LegacyGT.com

Vampire TPMS light on at night

I will try that. Nothing was fixed. It was perfect until this issue started last month.

Yes, I meant carbon monoxide would kill me if I run it 10 min in closed garage.

I just suggest this because it's the only part of the car that "knows" it's dark out.

The receiver is on the rear deck, no?

Regarding the comment about CO2. I assume you actually meant carbon MONoxide. Does the car have to be running to experience this? Just key on no?

Try this: During the day, put black electrical tape over the sun-load/auto-headlight sensor. Confirm its reading darkness by putting your headlights to auto, then turn them off.

If this triggers the problem, then either someone crossed some wires while fixing something electrical (sun-load sensor "fixed" recently?) or... There is logic in the BIU to check and report on bad TPMS sensors only when it gets dark, or your BIU is going nuts.

Tried all the suggestions during daytime...No TPMS issue. I drive for about 45 minute from home to work... TPMS light does not come on.

Ok, next test is to put the car in a dark garage and turn the key to run without starting it and wait to see if the TPMS light comes on. Do this in the middle of the day, during a time you otherwise would not be experiencing this.

If this does not trigger the issue, then do the same thing outside at night to see if it happens, I.e. just to confirm that the car doesn't have to be running (don't see why it would).

God am I glad I don't have TPMS.

• 2 weeks later...
When the light is active it should know what sensor it is. If it only comes on at night it could be temp related. Once they know what sensor it is, have them replace it

Temp is ruled out. In S.SF, temperature is always 50- 65. Light comes no matter what temperature... 45 or it's 80 at night.

I'd love to scan that car. I think he mentioned previously that the dealer said there were no codes. If there was something stored, this thread could be a bottomless pit of conspiracies.

I show the dealer multiple videos of the sensor light coming on at night and went off during the day.

I also show them the scan result with my $50 obd scanner while the light is on. They scanned it at the dealership and told me there's no code to be found.

Still waiting for resolution from dealership and Subaru of America. :spin::spin::spin:

• 4 months later...

Update.

Discovered a new problem. When I get a flat in the day time, the TPMS sensor would not come on.

Call the dealer and was told that they will need the car for a few days. They told me that Subaru USA Tech support was on standby and ready to help.

Took it to dealer for routine maintenance and TPMS related issues on 3/27/2017. They kept it for 2 days. They were able to replicate TPMS light coming on in the evening, but No code were found.

When they dig deeper, they found couple of codes related to the brake light switch. They noticed that my Brake Light bulbs were LED. These were installed in Nov. 2013 and did not cause any issue until August 2016.

In order for them to go further, I need to remove the LED brake light bulbs and install the factory recommended bulbs back.

LED brake light bulbs were replaced on 3/29/2017. Drove it that night for about 30 minutes to see if TPMS would come on...

TMPS light DID NOT come on. Will try again and report back in a few days.

This is interesting! I recently installed LED lights and have a similar issue with my summer tires installed. However, I was having a similar issue with the tires installed last year before installing the LED lights. I chalked it up to a low battery in one of the sensors as I never had issues with the winter tires and wheels. (they are cloned sensors to the summer wheels) I've had instances of the TPMS light coming on and going off 2-3 times during a 31 mile trip. My car is a 2008 Legacy.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/tpms-trouble-code-storage-261107.html

I'm curious as to what you find out.

I have tried putting LED brake lights in my car and I was getting all types of weird dashboard lights after about 20 mins of driving. Even with resistors it did the same. Every bulb in my car is LED except the brake lights cause of this.

Guess that's why my TPMS light is been wack lately. I have all LED's in my car with resistors on both brake lights and also the turn signals. I also turned the trunk lights into brake/ parkin lights and have been having the flashing TPMS light come on at night at the same spot on my way home from work. I think I'm gonna track down the wire to the light in the kick panel and just cut it. Been driving for 20yrs without one just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update.

Discovered a new problem. When I get a flat in the day time, the TPMS sensor would not come on.

Call the dealer and was told that they will need the car for a few days. They told me that Subaru USA Tech support was on standby and ready to help.

Took it to dealer for routine maintenance and TPMS related issues on 3/27/2017. They kept it for 2 days. They were able to replicate TPMS light coming on in the evening, but No code were found.

When they dig deeper, they found couple of codes related to the brake light switch. They noticed that my Brake Light bulbs were LED. These were installed in Nov. 2013 and did not cause any issue until August 2016.

In order for them to go further, I need to remove the LED brake light bulbs and install the factory recommended bulbs back.

LED brake light bulbs were replaced on 3/29/2017. Drove it that night for about 30 minutes to see if TPMS would come on...

TMPS light DID NOT come on. Will try again and report back in a few days.

UPDATE:

2 more days with no TPMS Light sensor issue. That's 3 days in a row with no issue after the LED Brake Light Bulbs were replaced with the conventional ones.

I will drive it this weekend to make sure nothing creeps up and going to the dealer on Monday 4/3/2017 to have an oil change and do a follow up with Subaru USA.

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.

Interesting.

Also realize that many LED bulbs replacing dual filament bulbs causes back-current going backwards through the brake light circuit so a diode on the brake wiring may resolve it.

Another factor is that some LED lamps have a switched regulator that causes radio interference and TPMS uses radio. This is a great annoyance for radio communication systems.

453747.png

UPDATE:

2 more days with no TPMS Light sensor issue. That's 3 days in a row with no issue after the LED Brake Light Bulbs were replaced with the conventional ones.

I will drive it this weekend to make sure nothing creeps up and going to the dealer on Monday 4/3/2017 to have an oil change and do a follow up with Subaru USA.

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.

As of today 4/6/2017. NO Issue with the TPMS sensor light after original / non LED brake lights were installed.

That's a whole week with no issue. :):):):lol::lol::lol:

Archived