anyway, might as well get a bigger one. It's a 5EAT, wife's daily, so it needs to be streetable.

2. What are you sources for a turbo that is dependable and last 40-60k, or as long as the OEM one? I've seen a few on eBay and Amazon, but I'd like to hear experiences from the experts on the forum.

Thanks!

Links on eBay and Amazon:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-Legacy-Outback-2-5L-IHI-VF46-14411AA670-Turbo-charger-By-New-Cartridge-/252200670732

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-Subaru-Legacy-Outback-2-5L-Brand-OEM-IHI-VF46-14411AA670-Turbocharger-Turbo-/301142433940

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-Subaru-Legacy-Outback-2-5L-Brand-OEM-IHI-VF46-14411AA670-Turbocharger-Turbo-/301142433940

https://www.amazon.com/Subaru-Outback-14411AA511-Turbo-Turbocharger/dp/B00MNUEG4G/

https://www.amazon.com/Subaru-Legacy-Outback-Turbo-Turbocharger/dp/B00R6TZG7U/

https://www.amazon.com/Turbine-Turbocharger-Outback-14411AA670-14411AA6709L/dp/B01J1C3J4G/

Or this fancy guy?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ARASHI-Performance-Billet-Turbo-TD06SL2-20G-8-On-Subaru-Legacy-Outback-VF40-VF46-/282225406668

BANNED FROM THE TIKI FORUM. :lol:

first two amazons have bad reviewes, 3rd has no reviews

first ebay seems safest. last ebay may be ok but you will need a retune and it comes from taiwan

not sure about other ebays. Someone is going probably post something about not buying ebay and amazon turbos soon.

first two amazons have bad reviewes, 3rd has no reviews

not sure about other ebays. Someone is going probably post something about not buying ebay and amazon turbos soon.

That would be most of us. Only buy from a trusted member on here. http://www.tuningalliance.com can rebuild yours or member JmP6889928 can rebuild them too.

Seriously this is not something as simple as going to ebay...trust me. That's if you plan on keeping the car for a long while.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Dont buy a no name brand from ebay. Cheap turbos are not ballanced properly, and cant handle the unrestricted oil pressure our motors put out.

The cheapest turbo you will find that is even comparable are Arashi, Kinugawa, Kamaka. Sellers like speedyracer have compleete crap that wolnt last even a few k miles.

Other than those 3 brands i mentioned your best bet is a used one or aftermarket upgrade like a bnr or fp

Someone is going probably post something about not buying ebay and amazon turbos soon.

That would be most of us.

Dont buy a no name brand from ebay.

That would be most of us. Don't buy a no name brand from ebay.

It's one thing to buy a bent steel tube with no moving parts from ebay, but a turbo is an extremely high-precision machine that spins in excess of 20,000 rpms in incredibly tight tolerances and must be as close to perfectly balanced as possible. Turbo is not a good part to cheap out on.

Get your VF40 rebuilt. VF40 -> VF46 is not really much of an upgrade. Some reliability upgrade and a minor power improvement, but most folks that go to the trouble to swap a turbo go at least to a VF52, though I understand you don't really have a lot of the supporting parts.

Start thinking about that a bit. You would be much better off with a rebuilt VF40, a catless uppipe, a nice high-flow catted downpipe and tune than you would be with stock full exhaust with a still catted uppipe and an "upgraded" el cheapo no-name ebay crap turbo that's going to end up restricted by your stock exhaust anyway.

And if you truly think it's your turbo on the way out, you should really (really) stop driving the car. Replacing an unblown turbo is miles and miles (and miles) better than replacing one that has already blown. See the turbo failure wiki sticky right at the top of the turbo section. You do not want a blown turbo if you can avoid it. It has the potential to destroy the entire engine.

Also note, if you go from VF40 -> VF46, you are gonna need a new tune. Honestly, if you are gonna get a VF40 rebuilt with upgraded compressor and turbine wheels, you should get a retune. If you buy a new VF40 or have one rebuilt to oem specs, you probably don't need a new tune (though it still wouldn't be a bad idea).

Good luck!

Edited by Dujo

Thanks for the feedback guys. i kind of figured as much. Seems pretty comparable to the diesel truck market...except there's let rebuilding. I'm glad you guys see what I'm driving at - looking for something reliable, not completely low buck. I thought given the age of these vehicles, there may have been an outlet for our turbos.
BANNED FROM THE TIKI FORUM. :lol:

another satisfied JMP customer. I've since sold my car, unfortunately, but while I had it, his turbo ran great and made me quite happy. And he was great to work with - took the time just to chat with me on the phone about this and that and whatever and to make sure I had everything straight.

I know a guy that buys one on ebay every 30k miles. He's never had a problem but said he replaces it before it has a chance to go bad.

I've seen TurboXS rebuilt turbos and have often wondered if anyone has one on their car. It's a reputable brand and iirc an upgraded vf46 was around $400.

Do not under any circumstances buy a non IHI turbo off amazon or ebay.

Also for record the differences between vf40/46 are very small, and aren't noticeable for power. If you want to upgrade, get a VF52 but you'll need a tune for that, and DP is recommended at minimum.

-Brian

Contact us for all your tuning and performance parts needs! Etuning the legacy community since 2008!

Follow us on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I know a guy that buys one on ebay every 30k miles. He's never had a problem but said he replaces it before it has a chance to go bad.

So this guy, buy's a ebay turbo every 30,000 miles and replaces the one he bought 30,000 miles ago...?

Yea that's got to be saving money.

My VF52, I bought new, TA tuned the car, 90,000 miles later the turbo has no shaft play.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

So this guy, buy's a ebay turbo every 30,000 miles and replaces the one he bought 30,000 miles ago...?

Yea that's got to be saving money.

My VF52, I bought new, TA tuned the car, 90,000 miles later the turbo has no shaft play.

That's what he told me. We got on the topic when I was working on his wife's 06 lgt 5eat. I was shocked by how much pep it had and he went on to mention the turbos. I remember his explanation being: 4 ebay turbos would last him longer than 1 oem turbo and cost around the same. He's a body tech so they aren't known for their mechanical knowledge :lol:

I didn't say it was good advice but he's had good luck so I guess to each their own.

Yep, I guess it's more of a crap shoot using a ebay turbo...I guess he likes the work involved in replacing the turbo.

I wonder if he bolts the turbo to the up pipe...;)

• 4 years later...
Well, taking into consideration the fact that we are in 2020, the VF-46 is a bit of outdated. I own a 2013 wrx, and I am facing some issues with the turbo as well. I am looking to replace it for a bigger one, however I am not yet sure which one I should pick. I mean, the cheaper ones, look to be no upgrade to the one I am having right now, but the bigger ones are actually having some terrible reviews. I am looking forward to the Garrett GTX2860R, I know that it costs like 1.000-1.400 bucks.

Where do you live ?

I would suggest you talk with a Tuner before you spend you money on what you think you want, but the Tuner will know what works well with your overall package. It's about balance, not just a big turbo.

I recommend two Tuners, if your on the west coast of the USA, https://www.cryotuneperformance.com/

If close to the east coast, tuningalliance@gmail.com Mike has kept both my cars running great of over 10 years.

Stay away from the crap you find on ebay. This is one of those things where you get what you pay for.

If you can't afford to do it right the first time...it will end up coasting you more money in the end. May be you can ask the Tuner for a step program where you begin to do up grades in steps based on how much money you can spend at a time.