LegacyGT.com

What engine for a 2001 GT?

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and trying to get some information about a car I'm buying. It's an '01 Legacy GT Limited, it's complete except for the engine that is seized and half disassembled. I was originally planning on swapping the EJ25 that's in my '01 Outback Limited, but I would get more for selling the car whole so that's what I'm going to do. I'm familiar with Subarus and could swap the engine in no time, but I'm trying to figure out the options with buying a used engine. I have around $1000 to make the job happen. Trying not to buy a JDM engine because I'll have limited opportunities to work on the car before it is running and I can get it street legal. Should I be looking for an identical EJ25 to put in, or a different engine that won't require re-wiring? I am kind of tired about worrying about my headgaskets, so if I had a more reliable EJ motor I might be more satisfied. But I'd rather not put an engine with less power in. Any input given will be appreciated!

Hi,

Any EJ251/253 from a '99-'05 Forester, Legacy, OB, Impreza will fit under the intake manifold. But you'll need to do some research about the crank/cam sprockets and sensors matching up as there were a few changes along the way.

The USMB and Subaruforester.org will also have this info if no one else responds on here.

You'll keep worrying about HG until you either buy a different car or put them in brand-new when installing the 2.5 engine.....sorry to say.

Personally, I think it's short-sighted NOT to do the HG on any used Subaru engine, but it does add $$ to the project, depending on whether you just replace the HG or have the heads R&R'd, too.

And getting a complete EJ25x engine for $1000 might be tough....but maybe not so much in the NE.

Why exactly are you trying to steer clear of something JDM? You say you'll have limited opportunities to work on it, but I'm not sure how that corresponds with the JDM engine. Anyhow a JDM 2.0 can be had for less than $1000 and is said to be a direct swap. I've never done it so I can't say for sure but that's what I've read. They are rated at 165hp while the 2.5 is rated 175. Not too bad considering the price difference, also they are usually found with less than 50,000 miles.

I don't want to wire a harness, i don't have the time to do that. I have no garage right now so I'll be doing the work at a friend's house, i need to do it in one day. This place: https://www.jdmenginedepot.com is in my town, and they offer that engine for cheap. The only problem i see is that i need to pass an emissions test in this state and i don't know how difficult that would be with a JDM engine.

If I'm not mistaken, all wiring should be the same. Also I believe Japan has VERY strict emission laws. I don't believe you'll have a problem passing with a JDM engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope so, but as far as I'm aware a JDM engine doesn't have OBDII, i mean, if i could use my original harness and ECU that might alleviate the problem, but i have no real way of knowing that right now. I haven't found much information online for this swap either. Can anyone point me towards some good resources?

When I said ours was rated at 175 I was wrong, I apologize the 2.5 NA is rated at 165 while the JDM 2.0 is rated at 155. Anyhow, if you do an eBay search for "2001 Subaru Legacy engine" you should see a bunch of JDM 2.0s listed as 2.5 replacements. To me that would seem like a direct replacement using your wiring harness and such. I have heard here and there that you may or may not have to use your intake manifold but I can't say. I hope to do the swap one day if my engine gives out but until then this is all the info I can give. If you want something that you know is gonna go in with no issues find yourself another 2.5 but at LEAST do the head gaskets before you put it in. Take a look at the oil pan gasket, cam seals, etc. Do it right the first time and save yourself the headaches.

Hi,

Any EJ251/253 from a '99-'05 Forester, Legacy, OB, Impreza will fit under the intake manifold. But you'll need to do some research about the crank/cam sprockets and sensors matching up as there were a few changes along the way.

going with this and what sara said, the big intake issue is the EGR if your car has one you need to find a complete one with it, if your car doesnt have one you can still run with one since no wires go to it.

if you run into problems you have all the original sensors and everything you can swap over to make it work.

Thanks for the help guys, I'm just concerned how a 2.0 will run with a 2.5 ecu. Also I've heard that the timing belts are the same (save for the cam/crank gears), but I'm not sure about the rest of the engine. You can find EJ25 parts anywhere, but I'm not so sure how easy it would (or wouldn't) be to find head gasket kits or bottom end parts for this engine. I'm on a low budget and I do all my own work so this is a bit of a concern for me. If I knew that (as well as the emissions BS I have to go through with), I'd definitely do the swap for the affordability and convenience.

First of all is there anyway to change your name on here lol. Sara32013 is my daughter and her DOB, and is also an email I use which is why I used it on here lol. Anyhow you have a really good point there. I think someone in another forum suggested that you must swap over the timing gears from the 2.5 for the computer to work, but the 2.5 computer will work. With the parts I really have no clue. You probably won't be able to walk into Autozone and buy parts for it. Your local Subaru dealer would probably be able to get whatever you need or possibly eBay.

so I would look upon this site for the 2.5 to 2.2 swap, im certain that will help you with the decision to go to a different motor than your ecu wants. i will even look soon.

basically your left (driver side) cam sprocket and sensor which is the only one monitored, crank position sensor, that ERG if its a thing in your car, are the only concerns. and thats only if it doesnt wanna work. basically you dont wanna run a jdm tune (ecu) with jdm/usdm motor. this is because they have better emmissions then us. they run 100 octane fuel. we are 85, 87, 91 (in CO at least)

but running a jdm motor on a usdm tune(ecu) is possible since its all about what the computer wants. all the sensors in your 2.5 will swap over easy but i dont think you will have to worry since they are probably the same. but really you have eveything you need since your doing a swap you'll have everything for your old motor that doesn't or might not work on the new one.

easiest solution you find the same model year,trim, tranny, emission contorl system, and everything perfectly like yours to swap. longest part will be finding that perfectly used car.

or you use what you can find now and you make it work now at whatever cost, hardest part could be making it work, or it could be as easy as the first solution. you never know till you try

shit is hard we understand but so many people can help you here or there even after you have it all torn apart in your buddies yard

i suck at explaining things so feel free and be confused

First of all is there anyway to change your name on here lol. Sara32013 is my daughter and her DOB, and is also an email I use which is why I used it on here lol.

sorry if i offended you, i just said sara because it was the most PC thing i thought of (instead of he/she). i follow your threads and give shitty advice my name is Wesley/ Wes, what would you like to be known by, and i/we will call you that.

It's an '01 Legacy GT Limited, it's complete except for the engine that is seized and half disassembled. ... Should I be looking for an identical EJ25 to put in, or a different engine that won't require re-wiring?

The first thing to check is what engine is in the '01 Legacy GT Limited. There are two choices. 5MT has an EJ252. 4EAT has an EJ 251. The difference is in the sensors on the intake and throttle body and front A/F sensor and the cam gears.

To do a swap easily if the donor motor does not match 251/252, you need to keep the intake and throttle body from the old motor and use the cam gears from the old motor so you might as well do the timing belt and water pump while you are in there.

The 251 has the newer throttle body and a wide band (6 wire) A/F sensor and some other bits on the intake manifold that work with the newer throttle body.

The 252 has the older style throttle body and a narrow band (4 wire) A/F sensor.

The ECMs are not completely wire compatible from 5MT and 4EAT either.

Subarus used two different styles of cam gears over the years. The difference is in the marks on the back of the gear that the sensor reads to tell the position. If you have the wrong gears, the car won't even turn over.

All that being said, the blocks and heads are the same and any donor motor can be used.

For advanced points, combining different blocks and heads can yield increased compression ratios. Search for EJ hybrid engines.

Archived