LegacyGT.com

Airbag light, no horn after front crossmember replacement

Hello everyone. I just had my front crossmember ("engine cradle") replaced by a family friend's shop. Upon driving home, I noticed the airbag light was on and that the horn does not work. I can take it back to have them fix it, but I won't be able to for a few days, and would prefer not to make them do it if it is something I can handle easily. My question is: is there a specific plug or something to look for that is undone/removed during the procedure to replace the crossmember? I know that detaching the steering column was necessary, but I do not know at what point and to what extent. The only plug that I could find under the dash board that could possibly be related (although probably isn't) is shown in the attached pictures. One picture shows the approximate location of the plug, when seen from the drivers door, and the other is the plug itself. The plug in question is a black plug with 3 red wires with various color stripes and a blue wire.

Any input is appreciated.

http://i67.tinypic.com/1rrbyb.jpg

http://i65.tinypic.com/30d8r9u.jpg

The fuse is fine, that was the first thing I checked. I cannot find where the connector is supposed to plug in. I can't get my head far enough under there to see all around, but it doesn't appear to have a receiving end. The cruise control button illuminates when I push it, but I have not attempted to use it while driving. I can go do that, but I figured if it wasn't going to work, the button would not illuminate.

When the column was disconnected, I wonder if the wheel was spun further than it normally is.

I had a similar issue with a Grand Prix about 2 years ago. I had the subframe dropped and the steering wheel ended up being turned many, many times while the column was disconnected, this resulted in an Airbag light on the dash.

That may be a good question to ask, if that were the case I would assume it won't be a simple fix. Good luck.

I figured if it wasn't going to work, the button would not illuminate.

I don't really think the light working has anything to do with it's functionality. I could be wrong but I think the light just comes on when the button is pushed. I mean if you removed the bulb from the button, your cruise would still work, lol.

Yeah, but it is not a mechanical button. The light illuminates when cruise control is activated. If it isn't activated, it won't illuminate. I'm not saying cruise control is dependent on the light, but that the light is dependent on cruise control. I will just go drive it to verify lol

Sara32013- I guess I was wrong! Cruise control does not work currently. I may switch the fuse out when I have a chance, just in case it popped beneath the plastic, but I don't expect that to solve it. Any further input is appreciated. If it comes to it, I will have to have them tear the steering column apart to find out what happened.

Archived