LegacyGT.com

intake manifolds....

I found out something interesting today talking to the guys at my local dealer. Seems for different subaru models of the same model year, sometimes the intake manifolds are different in order to meet emission requirements. It makes me wonder if we could do the lego thing with intakes and mix and match to make more torque or more top end power. Has anyone played with trying different intakes? Also, I wonder if the 2.2 intake will fit an ej25d? Any thoughts?

Hi,

This is all covered on other Threads and on other Subie forums, if you want more info.

'90-'98 EJ18, EJ22 and EJ22T ('91-'94 Turbos) SOHC (Single OverHead Cam) intake manifolds (IM) are the same bolt pattern - where they connect to the heads.

AFAIK, the design and shape are the same from '90-'95, but in '97 "...the intake manifold has been reshaped to increase the airflow mass and speed, contributing to improved low and mid engine speed operation.." per Wikipedia.

Some of the differences are related to having EGR ('95-'98 automatics), different vacuum port fittings, etc. I've noticed that the 1.8 IM does look different than the EJ22 model, but don't know if it's better/worse.

The EJ18, EJ22 and EJ22T SOHC IM's are not interchangeable w/the EJ25D IM's - D(ouble)OHC, so swapping them around isn't an option.

And, in case you were wondering, the 1999+ EJ22 and EJ25 SOHC IM's are interchangeable w/each other, but not w/the earlier engines.

Archived